Bryan Cox or Zach Thomas | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryan Cox or Zach Thomas

No offence but that might be one of the dumbest statements I've ever read. How in the hell can the tackles be overrated for a Linebacker? Thats like saying RBI's are overrated for a clean up hitter.

No, you're missing the obvious.

Our defense was DESIGNED to filter the plays to the middle linebacker when Zach was here. Those tackle stats reflect that.

When Brian played here it was a totally different defense. Cox went on to play for the jests and Parcells and made plenty of big plays for them. Zach hasn't fared well since he left here.

Zach was an excellent lb, because he was so smart, dedicated & focused. Cox was more of the typical, tough, bigger, much more intimidating type of athelete. I liked them both, but if I had to pick one it would be Brian Cox.

No offence but that might be one of the dumbest statements I've ever read. How in the hell can the tackles be overrated for a Linebacker? Thats like saying RBI's are overrated for a clean up hitter.

The tackle stat is subjective, where and when are these tackles taking place? The example I always use on here is from Week 2 of the '05 season. We beat you 17-7 and Zach was invisible but when I came on the board the next day I was told how great he was b/c he had 10 tackles.

You sure about that?

Here are Ray Lewis (A 1st ballot HOF'er) stats
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiRa00.htm

Here are Zach's
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomZa01.htm

I'm not suggesting Zach was ever as good as Ray but his stats are close enough to one day be considered for the hall if Ray is a no-brainer.

By the way he has more tackles then ANY LB currently in the hall.

This is why stats are dangerous. It's not like comparing RBs, QBs, WRs or pass rushers.

You sure about that?

Here are Ray Lewis (A 1st ballot HOF'er) stats
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiRa00.htm

Here are Zach's
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomZa01.htm

I'm not suggesting Zach was ever as good as Ray but his stats are close enough to one day be considered for the hall if Ray is a no-brainer.

By the way he has more tackles then ANY LB currently in the hall.

I'm POSITIVE...and to think otherwise is stupid and homerism.
Ray Lewis made game changing plays and led a defense that was resposible for a Super Bowl.
Zach led a defense that crumpled under big game pressure.
This is from the biggest Dolphin homer ever.
But facts are facts.

No, you're missing the obvious.

Our defense was DESIGNED to filter the plays to the middle linebacker when Zach was here. Those tackle stats reflect that.

When Brian played here it was a totally different defense. Cox went on to play for the jests and Parcells and made plenty of big plays for them. Zach hasn't fared well since he left here.

Zach was an excellent lb, because he was so smart, dedicated & focused. Cox was more of the typical, tough, bigger, much more intimidating type of athelete. I liked them both, but if I had to pick one it would be Brian Cox.

Okay and he made the tackle when it came to him, plus if anybody watched Zach play knows he was one of the best outside pursuing LB's of all time and a total ball hawk in the sense that he never followed players he followed the ball. The guy was always in on every tackle (not just the one "filtered" to him)
How many times did you see him cut off the outside run because he was quicker to the corners then most of the RB's?

I'm not saying he is going to get into the hall, I'm only saying he will get a lot more consideration then many would think.

Zach was a much better LB all around than Cox. He was better against the run, better in coverage. I would give Cox the advantage on QB pressures and sacks, that was never a great part of Zachs game.

Okay and he made the tackle when it came to him, plus if anybody watched Zach play knows he was one of the best outside pursuing LB's of all time and a total ball hawk in the sense that he never followed players he followed the ball. The guy was always in on every tackle (not just the one "filtered" to him)
How many times did you see him cut off the outside run because he was quicker to the corners then most of the RB's?

I'm not saying he is going to get into the hall, I'm only saying he will get a lot more consideration then many would think.

Zach was a VERY good LB(multi pro bowls) just not a Hall of Famer.
Not in Ray Lewis's class.
Don't take this as I didn't like Zach,because i thought he was very good,
just not elite.

Zach Thomas had the best vision I have ever seen from any LB. He just didn't have the size and speed that guys like Lewis have.

Zach hands down. He was even deaf in one ear, got his head run over when he was young, so he became and excellent mouth reader just to give you a little bit on a background on him...and he still played at a increadible level! He's one of the all time greats to ever play the position

I wonder who has more tackles for loss...Zach or Cox?
I recall more big plays and more overall consistent play from Z. THOMAS, not Cox. #54 being considered by most one of the ten best ever to play for the Dolphins.
I also recall Zach restructering his contract to stay with the phins and help sign other players...I lost count on how many teams Bryan Cox played for?

Well, I'm definitely not the biggest Zach Thomas fan, and I'm certain he won't be in the Hall of Fame, but I would take him over Bryan Cox every time. He was a much better overall player and a much better leader for the defense. And, you didn't have to worry about him taking a stupid 15 yard personal foul penalty all the time. Cox was talented, but he was also a hothead who was easily goaded by his opponents.

And I'd take Offerdahl over Cox too.

I say Cox. Does anyone remember the lick he put on Harvey Williams? The team (KC or Oakland) had to leave Harvey in South Florida because he had to take a trip to the hospital!

Zach was a much better LB all around than Cox. He was better against the run, better in coverage. I would give Cox the advantage on QB pressures and sacks, that was never a great part of Zachs game.

So when you say 'all around' you mean except for pressuring & sacking the QB, right? :chuckle:

If Tim Bowens wasn't in front of Zach he would have gotten clobbered by O-linemen because of his size. Remember how he always went out of his way to be gracious to Bowens?

Zach was an exceptionally intelligent & tough, undersized LB. Picture Zach standing next to Ray Lewis and Junier Seau and Brian Cox, then tell me he was in the same class as those guys...

I'm torn between the two because Cox was the Ray lewis of football before Lewis came to the league lol but like most of you said, Zach was a smart Mlb in reading assignments on Defense & making the right adjustments. Plus he was all over the field...No matter where the play ended he was more than likely in on it....Man I wish someone can come in & fill his shoes!

Back
Top Bottom