Bucky Brooks Details 3 Reasons Why The Fins Should Look No Further Than Tua As Franchise QB | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bucky Brooks Details 3 Reasons Why The Fins Should Look No Further Than Tua As Franchise QB

I may be in the minority, but I actually like Chris Simms. He's been right about Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Herbert. His concerns about Tua were valid, but he can't wave the white flag when he's wrong.
His dad as a broadcaster, on the other hand, was as bad as Dan Deirdorf.
Simms just tends to over-rate physical traits. He likes size and big-arms. I remember how he had Brees rated below Cam Newton when it was obvious to everybody else that Brees was the far superior QB. (IIRC Simms had Brees rated in the late teens (16-18) when everybody else had him as a top 5 QB). I don't think that's what matters most for QB play. I see those as among the least important traits yet their the ones that lazy analysts gravitate towards. You can get lucky when a guy like Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen overcomes inconsistent accuracy, but in the long run you're going to be wrong more often than right. I don't see him as a good QB evaluator.

Brady wasn't leading high powered offenses until his 4th or 5th year in the league. When he was getting started it was the same formula as what they're doing with Mac now.....dominant defense with a solid running game and a QB that doesn't screw up too much.

Either way it starts and ends with the o-line. Like Brady and Brees Tua will need protection in order to thrive.
Which is why I feel Grier and Flores should be replaced; they're in Year #3 and have the worst o-line AND running game in the league. Without those things, NO offense can be effective!

I just thought of something...

The "Brady mold" wasn't just dink-and-dink on its own; it was also run behind a very good o-line with a good running game helped by a consistently good defense. What set them apart was having WRs who can separate and find space (whether by talent or being schemed open) and having the ability to score quickly. Also, it was not unusual to see Brady and the Pats score 30 or 40 points like it was nothing; they liked to run up the score.

Now, do I wish Tua and Miami could do that? Heck yeah! With Brady, sometimes that dink-and-dunk was dink, dink, dink mixed in with a big run or two and a 50 yard TD pass for a two minute 80 yard scoring drive. Miami's dink-and-dunk offense consists of 8 minute drives filled with penalties and short rushes, and the odds aren't very good that they'll come away with a TD.

IOW, Brady's dink-and-dunk could be fast-paced, high-scoring, and exciting. Miami's dink-and-dunk is low-scoring and boring... with the occasional nice play and the very rare big play. That said, there's no way that Tua could get Miami's offense to play like Brady's offense UNLESS the team actually gives him a competent o-line, a great running game, and they knock off the overly conservative playcalling until they're up by 3+ scores. I don't get it; Belichick likes to run up the score, but Flores seems to want to score as little as possible!
You’re talking today…I’m talking the not-so-distant future when this team continues to learn and grow. I’m willing to let it bloom.

I mean...his own pro career was a joke...yet he's the authority.

I heard Marino really likes Tua...that carries a lot more weight with me.
TBH, I have no idea what Dan really thinks. I know what he says as a face of the franchise. What else can he say as a "team player"?

Simms does seem to have some latent "penis envy" or jealousy toward Tua.

Other than that, he is overall a decent evaluator I guess.

I know he loved J. Philips.

You’re talking today…I’m talking the not-so-distant future when this team continues to learn and grow. I’m willing to let it bloom.
That's something that many ppl don't want to acknowledge.

It isn't even year 3. The first year was a teardown/cap slash. We put a practice squad team out there.

I was actually loosing faith in Flo during the 1-7 ugliness, but when I step back and look at it in the context of a realistic general plan for a total rebuild, maybe things aren't as bad as it appears.

Bottom line is, if we fix the O-line, whether through development of young guys, FAs or competant coaching this is easily a good to very good playoff team.

Miami needs to seriously evaluate what to do with the O-Line, and that's not just speaking of the players, coaching is just, if not more important.

You give Tua an O-line that can give him time, that would be as lethal as going out, and adding pro-bowl receivers all around Tua.

At the very least get a Tackle in FA that can play consistently at Tua's blind side.

Miami's offense could be worlds better next year with just enough moves to make Tua's job to succeed, just a bit easier.
fixing the line is the key, havent been able to do it in over 10 years but it needs to be done, it has been the cause of most our offensive struggles for a long time

I want to see Tua in a REAL offense; not this garbage with no protection, mostly short passes, and a crappy running game. However, if by some miracle they fix the o-line and get a good RB next season and Tua is STILL throwing mostly short passes, then I'll be looking forward to the next regime and QB. I hate dink-and-dunk!
Tom Brady won a lot of SBs w mostly short passing. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom