Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options

Aqua4Ever04

Active Roster
Reaction score
The more I dove into this piece, the more I think it’s reasonable to think the Dolphins are going to have a lot of options for reshaping the offensive line. My approach to the off-season is this: Ryan Tannehill excels in play-action and when he has a semblance of a running game to support him (numbers inside showing his ELITE level of play on play-pass). With that in mind, I think building up the big uglies (and tight ends) is more important than anything. In this piece, I explore several options at LG, C and RT.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/building-around-ryan-tannehill-offensive-line-options/

Passer rating, by year, on play action (NFL rank):

2016 – 112.8 (8th)

2015 – 106.9 (7th)

2014 – 85.1 (20th)

2013 – 109.6 (5th)

2012 – 121.2 (2nd)

The free-agent crop of offensive tackles is practically non-existent. Whether it’s Ben Ijalana or LaAdrian Waddell, the market-value for these players is not going to be buyer friendly. These are fringe starters that figure to get paid starter money – a practice guaranteed to bite the team that makes such an egregious commitment.

They need a guard no doubt, but they also need two QBs.

Assuming RT will play the whole season without going down is a bad risk at this point.

Assuming if he stays healthy that he will take that elusive step forward is probably an even worse risk.

It is a team sport they need to focus on every position and not take anything for granted.

1000% correct. I wish it were just a matter of plugging in a new LG and rolling with Tunsil, Pouncey, Davis, and James. Unfortunately, they are probably looking at Tunsil, New LG, New C, Davis, James.

Another option is to move Larson to the RG (where he played before coming to Miami) and moving Davis to RT or LG.

Pouncey actually lasted this past year, maybe he can build off that and maybe we ask him to restructure. James is most likely gone, and Young played admirably in his absence but we could still use another tackle and must absolutely find a LG. Asiata better be working his ass off right now.

you lost 75 percent of the audience when you correctly said building around ryan tannehill

however miamis not gonna live in any 12 or heavy pa based offense as long as Jarvis landry is still in the building

I mean It was clear as day in 2016. When the switch flipped for Ryan and he started improvising and he showed consistently that he would beat teams that played too many in the box . . . The pressure was lessened and the line played better.

People forget he was mopping the floor with a solid Cardinals defense before he got hurt. He was still improving in 2016 before injury.

But again, that improvement did more for the oline than any plug and play ideas many have. That is not to say we couldn’t use better linemen . . . Of course we could, but inconsistent QB play has been a culprit of the struggles as well and Ryan just was below average at that for 4 years and change.

Below average oline with a QB who improvised at a below average level was a bad combination.

We do need a quality LG added.

We need at least one OL with some position diversity, hopefully, we get more in the way of TE. A bruising young power runner would help too.

The more I dove into this piece, the more I think it’s reasonable to think the Dolphins are going to have a lot of options for reshaping the offensive line. My approach to the off-season is this: Ryan Tannehill excels in play-action and when he has a semblance of a running game to support him (numbers inside showing his ELITE level of play on play-pass). With that in mind, I think building up the big uglies (and tight ends) is more important than anything. In this piece, I explore several options at LG, C and RT.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/building-around-ryan-tannehill-offensive-line-options/

You probably would have received more honest appraisals if your title had been
Building Around the QB - Offensive Line Options

That said, I agree, but I'll add one top third OG and a good TE. This O isn't that bad. Yes, I'd like to move on from Pouncey, but small steps. Any thread with Tannehill or Landry generates too much emotional baggage.

Yeah year 18 of the lets fix the OL plan. This will be the year because Tannenbaum has an eye for talent.
LMAO....nearly fell out of my chair. I think Gase is determined to fix the line once and for all, it shouldn't be left up to Tannenbaum at this point.

Pouncey actually lasted this past year, maybe he can build off that and maybe we ask him to restructure. James is most likely gone, and Young played admirably in his absence but we could still use another tackle and must absolutely find a LG. Asiata better be working his *** off right now.

I do agree that it was a step in the right direction, but his inability to practice really made him a shadow of his former self. He’s aged so much the last few years.

You probably would have received more honest appraisals if your title had been
Building Around the QB - Offensive Line Options

That said, I agree, but I'll add one top third OG and a good TE. This O isn't that bad. Yes, I'd like to move on from Pouncey, but small steps. Any thread with Tannehill or Landry generates too much emotional baggage.

You’re probably right, but I’m not gonna change what I’ve learned through tape study just to appease a bunch of people that have no idea what talented football looks like.

If you can’t forumalte a dominant offense around Ryan tannehill, that’s not on him. It’s on the personnel people and coaches. There is plenty that he does really, really well.

play action on every pass play...I am down with that.

I need to know more like out of how many passes for Play action

What are his stats from straight drop back?Rollout?Shotgun? Etc

And stay away from Kelemichi.Not good

You’re probably right, but I’m not gonna change what I’ve learned through tape study just to appease a bunch of people that have no idea what talented football looks like.

If you can’t forumalte a dominant offense around Ryan tannehill, that’s not on him. It’s on the personnel people and coaches. There is plenty that he does really, really well.

This is dead on accurate on tape

play action on every pass play...I am down with that.

I need to know more like out of how many passes for Play action

What are his stats from straight drop back?Rollout?Shotgun? Etc

Shotgun 2016 68.6 completion%, 2428 yards, 15tds 9ints, 96.4 qb rating, 7.9y/a
Under center 61.5% completion%, 567 yards, 4td 3ints, 82.8 qb rating, 6.8y/a

Back
Top Bottom