Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options

why not....im not doing anything else in 2018. lets continue to bang our heads against the wall trying to compete for a championship with ryan tannehill. then, after next season - after we've wasted 7 years, can we finally move on?

Which is exactly why drafting a QB early makes no sense.
You can’t force the pick at 11. If Nelson from ND is there it’s mighty tempting to fill a guard spot for the next decade. Just have to see how the board falls.

Somehow Miami needs to stabilize the line. It’s been far too long.

Vaark makes a killer point, RT gets his receivers paid!!! Get RT a big time TE and watch things open up for the whole offense. We don't have to spend for Jimmy Graham, there's some guys in the draft that can come right in and help the Dolphins in a big way. We know the names, double down if you're not positive but nail down some quality TE prospects.

Thanks, and my other point is that his top 12% league rankings in 2016 on deep passes and from clean pockets screams out the need for at least average OLs to give him a little more time in the pocket. He's never had an elite OL like Prescott had in '16 before reality intruded. So I know that's too much to ask, but "average" really shouldn't be.

Agreed, all this talk from his detractors about needing an elite OL and everything being perfect to succeed is serious hyperbole, not last five or even bottom third would be a good start.

ANY QB benefits from a high performance OL -- both pass pro and run the rock = essential counterparts to excellent QB play (unless you're a total freak like Marino in his 2nd or 3rd year)!

I agree with others re Pouncey -- way to fragile for OL. We need toughness and durability + smarts and of course the essential physical chops -- but for me toughness and durability are core essentials. Not questioning Mike's toughness -- but...

Last -- Gase has certainly not convinced me he's some great Offensive Architect at this point... He has as much to prove this year as anyone IMO.

ANY QB benefits from a high performance OL -- both pass pro and run the rock = essential counterparts to excellent QB play (unless you're a total freak like Marino in his 2nd or 3rd year)!

XACTLY!! And that's what many fail to realize (or deny the truth). We've all seen 'elite' QBs when there were significant OL problems (e.g., Brady, Farve, Rodgers, Marino, even in the 'freak' years) - performance deteriorates noticeably. And that's with those QBs rumored to be able to 'carry' the team. All fans know losing Gronk hurts the Pats O - again, that's WITH a QB who can carry his team and with one of the NFL's best HCs. Elite QBs and top 10 QBs lose the run game and the play deteriorates. Yet, some refuse to admit a weak part of a team of an average QB will have a noticeable affect. Yes, elite QBs can win more games and hide more flaws and everyone wants one, but I'd love for this QBWINS myth to die a rapid death.

Did Brady's play giving the Pats 33 points show a failure as an elite QB, or was the D at fault for allowing 41? Or, could it possibly be a team game and even an elite QB can't always carry his team? Once more, I'd love to trade Tannehill for the 2008 Brady or an uninjured Rodgers, but, even then, Brady with Philbin and crew? Likely some playoff spots, but carry the team to a SB? No chance. OK, vent over. I ignore those saying Tannehill is elite (are there any?) and those who call him a bust or bottom tier. Failure to acknowledge of the team's affect on any player is a failure to understand team sports.

Back
Top Bottom