Building success starts with a franchise QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building success starts with a franchise QB

Should we draft a QB ?

• Yes-With our top pick.Franchise QBs are hard to come by.

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Yes-But only for a second tier one.

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Yes- In later rounds as a backup.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • No-We already have a franchise QB in AJ Feeley

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • No-We should get a top QB from FA

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • No-We have other positional needs that are more important.

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Other (Spicify)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
CrunchTime said:
I dont know if Feeley is the answer but to give him the benefit of the doubt I would try to get one of those second tier QB who could turn out to be as good or better than the top two.Charlie Frye or Orlovsky have the tools.

We will need a QB anyway to back up Feeley next year.I voted item No.2.

Good post Crunch, and spot-on.

SB QBs

1.Bart Starr/Len Dawson=Both Franchise
2.Bart Starr/Lamonica=1Franchise
3.Joe Namath/John Unitas=both Franchise
4.Len Dawson/Kapp=1 Franchise
5.John Unitas/Morton=1 Franchise
6.Roger Staubach/Bob Griese=Both
7.Bob Griese/Billy Kilmer=1
8.Bob Griese/Fran Tarkenton=both
9.Terry Bradshaw/Fran Tarkenton=both
10.Terry Bradshaw/Roger Staubach=Both
11.Ken Stabler/Fran Tarkenton=both
12.Roger Staubach/Craig Morral=1
13.Terry Bradshaw/Roger Staubach=both
14.Terry Bradshaw/Ferrangamo=1
15.Jim Plunkett/ Ron Jaworski=1
16.Joe Montana/Ken Anderson=both
17.Joe Theisman/David Woodley=1
18.Jim Plunkett/Joe Thiesman=both
19.Mntana/Marino=both
20.McMahon/Grogan=0
21.Simms/Elway=both
22.Williams/Elway=1
23.Montana/Esiason=both
24.Montana/Elway=both
25.Hostetler/Kelly=1
26.Rypien/Kelly=1
27.Aikman/Kelly=both
28.Aikman/Kelly=Both
29.Young/Humphries=1
30.Aikman/Odonnel=1
31.Farve/Bledsoe=2
32.Elway/Farve=2
33.Elway/Chandler=1
34.Warner/Mcnair=1
35.Dilfer/Collins=0
36.Brady/Warner=1
37.Johnson/Gannon=0
38.Brady/Delhomme=1

You guys are right history does speak for itself as far as I see it out of 76 SB QBs 53 were FRanchise QBs. Furthermore out of 38 posssible winners 32 QBs WON the SB. So to everyone that argues that HISTORY proves there isnt a need for a Franchise QB....think again. Now so everything is clear, I AGREE that taking a QB this year may not be right(there might not be enough talent) Also I HEAR the arguemant that lately there was a drop in QB caliber, but to argue that HISTORY says you dont need a star QB is dumb. So do I agree with the homers saying take a QB win a SB ABSOLUTELY NOT. Great QBs arent just out there for the taking BUT you NEED one to be a great team. There are other components that are needed also, but QBs are a must.

I'd say it depended heavily on the offensive system...

when we know who's head coach and who's running the offense we'll know if a "system QB" is required or a franchise type QB.

If I were owner I'd be looking for an offense like the one we had with Dan or like the Colts have - but that doesn't mean anyone in this years rookie class would be a Marino calibre QB. It does mean that the incumbent wouldn't fit the bill, though, however good he turns out to be.

Hence OTHER - we need to wait and see what the president/gm/head coach situation turns up.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
The problem with that is the cap. The NFL isn't designed for trades. The cap hit can be destructive. If we take a QB in the 1st, he's going to get at least a $15 million bonus. If he gets traded next year, all the remaining bonus spread out over the rest of his contract hits the cap at once. It's a great idea in theory, but unless you're trading a guy at the end of his contract the cap hit can make it next to impossible. Especially on a tem like Miami with not much cap room.

Thanks Canada! I've been waiting for a reply on this forever to determine it's feasibility. If we can grab Leinhart I say we take the risk.

jzolnowski said:
Niether did Farve Technically neither did Warner due to the fact that he was on other teams rosters but was cut before season began so he went to arena football untill STL gave him a start so if we are going to take that out it goes down to 2 and 2 and the late rounders are still not as good

If we're gonna go down that road then don't forget Elway!

Being a first round pick does not guarentee a franchise qb. Sorry argue that all you want. I am not quoting thepost because it appears there are numerous. For every successful 1st rd qb, you can find 2 busts. You will also find numerous mid round picks success stories. For one thing you need to have a good FO staff that know what to look for. You then need coaches that can guide the young kid and mold him. The mental strength has to be there at qb more than any other position, others can get by on superiror talent, but qb can get in trouble doing that and many have.

I am sorry I know I sound like an AJ apologist, but he has shown the physical skills, the mental toughness and needs experience and maturity to determine hi mental aptitude. Anyone that sits there and say based on what we have seen that they KNOW waht AJ will do or wont do is fooling themselves. Ask yourself this, if you are so good at evaluating qbs playing w/o a running game, behind one of teh worst performing lines in history, why exactly arent you in the coaching field or in football admin? Because you are not experts. Now I KNOW I am not an expert. But I like what AJ brings to the table and want to see if he can develop into something good. He may prove to be a decent qb that never gets over the hump, but he may as well. The only thing I can go by is seeing he has the arm, the toughness and listening to people that get paid to find players (RS) and people who have reps for finding good qbs (Wolf, Fassel) and coaches that have a rep for being very good with qbs (Trestman). To say that AJ wont be good or cannot develop into a franchise qb based on this year, is paranoid thinking.

ok people want to say AJ look at the comp level he faced, they were sub 500 except one, where they lost (by a missed field goal). Look at Brady's first 5 games he started in 01, lost to Mia 30-10, mia finished 11-5; beat SD 29-6, SD 5-11; beat Indi 38-17, indi 6-10, lost to den 31-20, den 8-8; beat atl 24-10, atl 7-9.

I did this solely to compare the level of comp each faced using Brady first 5 games since that is all AJ played. You can see brady went 3-2 losing to each team 500 or above in his first 5. Brady is one of teh top 6 qbs in the league. To say that AJs 4-1 record doesn't mean much because of teh level of comp is not a great indicator. He went out and performed when needed and showed heart and poise in doing so. Let AJ have the amount of time that all inexperienced qbs are given to what his true potential is.

GazPhin said:
when we know who's head coach and who's running the offense we'll know if a "system QB" is required or a franchise type QB.

If I were owner I'd be looking for an offense like the one we had with Dan or like the Colts have - but that doesn't mean anyone in this years rookie class would be a Marino calibre QB. It does mean that the incumbent wouldn't fit the bill, though, however good he turns out to be.

Hence OTHER - we need to wait and see what the president/gm/head coach situation turns up.
Good point.Of course all of this speculation depends on who the new FO will be and on their general philosophy.

CrunchTime said:
I dont know if Feeley is the answer but to give him the benefit of the doubt I would try to get one of those second tier QB who could turn out to be as good or better than the top two.Charlie Frye or Orlovsky have the tools.

We will need a QB anyway to back up Feeley next year.I voted item No.2.

I agree with this opinion.

Back
Top Bottom