Building an Offensive line always starts with the center. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building an Offensive line always starts with the center.

C has always been a VIP OL position. Generally trending towards +more important nowadays.
In terms of "value" OT is still significantly higher as evidenced by the sheer # of OTs that go early
in the draft. But having a dominant C is very good thing. Would love one!

One of my fav all-time Dolphins players is Dwight! He was really something to watch! Just amazing!
Also one of the all-time biggest losses when Lyons cheap-shotted him and ended his career!
Marino and the team never really recovered from that loss... Very sad.

I'm pretty sure we invest @C this draft. Some very good prospects.

Kindley looked good at times last year. Really excited to see the guys we have with a full off season and another year of experience under their belts.
Kindley needs to lose that flab around his midsection that nearly drags on the ground when he's in 3point stance!
Sure hope SERIOUS attention being paid to that kids diet and lots of weight room + core exercise. Doesn't have to get
"lean" but definitely would benefit from significant reduction in % body fat IMO.

Jackson 4 sacks
Hunt 3 sacks
Karras 2 sacks
Flowers 3 sacks
Kindley 4 sacks

Now these are sacks

Let's look at penalties which is another trait of a player struggling.

Hunt 8
Kindly 5
Karras 3
Jackson 4
Flowers 3

Karras has less but we are expecting a center to have none. He has two guards on each side with a less complicated blocking assigment. Hunt was protecting the blind side for our lefty qb but it is the left tackle that has the assigment to block the weak side. There is an extra blocker on the right side. That is why offenses no matter what hand the qb throws are inherently right handed.

With that said, we put our best tackle on the left. And with the blocking responsibility he had he was able to commit less penalties. Jackson did fairly well, and if not a little better then the rest of his draft class with the exception of the rookie the bucs drafted. He actually plays right, and had Jackson played right tackle that would have been another story. If anything, by the amount or times hunt was penalized, that tells us we would be in trouble if we ever have to have him play left tackle. He isn't physically able to since he fits better as a guard or right tackle.

Jackson 4 sacks
Hunt 3 sacks
Karras 2 sacks
Flowers 3 sacks
Kindley 4 sacks

Now these are sacks

Hunt 8
Kindly 5
Karras 3
Jackson 4
Flowers 3

Karras has less but we are expecting a center to have none. He has two guards on each side with a less complicated blocking assigment. Hunt was protecting the blind side for our lefty qb but it is the left tackle that has the assigment to block the weak side. There is an extra blocker on the right side. That is why offenses no matter what hand the qb throws are inherently right handed.

With that said, we put our best tackle on the left. And with the blocking responsibility he had he was able to commit less penalties. Jackson did fairly well, and if not a little better then the rest of his draft class with the exception of the rookie the bucs drafted. He actually plays right, and had Jackson played right tackle that would have been another story. If anything, by the amount or times hunt was penalized, that tells us we would be in trouble if we ever have to have him play left tackle. He isn't physically able to since he fits better as a guard or right tackle.
What do u have for davis? Obviously hes nothing special but has great versatility.

What do u have for davis? Obviously hes nothing special but has great versatility.

Wyatt Davis? He's an underclassman. And underclassmen need to have a high learning curve asides from the physical gifts. I havent really seen much of him tbh. Hell he will have to adapt to newer conventions in the nfl. Better technique etc. But he is one of those players that are so physically gifted comes from a football background, and at guard he would be one of the most talented players there.

Best film to watch is against a team like Penn state. His footwork resembles more of a guard than a tackle but he can play right tackle in this league. He is very young and will be even better in the NFL. He is extremely good in the run game.

Wyatt Davis? He's an underclassman. And underclassmen need to have a high learning curve asides from the physical gifts. I havent really seen much of him tbh. Hell he will have to adapt to newer conventions in the nfl. Better technique etc. But he is one of those players that are so physically gifted comes from a football background, and at guard he would be one of the most talented players there.

Best film to watch is against a team like Penn state. His footwork resembles more of a guard than a tackle but he can play right tackle in this league. He is very young and will be even better in the NFL. He is extremely good in the run game.

Lol......

Jackson 4 sacks
Hunt 3 sacks
Karras 2 sacks
Flowers 3 sacks
Kindley 4 sacks

Now these are sacks

Hunt 8
Kindly 5
Karras 3
Jackson 4
Flowers 3

A better comparison would be Jackson/Hunt compared to other NFL OTs, Karras against other NFL OCs, . . . Still some variables in there, but the comparison would be interesting

A better comparison would be Jackson/Hunt compared to other NFL OTs, Karras against other NFL OCs, . . . Still some variables in there, but the comparison would be interesting

Nobody is comparing. We are talking about the line as a unit. I am only showing sacks allowed and penalties. Do you know many yards we lose when we are penalized for holding? Now multiply them for every penalty we made. And what happens when a sack is allowed? Well you know what happens, I know you do.

The sum of sacks and penalties has our line ranked at 28th best in the league. When we start to rank outside the top 10 lines in the league it all comes down to sacks penalties and qb pressures.

I see all the posts for improving the offensive line and they focus on the ends, followed closely by the guards with an occasional mention about the center.

As far as I'm concerned, the heart of the offensive line, and certainly the brains of the offensive line is the center. He has the responsibilities of making sure the line is set up correctly and then getting the ball to the QB, in that order. The offensive line acts in concert as a unit with the center being the "QB" of the line.

I watched the Bengals of the 70's bring in a new coach (Forrest Gregg) and he brought in a new center. The next year he brought in two great OL players, Munoz and Montoya. the next year they were in a super bowl.

Many fans still remember Munoz and Montoya, but not as many remember the center. He was chosen first because the center is the most important offensive position, after the QB. As great as Munoz and Montoya were, the center was more important.

Every position on the offensive line follows the center
What do you think of Tim Ruddy playing for three coaches? And basically all his career here.

Nobody is comparing. We are talking about the line as a unit. I am only showing sacks allowed and penalties. Do you know many yards we lose when we are penalized for holding? Now multiply them for every penalty we made. And what happens when a sack is allowed? Well you know what happens, I know you do.

The sum of sacks and penalties has our line ranked at 28th best in the league. When we start to rank outside the top 10 lines in the league it all comes down to sacks penalties and qb pressures.

I get your point. Maybe I'm obsessed with 'baseline.' Without knowing how many sacks/penalties the 'average' OT allowed, I don't know if Jackson's 4 sacks/4 penalties is good, average, or bad. Comparing OCs to OTs isn't comparing apples to apples.

Back
Top Bottom