Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options

I think we can still be a heavy PA offense despite keeping Landry on the team. A ton of the stuff Gase ran was because the oline couldn't hold a block for one second. If we draft a Guard that can start then resign James to a team friendly deal the line might finally be decent or even good. If the line is performing, Tannehill can open things up downfield. We have to get an identity of a team that comes out in the first quarter and runs the ball. Defenses will game plan to stop our run so we know where the first battle will be. That's when we have to be able to run, when the D is hell bent on stopping it. This, of course, has to happen on short yardage and red zone/ goal line scenarios. 3rd and short, 4th and, these are game changers when you can't get that yard, and emotional crushers. If you go for it on 4th and 1 and get stuffed that's like a turnover. Fixing the oline is urgent but we also have to secure a RB to share some of the load with Kenyon Drake. IMO we need a big bruiser like a Beast Mode type of guy, grab a studly TE and we'll be a very good offense that's fun to watch.

Incognito is the ONLY one I can think of that has had success after us.

John Jerry made a few starts for the Giants, but I think that's the only line that was worse than ours.

Another analogy are some of the receivers that Tannehill got paid. He turned Hartline who's now out of football into a big contract 2x 1000 yd receiver. Charles Clay got paid off his 2013 and '14 production that hasn't been replicated in Buffalo. Davone Bess, before he went batty had enough residual value to be traded to Cleveland. After dumbass Philbin finally started play Matthews, Tannehill got him paid down in TN as well. Hell, even Mike Wallace, who ran lackadaisical pass routes and never fought for the ball, had only 1 comparable season as his productive 2 seasons in '13 and '14 since leaving Miami.

And in '12, when many draft evals had him needing a year or so of seasoning, again not unlike Allen, let's not forget that some of his receivers were named Moore, Naanee, Armstrong and Gaffney. Couple that with the coaching morons charged with developing Tannehill, and if in a similar team circumstance, would anyone be surprised if it takes Allen as long to see the light and perform like the elite 8 QB Tannehill did over the last 8 games he played once Gase's new system finally kicked in?

build the OL to be championship caliber... not for 1 specific QB..

tenor.gif

you lost 75 percent of the audience when you correctly said building around ryan tannehill

however miamis not gonna live in any 12 or heavy pa based offense as long as Jarvis landry is still in the building
On the RPOs in the spread under Lazot Juice was money on the slant after the quick fake to Miller.

Somehow he would catch in stride, unlike this season, and then create after catch.

You're right though, if he is on the roster for the sesson, he will be featured, maybe slightly more then he should....

LMAO....nearly fell out of my chair. I think Gase is determined to fix the line once and for all, it shouldn't be left up to Tannenbaum at this point.
It shouldn’t be left to Gase either. Gase the GM tripped on his dick with the Cutler fiasco.

Keep Gase out of the GM chair please.

Miami has gaping holes on the offensive line. James is likely a cut for cap purposes and off major injury. Pouncey is a shell of his former self. Tunsil is average but could improve. Or may not as he doesn’t strike me as the hardest working player. The guards are a revolving door.

It’s been a mess for too long and needs major focus.

It shouldn’t be left to Gase either. Gase the GM tripped on his **** with the Cutler fiasco.

Keep Gase out of the GM chair please.
You have to remember, this is who the Dolphins have......Tannebaum and Gase. We know the track record of Tbaum, sign expensive vets way pass their prime, Gase on the other hand seems to be a little more balance in his approach although mistakes have been made. I think Gase really didn't have much to work with when he took over this team and has been slowly building through the draft with a sprinkle of FAs here and there. Don't give up on this young coach so soon into the process.

Miami has gaping holes on the offensive line. James is likely a cut for cap purposes and off major injury. Pouncey is a shell of his former self. Tunsil is average but could improve. Or may not as he doesn’t strike me as the hardest working player. The guards are a revolving door.

IMO, the "finesse" style linemen that Philbin (and Gase?) wanted to run his blocking schemes are easily dominated by tough, physical d-lines. Enough of that garbage! Go old-school, and get a line full of big, nasty road-graders that would run over their Grandmother to get that first down! The current line couldn't block a Girl Scout Troop with the flu.

Which is exactly why drafting a QB early makes no sense.

The above is gamblers logic. I'm not building my team based on it. Agreed part of success in NFL is based on good fortune and breaks, but I'm minimizing risk.

Perhaps in the context of last year alone, but when you look at Pouncey's 7 year career as a whole, he had 2 years where he missed 2 games, and then 2016 where he missed 11 - in other words he's been fairly reliable.

By the way, I'm not arguing it would not be prudent to plan for his eventual retirement, only that it's nice to have a known commodity in place - something we've been lacking at various spots along the oline.

Last edited:
Well i know the super bowl was just one game, but it was a microcosm of today's NFL.

With that in mind, I do wonder if going all in on offense isn't such a bad idea. That's hard for me to say being a defensive first guy. But, New England with one of the best defensive minds ever had no answer for Philadelphia's offense and Philly had no answer for the Patriots offense.

Both teams successfully negated the pass rush, except for the one huge play by Graham/Barnett at the end of the game. Brady's drops are consistently two, three steps. Unless he is playing from behind and needs some plays down the field.

Not saying you don't need defense, but if the offense is clicking on all gears with talent galore it's hard to stop.

So, Miami could accomplish that with something like this in the first two rounds of the draft:

1. Nelson OG,
2. Guice, RB

Personally, I think Guice is a number one pick but I've seen him ranked in that second round range. This would give Miami two nice backs with Guice and Drake and a guard that would match-up in the AFC East. The return of the running game in Miami and like the OP said that would take tremendous pressure off Tannehill.

Vaark makes a killer point, RT gets his receivers paid!!! Get RT a big time TE and watch things open up for the whole offense. We don't have to spend for Jimmy Graham, there's some guys in the draft that can come right in and help the Dolphins in a big way. We know the names, double down if you're not positive but nail down some quality TE prospects.

Back
Top Bottom