Bryce Petty Making Most Of Miami Dolphins Opportunities | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryce Petty Making Most Of Miami Dolphins Opportunities

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
20180809%20Dolphins%20048%20(1).JPG

Bryce Petty is the only Miami Dolphins quarterback to pass for a touchdown this preseason and the only one to rush for one, too.

It’s long been assumed that David Fales or Brock Osweiler will be Ryan Tannehill’s backup this season, but at times, Petty has outperformed them.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...olphins-opportunities/xMIDY2cl97uRz6xo1RktJM/

I’d like to see Petty against the twos. We have wasted time with Osweiler, who is a lost cause. Petty has played in garbage time so it’s hard to get an accurate read. But, he’s looked better in terms of tools than I expected. I did feel like he was not scanning the field and was staring down his target, but his arm and competitiveness look good.

I will support Fales but he’s so limited physically. I think his supposed success is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I did not read the article, but with the lessor performance of Osweiler and Fales game #2, I would like to see Petty have a chance against the opponents 1 and 2s.
Did the club bring him in as a camp arm and can’t put him in another category?
If you were a QB coach, is it obvious he can’t play?
Maybe he will get a chance in game 3 or 4.

I know Wanny, whose informed opinions most of us respect, says that Baylor had to dumb down the playbook for him. I haven't seen evidence of that but I'm not refuting it either.

However, Petty is no dummy. Where the average QB Wonderlic Score is 24, he scored a 31. He is my choice as the backup and although Gase runs a playbook that is complicated, e.g. Landry couldn't master, hopefully Petty learned a lot from the Jets (the Jets? who am I kidding?) and with Gase in his ear, can make the right decisions if selected and called on in emergencies. Whether he's facing pro football players or future fex ex delivery guys, he's the only back up QB who looked sharp and showed some fire.

Regardless of the limited Baylor playbook, Petty could not have failed too badly as evidenced by:
2× Big 12 champion (2013, 2014)
Second-Team All-Big 12 (2014)
Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (2013)
First-team All-Big 12 (2013)
Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award (2013)

If Tanny goes down this regime will ship our 2nd rounder to the Jests for Bridgewater. He will win us a few games so we don't pick at the top of the draft next year then his knee will give out.

I’d try to go outside of the building for the back up but there’s a bunch of teams in the exact same position as us. #1 qb goes down seasons over.

And going outside the building puts that qb way behind in learning the offense.

Tanny would have to go down this week for Miami to be a player for bridgewater.

Seattle offered up a 2nd rounder for Brissett of the Colts already.

I mean this is a no brainer if you ask me.

Ryan goes down, ain’t none of these guys gonna save the season. So you may as well roll with the guy that has the most arm talent and upside and that clearly seems to be Bryce Petty. Not to mention he’s got a fire the other 2 have yet to show.

I don’t need to see him against the 2’s to know that.

There are a lot of people who want there to be more competition at quarterback and what they mean is someone to beat out Tannehill for the job.

"This much is clear: Bryce Petty, who has been arguably more consistent against third-team competition, doesn’t have much of a chance of making the 53-man roster." - ARMANDO SALGUERO

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article217068525.html

He’s never been good at the los in terms of recognition and accounting for things. And that’s probably more than anything why gase will hard pass.

In that regard that Baylor o set him back.

As of right now, from what I’ve seen, I’d take Petty over the other 2, to lead us in a couple games, if Tanny should go down with a minor tweak..

Back
Top Bottom