Building an Offensive line always starts with the center. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building an Offensive line always starts with the center.

I've been saying this all along!

1a. Smith or Chase
1b. Harris
2a. Top Center
2b. Top Gaurd
3. Top Slot WR

And the rest doesn't matter, cause we will be serious contenders.

I'm keeping Howard. He just gave you 10 interceptions to lead the NFL and you want to use him like a chip to upgrade the tackle position. We have 2 great corners, keep them and build around them. You don't have success in the NFL by dumping your best players, ask Bill O'Brian. Why weaken one area to upgrade another?

I agree!

If you had to choose (in this draft) do you choose center over tackle for the Fins?
At this point, I think the Fins have enough young players on the OL as their core that what remains to be fixed should be done with vets in FA. I also think Karras is in the good enough(relatively) category for now so I'd try and look for a Guard in FA.

At this point, I think the Fins have enough young players on the OL as their core that what remains to be fixed should be done with vets in FA. I also think Karras is in the good enough(relatively) category for now so I'd try and look for a Guard in FA.
I can see that general POV.

In that case, I don't see the value of a FA gaurd aquisition this year though, unless you don't like Kindley.

In that case, I don't see the value of a FA gaurd aquisition this year though, unless you don't like Kindley.
Kindley looked good at times last year. Really excited to see the guys we have with a full off season and another year of experience under their belts.

TK is by far the weakest link on the Oline.
I wanted to draft a C last year and have them develop with Tua thier whole career.
Many top QBs who has won a superbowl has openly stated the center position is the most important and impactful Oline position. Including the guy that just won.

Well Im not talking about a tier 1 FA... Think a Karras type player/deal at guard. He doesnt even have to beat Kindley for the job, but if Kindley doesnt improve or is not up to par, you're ready for that outcome. This also keeps the unit from being re-shufled when injuries occur... Davis is strickly your swing tackle, so he doesnt get hurt playing snaps at guard. If soemone gets hurt on the inside, Hunt doesnt have to move there in a pinch... The guard doesnt necessarily improve the unit, but it does raise its floor.

The big upgrades would be at Tackle, but you just drafted your 2 guys a year ago, you have to let it play out. Building through the draft is cool, so is having all those picks, but it also means you're going to field a very young team and you've got to live with the mistakes until you figure out what you really have... Which is why I think adding yet ANOTHER rookie to that group would be counter productive.

I said guard but you could also go for a swing tackle in FA instead which would keep Davis strickly as a guard trying to battle it out for a spot. But the swing tackle will cost a whole lot more if you're looking for average.

I am on board with upgrading our center and this is a big reason why I want Rashawn Slater. I would start Slater at center, and if we had an injury on the outside, he could cover in a pinch. He's a smart guy and could probably play all 5 positions. I would love to have another guy like Mark Dixon again.

New Orleans built their OL for Brees (a QB Tua is often compared to) by focusing on being strong in the middle.
Yeah...strong up the middle, with arguably the best LT/RT combination in the league (Armstead & Ramczyk).

I believe that Centers slide in the draft for several reasons...

One is that there are only 32 starters in the league and only a few teams are actively looking for a pure Center at a time.

A second reason is that unlike a Tackle who needs his speed and full flexibility, most centers are not injury risks... being able to play through most minor nicks and scrapes as long as they maintain most of their power.

A third reason is that very few teams carry a pure Center as a backup and most of them use a G/C hybrid player who is primarily a Guard... again, cutting down on the number of actual centers in the league.

A fourth reason is that squat, powerful players tend to have lengthier careers than speed guys... again, cutting down on your need to find a Center very often. Look how long that Mike Pouncey has hung around. If he'd been a Tackle, he'd have been gone 2-3 years ago with his injury history.

So... in the long run, there are only so many openings in a year. Which makes this an easier position to fill, even though it is important. This is especially nice for us, because there are quite a few realistic Center options in this year's draft... meaning that some good prospects will fall.

I'm thinking that in a year like this one, it would be draft malfeasance for us to come away from the draft without taking one.
Well,last year we came away from the draft without a WR when there were so many good ones so nothing this team does should surprise you

Kindley looked good at times last year. Really excited to see the guys we have with a full off season and another year of experience under their belts.
Not only the experience, but TC is generally the time for individual instruction on technique, leverage, etc.

We couldn't really do that last offseason.

I'm surprised the 3 rooks weren't a complete disaster, TBH.

People underestimate the importance of vets on the OL.

Not only the experience, but TC is generally the time for individual instruction on technique, leverage, etc.

We couldn't really do that last offseason.

I'm surprised the 3 rooks weren't a complete disaster, TBH.

Mach our ceiling was set so low from 2019 that our offensive line improvement seemed like it made a god like improvement. In reality we didnt crack the top 25 but with three rookies that is expected. No one in the line gave up more than 4 sacks. And that was Jackson not hunt which he ironically was drafted to be a guard and ended up at right tackle. Now Jackson actually has more responsibilities in terms of blocking faster pass rushers. Now also, play calling had a lot to do with our ability to get rid of the ball, calling the right plays. Gailey called a lot of short passes, slants, screens, and ocassional bubbles. Then we also have gisecki catching in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom