Bryan Cox's comments about Miami Fans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryan Cox's comments about Miami Fans

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
In the last segment of NFL Live last night they do the rapid fire type questions asked to both Cox and Salsibury. When asked "Who are the most fickle fans in the NFL" without hesitation, Cox answers "Miami's, cause nobody is from there".

Well, I'm a diehard Fins fan and have been since the David Woodley days. I'm from north of Calais Maine in Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada so I'm no where close to Miami. My question to all you posters from South Florida is this. Is Cox correct in his statement?

I'd give my left arm to attend a Dolphins home game (saw one in Buffalo a few years back). Is college ball the king amoung football fans in South Florida or are their real hardcore NFL fans ala Green Bay, Oakland and Kansas City down there?

I think Cox is right. I'm gonna stereotype here & say that the reason their aren't so many fans near the city is because the population is made up of mostly Latin Americans that don't make a lot of money,which is why Marlins don't sell out much. Also their favorite sports are baseball & soccer so they don't really care about football. Plus Florida has 3 football teams so that also takes away from the local fan base.

There are a lot of front-running fans here who switch allegiances between the different Florida teams depending which is hot.

Driving down the road in the past few months I have seen a lot of Tampa Bay flags hanging from windows which I had never seen before their SB win.

Driving down the road in the past few months I have seen a lot of Tampa Bay flags hanging from windows which I had never seen before their SB win.

I know how that is. I live in Maryland & before the Ravens won the Super Bowl the number of fanse could be counted with your fingers. After they won the Super Bowl EVERYBODY was a Raven fan. Everyone on the road had a Raven flag hanging in out their car window. Half of them don't know what football is. I wish they would have kept their sorry a$$es in Cleveland.

Originally posted by SMadison29
I think Cox is right. I'm gonna stereotype here & say that the reason their aren't so many fans near the city is because the population is made up of mostly Latin Americans that don't make a lot of money,which is why Marlins don't sell out much. Also their favorite sports are baseball & soccer so they don't really care about football. Plus Florida has 3 football teams so that also takes away from the local fan base.

Um...no. First of all, while there IS a large hispanic population in South Florida, that population actually has a higher per capita income than the average white American, so they DO have the money to spend on sports. Secondly, while it's a large population, it's still dwarfed by the number of residnets who have migrated south from other areas(largest over 65 population in the country). The bottom line is that South Florida, for all the media hype it gets isn't even in the top 50 metropolitan areas in population. And of the population that IS here, at least half of it is from somewhere else, and grew up rooting for someone else. Further, you've got a larger percentage of seniors in SoFlo who AGAIN, can't go to the game. All of which means that you're trying to fill one of the NFL's largest stadiums, from one of it's smallest RESIDENT fan bases. All of that aside, I'd check your "racist" meter when you make comments like "Latin Americans that don't make a lot of money". Even if the comment isn't racist, it's certainly not factual.

All of that aside, I'd check your "racist" meter when you make comments like "Latin Americans that don't make a lot of money". Even if the comment isn't racist, it's certainly not factual.

Thank you for making yourself look like an a$$. I'm not racist & I said I was stereotyping. Did I say anything bad about Llatin Americans? Um, no. Maybe if you were educated better in what's a racist comment you'd know the difference. Please find me the demographic that states Hispanics have more income than the other races in Florida.
Why do you think the Marlins don't sell many tickets? Their average of 12,000 fans on weekdays is pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a very large number of loyal Dolphins fans in Miami, it's just that nobody wants to shell out the $$ to go sit in midafternoon Miami climate in a stadium with the worst parking situation I have ever seen. Then of course there is the traffic crunch on the major roads. Stop belting on people who don't want to sit around for four hours in the heat trying to go home after sitting around for for hours in the heat watching their team pull its annual choke job.

case in point:

a couple of years ago I am visiting my parent (who are from NY) in Boca Raton, FL and go to sports bar to watch Phins play NE in last game of the year. Sports bar - Wilt Chamberlains - has 2 big screen TVs - one w/the Jets/Ravens and 1 with the Phins/Pats. #1 - everyone in the place is Jets fans and #2 they turn the sound on for the Jets game

in other words, Cox is not wrong

The Dolphins have TONS of fans in Miami, regardless of race, ethnicity or creed. I know this personally, as a Cuban-American, and I know it as a phone screener for the Jim Mandich show on WQAM. We get calls in mid-May about the Dolphins from guys who go by Jose in Hialeah, Tyrone in Carol City, and Hiram in Plantation. I think what Cox was getting at is not that the Dolphins don't have alot of fans; they sell out all their regular season games; but that they're fickle as hell, which is true. Let's remember Marino's last couple of years, when people were already calling for him to be benched. THAT'S DAN MARINO (!), guys and dolls. Although I'm not a huge fan of Jay Fiedler, I realize the guy win's games. But we always get calls calling for his benching when he throws a couple of picks and the Dolphins lose. But when the Dolphins win, Jay NEVER gets props. If he throws a pick in a win, we STILL get calls about benching Jay.

The point is that Dolphin fans are a very fickle bunch, having Super Bowl expectations one week and reaching for the razor blades after a loss like Sunday's.

Hey I have lived here my whole life (except for college) and been a Phin fan forever. Unfortunately Cox is right. Heck look at this message board just on Sunday and Monday... how many were saying "I quit", "I can't cheer for a team like this...", etc... Those same people will be saying they were fans all along if the phins turn it around this year.

Heck even in the UM vs UF game last weekend... They all booed Berlin than when he brought them back (which kills me to say bc I'm a gator) everyone was praising him... just typical. I hate most of the fans down here!

All of that aside, I'd check your "racist" meter when you make comments like "Latin Americans that don't make a lot of money". Even if the comment isn't racist, it's certainly not factual.

Thank you for making yourself look like an a$$. I'm not racist & I said I was stereotyping. Did I say anything bad about Llatin Americans? Um, no. Maybe if you were educated better in what's a racist comment you'd know the difference. Please find me the demographic that states Hispanics have more income than the other races in Florida.
Why do you think the Marlins don't sell many tickets? Their average of 12,000 fans on weekdays is pathetic.

I'd have to agree with PhinPhan here... just the fact that you are stereotyping makes you "appear" ignorant and racist. Notice I said "appear".....
Being a native, I would have to say that the Marlins don't sell, because S. Fl. by tradition and history is a Football area... It has nothing to do with race, but it has a lot to do with the FACT that there are so many people from other places here.
As far as the Latin thing... so of the biggest fans I've ever met, happen to be of Latin decent. You might want to blame the Dolphins some for not marketing more to the Latino people, but other than that, Cox makes a valid point about people moving down here and holding an allegiance to other teams. This happens everywhere to some extent so the point really seems mute.
Parking sucks where ever you go..... I got to the stadium last Sunday at 8:45 am with no traffic problems and I left the stadium at 6:30 with no traffic problems.
All of you have some valid points.... you just get defensive when someone challenges your opinion.....

just my .02

Go check the Census figures. Cuban Americans as a whole in the 1990 census actually had a higher per capita income than the national average. If you factor in Hatians and other groups of recent immigrants, you may get lower figures, but the single largest "Hispanic" group in South Florida is hardly impoverished. As for the Marlins, it's not a baseball town man!! Baseball is a boring sport if you weren't raised with it and the tradition of it. To the casual fan it's about as exciting as watching paint dry. So when the vast majority of the nearby population is from other parts of the country or other countries it's hardly surprising that the Marlins attendence suffers. But again, all that aside, your statment is still ignorant. Marlins tickets are DIRT cheap. A person on welfare could afford to go especially if they just bought cheap tickets and walked down. The reason the stands are empty is because nobody bothers to go, not because nobody can afford it. Now, Heat and Phins attendence is CERTAINLY affected by prices...but NOT the Marlins. That's just silly. You can go to a Marlins game cheaper than you can go to the Movies.

I'd say "fickle" is the wrong word. Dolphins fans are "spoiled", and don't know how to lose gracefully. That's what happens when you only have 2 losing seasons in 3 decades. Dolphins fans...in general....are brats when it comes to the Phins.

See I still they are more fickle than spoiled. Just like the hurricanes could not fill the Orange Bowl just what 4 years ago. MOST fans in Miami only come out to cheer when their team is winning.

Maybe it is because they are spoiled from always winning, but still seems very childish to only stand behind the team when they win.

Back
Top Bottom