Bring on the Combine....Ryan is Number 1 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring on the Combine....Ryan is Number 1

There is not any physical tool that Ryan has the wow factor in. His arm, athleticism, and mobility are all solid, but nothing that makes him a Number 1 pick in the draft.

will we ever stop overrating physical tools in a QB?

Vince Young is horrible throwing on the run, Matt Ryan is quite good at it.

if you want physical abilities, then would you draft Dennis Dixon first?

food for thought...

who is the all time record holder for INT's in a career in the nfl.

is he any good?

Doesnt matter, they were both wrong. No I wasnt talking about Pennington

You are all just kidding right?

What were you talking about? First overall or first rounder? Pennington was 18th overall pick in 2000 when Parcells was the GM

Only thing that matters is it isnt Matt Ryan :lol:

Probably Favre...but dont even begin to compare Favre and Ryan at this juncture.

your looking too much into the post.

yes I was talking about favre. I think green bay has done just fine putting up with favre throwing int's.

and there is no comparison between the two at this juncture, or perhaps ever.

Ryan was made by the VT game where he led them on that 2 minute drive, despite the fact he played badly in that game up until the last 2 minutes. And for all the passes he threw you'd think he would be able to do better than a 1.5/1 TD/Int ratio

Why would u be extremely mad at aquiring the piece of the puzzle that will get us over the hump? very confusing...are u a Pats fan?

:sidelol:

Wait...

:sidelol:

Okay, I'm done laughing at that statement. Well, I suggest you watch some more Ryan tape. The dude is an interception machine, makes HORRIBLE decisions on the move, and lacks great accuracy. The reason scouts are so high on him is because he's prototypical QB size and has a big arm. He's just another media darling and another reason we can't believe 90% of the scouts out there.

You'd think maybe someday they'd start looking for intangibles, smarts, and accuracy rather then how tall and strong of an arm a quarterback has. There's a reason 50% of first round QBs are COMPLETE busts.

Ryan was made by the VT game where he led them on that 2 minute drive, despite the fact he played badly in that game up until the last 2 minutes. And for all the passes he threw you'd think he would be able to do better than a 1.5/1 TD/Int ratio
He was the number one QB even before that in alo0t of people's eyes though that game definitely vaulted him past Brohm. After that game you just didnt see anyone have Brohm ahead. But there were already alot of people in his corner before that game

No but his intangibles are through the roof and none of his physical tools are poor. He does everything well with superior intangibles

We currently have a QB on the roster who was noted for his intangibles as well as the physical tools. Lets give him a chance to see what he can do with some talent around him. ;)

He was the number one QB even before that in alo0t of people's eyes though that game definitely vaulted him past Brohm. After that game you just didnt see anyone have Brohm ahead. But there were already alot of people in his corner before that game
I really just don't see it. He stats don't pop out to me, he has a good arm not great.His accuracy is average.And he throws alot of picks in relation to how many TDs he throws(if you defend his picks by saying he throws alot of passes, he should throw more TDs). I think he should be a mid-round first pick but since hes a QB he automatically climbs the rankings.PLUS we don't know what we have in beck, i am all for drafting someone in the 3rd maybe even the 2nd depending on who it is, but #1 pick in the draft when we hae so many other holes and us already having a prospect at QB that we gave only 3 games with a horrible supporting cast agianst 2 of the best Ds in the league and expected him to be Marino.

We currently have a QB on the roster who was noted for his intangibles as well as the physical tools. Lets give him a chance to see what he can do with some talent around him. ;)
Can someone tell me how you rank intangibles? isn't the reason their called intangibles because you can't rank them?

Can someone tell me how you rank intangibles? isn't the reason their called intangibles because you can't rank them?

Well for instance if someone says "he has good football instincts". We have all heard that phrase and can tell the difference. For example if we talk about the LB position: Zach Thomas (who I was lucky enough to play against his senior season at TT) is known for his instincts. Channing Crowder on the other hand is not, he is known for gettign caught in the wash and taking bad angles. You may not be able to quantify their existence in numerical form, but they do exist on a visible level.

I think with QBs some of the intangibles are the leadership qualities that the position demands. For instance Ryan has a certain steady confidence throughout his games that gets his players to rally arund him. No matter the situation he never loses his confidence. Similar to how Eli was in the playoffs and SuperBowl. I have heard the same about Beck. I think Beck showed a basic cool in his first two starts and then a sort of a panic set in when things started going wrong in the next two games. Too early to judge Beck on that, I'm just bringing up an examplee of intangible. If Beck displays the cool he had in his first two games throughout his career then you could say that that sort of calm cool persona is an intangible. Obviously if its the second two games that would be a bad intangible.

Some QBs have a knack for pulling out wins in the waning minutes of the game. Elway, Marino, Montana. Their whole teams believed that if they had two minutes and 80 yards to go they were still in it. Ray Lucas on the other hand was devoid of this intangible

Being a sharp mind is another. Having football smarts or great instincts another. A good vocal personality helps also at the QB position. One of the concerns about Flacco coming out of Senior Bowl week was that he was sort of introverted and quiet. You want a more personable character that can rally the troops when things go bad. Beck supposedly had this college but failed to bring it his rookie year. He will have to have that personality to play for Parcells or he will instantly find himself in the doghouse. Parcells doesnt suffer wallfowers

I really just don't see it. He stats don't pop out to me, he has a good arm not great.His accuracy is average.And he throws alot of picks in relation to how many TDs he throws(if you defend his picks by saying he throws alot of passes, he should throw more TDs). I think he should be a mid-round first pick but since hes a QB he automatically climbs the rankings.PLUS we don't know what we have in beck, i am all for drafting someone in the 3rd maybe even the 2nd depending on who it is, but #1 pick in the draft when we hae so many other holes and us already having a prospect at QB that we gave only 3 games with a horrible supporting cast agianst 2 of the best Ds in the league and expected him to be Marino.

Yeah I really think the openess to drafting Beck is in direct realtion to how much hope or belief you have that Beck can develop into a Drew Bress type of career. If you believe he's on his way and just needs time then the urgency to draft a QB disipates. If you are unsure you are willing to leave it to Parcells to decide. If you feel that the odds of that happening are huge or dont believe that then I think you definitely want Ryan.

It also depends on how you view the comparison between Ryan and Beck. Me personally, I feel that Beck is more likely to be a better version of Fiedler but not in the Drew Brees category. Ryan on the other hand has impressed the hell out of me and feel he's a fifty fifty shot of becoming a top ten QB with a floor no lower than a top 15. At worst I think he's Matt Schaub and therefore I'm much more willing o spend the draft pick because even if he doesnt get above the Matt Scvhaub level that is still a tradeable player. And if Beck rises above that level we can trade Ryan. But if Beck cant rise above that level then we would have someone who's capable of leading us at least into the playoffs and if things break right into the SB

Back
Top Bottom