Bryce Petty Making Most Of Miami Dolphins Opportunities | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryce Petty Making Most Of Miami Dolphins Opportunities

This reminds me of people screaming for Doughty, Devlin, Thigpen, and whoever else was bottom of the barrel who played well against third and 4th stringers to have their chance.... I don’t expect Petty to even be on the roster when the season starts.

Bryce Petty has done extremely well in the small amount of opportunity afforded to him. He won't get another shot until the fourth preseason game.

It's enough that I think the casual fan (if they've watched the games through to the end) would start to really want Bryce to make the team and even supplant guys like Osweiler and Fales.

The problem? Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains haven't gotten that memo.

Reading into everything you're seeing and hearing from them, both in public and behind the scenes...Bryce Petty is in fourth, in their minds. And that's all there is to it.

Coaches. It's just the way it is.

Kinda like when Gase had all that tape on Dallas Thomas and yet still pretended he was a starter. Ruined half a season.

Coaches are human. And have blind spots. Huge ones at times. The wise ones learn to supplement their blind spots with perspective hires.

Gase? Jury is still out. But it can definitely be shown that at times he doesn't recognize talent at all. Or lack of it.

LD

What I'd love to see is an intrepid beat writer querying Gase in a presser something like "Adam, you have shown a tendency to retain players and coaches you've been previously familiar with. That has sometimes worked out poorly. Right now there's no question that Petty is outperforming Brock and possibly Fales. Will he get more time to play against better competition in the final 2 games and if he outperforms either or both of the other two in a fair competition, will you retain him going into the season?"

In other words, put him on the spot to retain the best QB and then be responsible by explaining his reasons why/why not.

When we played the Jets with Petty at the helm, he showed some grit. Yeah he got destroyed but I always felt he was potentially dangerous. Can we blame him for sucking on that Jet's team - nah. BO has no excuses though as he was in decent situations relative to the others. Like to see more Petty. Fales needs to step it up for sure.

What I'd love to see is an intrepid beat writer querying Gase in a presser something like "Adam, you have shown a tendency to retain players and coaches you've been previously familiar with. That has sometimes worked out poorly. Right now there's no question that Petty is outperforming Brock and possibly Fales. Will he get more time to play against better competition in the final 2 games and if he outperforms either or both of the other two in a fair competition, will you retain him going into the season?"

In other words, put him on the spot to retain the best QB and then be responsible by explaining his reasons why/why not.

If Gase fails this will be one of the issues. Guy likes to recycle too much. Recycling is ok if you are turning lead to gold but we got mostly lead remaining lead.

I think Gase will go with Osweiler as #2.

I'll take that bet.

David Fales, IMO.

I might be down with that, what are the stakes? Can you rake or climb a ladder? How are your waxing skills?

I have to agree with @Daytona Fin on that. I don't know his reasons but my reasons have nothing to do with a capable backup.
His reasons will be:
a) he is familiar with him
b) Fales is for the large part of the fan base unknown and if Tannehill plays bad calls for Fales would be echoing through the stadium again. Everybody knows that Osweiler sucks. Nobody would call for him.

Stop worrying about backup QB. If Gase was concerned about it, he would have addressed it in the draft.

/sarcasm off

Love it!

Great question. Beat writers should steal it asap!

LD

I don't think its set in stone who the backup is at this point. Thats why Fales and Osweiller were alternating series with the 2's and 3's.

I have to agree with @Daytona Fin on that. I don't know his reasons but my reasons have nothing to do with a capable backup.
His reasons will be:
a) he is familiar with him
b) Fales is for the large part of the fan base unknown and if Tannehill plays bad calls for Fales would be echoing through the stadium again. Everybody knows that Osweiler sucks. Nobody would call for him.
This actually makes sense. If he gives the backup spot to a garbage ass qb, there’ll be no chance of fans in the stadium chanting for him to start over Tannehill like they did with Moore and what they might possibly do if Fales is backup.:laugh

I honestly don't think Adam Gase gives a crap what the fans think about specific players. The idea that he is going to keep David Fales because he doesn't think the fans will chant Fales' name after a bad passing performance is kind of insane to me. He wants to win and he's going to make the decisions that make sense to him.

While that's a good thing, it also means his margin for error will shrink rapidly if there is no success immediately this season.

Back
Top Bottom