Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building Around Tannehill - Offensive Line Options

I still don't understand the organization's loyalty to Pouncey.
1. His inability to practice affects the cohesiveness of the entire group.

2. He is only getting older. This doesn't translate to healthier.
3. He is expensive 9 Mill- only 2 Mill dead.
You can walk away from him and sign his replacement for same price.
Are we just waiting for him to breakdown?

I go after a younger Center in FA or draft.
We need to similarly upgrade LG - FA or draft.
My 2018 realistic OLine:
Tunsil- Hernandez Rd2- Jensen- Davis- James
Larsen is my swing guard
Smith is my swing tackle

The more I dove into this piece, the more I think it’s reasonable to think the Dolphins are going to have a lot of options for reshaping the offensive line. My approach to the off-season is this: Ryan Tannehill excels in play-action and when he has a semblance of a running game to support him (numbers inside showing his ELITE level of play on play-pass). With that in mind, I think building up the big uglies (and tight ends) is more important than anything. In this piece, I explore several options at LG, C and RT.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/building-around-ryan-tannehill-offensive-line-options/
It would be interesting to find out soon how cheaper and effective we can be with another qb. In all these years of mediocrity, it will surface that it wasn't the line, it was the qb

It would be interesting to find out soon how cheaper and effective we can be with another qb. In all these years of mediocrity, it will surface that it wasn't the line, it was the qb

Except there is significant data that points to the opposite. @Vaark has pointed out numerous times with lovely graphics how weak the line play has been during Tannehill's tenure. I would also like to point out that very few guys who start on the Dolphins o-line are still starting anywhere in the NFL. Dallas Thomas, Jon Martin, Brandon Albert, Shelly Smith, Daryn Colledge, Jason Fox, Billy Turner, Tyson Clabo, Nate Garner...hell I could go on for a few more. This is the crap we have had up front. This past season we started to see some progress in getting guys who can play. Unfortunately, Tannehill was unable to experience it.

Except there is significant data that points to the opposite. @Vaark has pointed out numerous times with lovely graphics how weak the line play has been during Tannehill's tenure. I would also like to point out that very few guys who start on the Dolphins o-line are still starting anywhere in the NFL. Dallas Thomas, Jon Martin, Brandon Albert, Shelly Smith, Daryn Colledge, Jason Fox, Billy Turner, Tyson Clabo, Nate Garner...hell I could go on for a few more. This is the crap we have had up front. This past season we started to see some progress in getting guys who can play. Unfortunately, Tannehill was unable to experience it.

Well its all those other QB’s fault also that those sucky OL cant start anywhere else. It’s plain as day.

Wow has our evaluation of OL play been Atrocious. Probably would have had better luck drawing names from a hat or throwing darts

Incognito is the ONLY one I can think of that has had success after us.

John Jerry made a few starts for the Giants, but I think that's the only line that was worse than ours.

you guys don't see jake brendel as a viable starting pivot?

I do, I think he plays center in the end. What are the chances Pouncey stays healthy all year again?

The continued love affair with Pouncey amplify’s the FO etc lack of
OL evaluations.

Well its all those other QB’s fault also that those sucky OL cant start anywhere else. It’s plain as day.

Wow has our evaluation of OL play been Atrocious. Probably would have had better luck drawing names from a hat or throwing darts

Pretty much...I mean the ability to consistently miss is a talent itself. I mean, how do you get it wrong so often?

you guys don't see jake brendel as a viable starting pivot?

I do, I thought he played well in the limited action he had last season.

Incognito is the ONLY one I can think of that has had success after us.

John Jerry made a few starts for the Giants, but I think that's the only line that was worse than ours.

Pretty much...You can look at other offensive players as well and see their success after leaving the Phins...Hartline, Wallace, Bess...

Bryant McKinnie, Sam Brenner, Ulrick John, Jeff Linenbach, Kraig Urbik.

The number of linemen that played for the Dolphins and weren't deemed worthy to take a snap on any other team is simply staggering.

I like richburg if its pivot add. barring bills being able to trade up for a qb and I heard they are trying like crazy to they are gonna pluck one of the top 2 draft pivots daniels or price with pick 21 or 22...and in line with the player value pick wise

I also like Justin pugh at left guard...good looking guard medical should keep he and richburgs contract doable...

im still not convinced Miami is doing anything on the o line though but resigning james and relying on scheme and play calling to limit the exposure

Billy Turner got 46 snaps with the Broncos against the Giants in 2017, the Broncos lost that game, so his streak is still good.

Pouncey actually lasted this past year, maybe he can build off that and maybe we ask him to restructure. James is most likely gone, and Young played admirably in his absence but we could still use another tackle and must absolutely find a LG. Asiata better be working his *** off right now.

I hadn't seen that pointed out until now on Pouncey (i've not been that active either), you could have made a fortune gambling on here last year regarding Pouncey starting 16 games. If nothing else it means we don't have an immediate glaring area of need at C, which is a better place to start that "Oh s*** we need a center NOW")

I like richburg if its pivot add. barring bills being able to trade up for a qb and I heard they are trying like crazy to they are gonna pluck one of the top 2 draft pivots daniels or price with pick 21 or 22...and in line with the player value pick wise

I also like Justin pugh at left guard...good looking guard medical should keep he and richburgs contract doable...

im still not convinced Miami is doing anything on the o line though but resigning james and relying on scheme and play calling to limit the exposure
I'm on board with Pugh LG. Draft a 3rd Rd Center like the Ragnow Arkansas kid.
I'd rather pay Pugh than Pouncey.

I hadn't seen that pointed out until now on Pouncey (i've not been that active either), you could have made a fortune gambling on here last year regarding Pouncey starting 16 games. If nothing else it means we don't have an immediate glaring area of need at C, which is a better place to start that "Oh s*** we need a center NOW")
The above is gamblers logic. I'm not building my team based on it. Agreed part of success in NFL is based on good fortune and breaks, but I'm minimizing risk.

Back
Top Bottom