Buyer Beware....1st round QB's. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buyer Beware....1st round QB's.

Dudeman said:
quick fishypete:

who was the last QB to go #2 overall to make it to the SB, and how recent was it?

Answer: Donovan McNabb, SB 39

Good one, Bro

dolfanmark said:
Since 1984, 43 Qb's have been selected in the 1st round of the regular and supplemental drafts. Of those 43, Aikman is the only one to start and win a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him.

As for Aikman/Smith comparisons, did Aikman have the questions about his arm strength like Smith does?

What is the point of your stat? Are you saying it was a mistake to draft Marino, McNair, Bledsoe, Manning, McNabb, Culpepper, Roethlisberger, Palmer, Carr, Leftwich, etc because they didn't or have yet to win a SB?

In the last 14 years Jamal Lewis is the only 1st round RB to start and win the SB for the team that drafted him.

dolfanmark said:
Since 1984, 43 Qb's have been selected in the 1st round of the regular and supplemental drafts. Of those 43, Aikman is the only one to start and win a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him.

As for Aikman/Smith comparisons, did Aikman have the questions about his arm strength like Smith does?

All of those who are sick of the Smith/arm strength statements raise your hand and say "educate yourself please". Smith has plenty of arm strength. Not to mention he answered any lingering arm strength questions with his workout.

Oh crap!! Do you see what you made me do? Now you've gone and made me post a link. Are you happy now? :tongue:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2015296

fishypete said:
The last quarterback selected No. 1 overall to win a Super Bowl within 10 years of being drafted was Troy Aikman. Aikman won his first ring more than 10 years ago with a Cowboys team that was the most talented top-to-bottom in recent memory.

So much for selecting a QB with a top pick....those are the facts...and Rodgers or Smith won't change them....they are juniors....not ready for the big time...better to use the pick for a player who can start and play right away and contribute...take Brown, Edwards or Merriman....select a player like Campbell...who has everything the juniors have...but won't cost you an arm and a leg.

who was the last rb taken number 1 that won a championship by the way?????.....or how about the last GUY taken number one????? WAS IT AIKMAN????? hmmmmmm nice argument dude....guess it doesnt mean **** tho sorry

if we do that then when we do get a qb and wait the "10 years" all your other players will be over the hill

In the last 14 years Jamal Lewis is the only 1st round RB to start and win the SB for the team that drafted him.

How are you not getting praised for that bit of information. For all of you who think a RB is going to turn our team around read that. And the defense won that game and the entire season no less. AND hes a crack head.

same could be said of RB's...thomas jones anyone??? same could be said of michigan wr's...david terell anyone???

its all about ur scouting department and how they can weed through the BS that comes out from agents, websites and jouralists this time of year...

Very stupid argument. This is OUR CHANCE to get a friggin QB. IMO the RBs in this draft are overrated. Yes I said they are overrated. RBs should only go at #2 when they as highly rated as guys like Faulk, James, and Williams. James and Williams didn't even go at 2!

A RB that's drafted in the top 3 should be perfect in every way shape and form that's why it's so rare. A QB however you have to pay for. It's not such a bad thing selecting a QB high if you can develop them correctly.

fishypete said:
The last quarterback selected No. 1 overall to win a Super Bowl within 10 years of being drafted was Troy Aikman. Aikman won his first ring more than 10 years ago with a Cowboys team that was the most talented top-to-bottom in recent memory.

So much for selecting a QB with a top pick....those are the facts...and Rodgers or Smith won't change them....they are juniors....not ready for the big time...better to use the pick for a player who can start and play right away and contribute...take Brown, Edwards or Merriman....select a player like Campbell...who has everything the juniors have...but won't cost you an arm and a leg.
'

hmm if im not mistaken alex smiths pro day was 100% comparable to aikmens...so does that mean if we draft him we will win a superbowl under him?

fishypete said:

Hmm..i hate to rip on you because your threads are usuallY pretty good, but thIS was a dumb thread. Yikes...Face it, QB is the most important position on the field...period. As long as football stands the QB will be an integral part of the game and will forever be taken(albeit sometimes overdrafted) in the first round...and more than likely with the first 10 picks. Just because YOU dont think these QB's are worth their weight in gold i can name 15-20 teams that consider them to be worth it. BTW youre talking about contributors? Lets look at the running backs taken last year in the first round shall we? Jackson at #24..Perry at#26 and Jones at#30. Did they contribute? And when i ask that i mean....did they get to a superbowl? Exactly. Roethlisberger was a steal and he was quite possibly the best rookie ever and he was a first round QB. Sorry bud...your arguement stinks. Cheers anyway. :cooldude:

merlin00069 said:
Hmm..i hate to rip on you because your threads are usuallY pretty good, but thIS was a dumb thread. Yikes...Face it, QB is the most important position on the field...period. As long as football stands the QB will be an integral part of the game and will forever be taken(albeit sometimes overdrafted) in the first round...and more than likely with the first 10 picks. Just because YOU dont think these QB's are worth their weight in gold i can name 15-20 teams that consider them to be worth it. BTW youre talking about contributors? Lets look at the running backs taken last year in the first round shall we? Jackson at #24..Perry at#26 and Jones at#30. Did they contribute? And when i ask that i mean....did they get to a superbowl? Exactly. Roethlisberger was a steal and he was quite possibly the best rookie ever and he was a first round QB. Sorry bud...your arguement stinks. Cheers anyway. :cooldude:

best rookie ever...thats very argueable

So scouts do standing ovations at workouts at the drop of a hat?

General Tso said:
So what? In the last 14 years only two running backs selected in the top half of the first round have won super bowls (Marshall Faulk, Jamal Lewis). I guess that rules out that position too.

Exactly what position are you suggesting is "safe" for a top 5 pick?
Exactly the statement I was going to make. You can't look at stupid trends like this. If you have the chance to draft a QB that could be great for a long time and you don't have a good one on your team you take him.

Exactly the statement I was going to make. You can't look at stupid trends like this. If you have the chance to draft a QB that could be great for a long time and you don't have a good one on your team you take him.

And alex smith looks great. lets get him.

Saban4prez said:
And alex smith looks great. lets get him.

Noooooooooooooooo..I don't want to be in the same situation SD is in...AJ's fine..you guys jump on any bandwagon that comes alone..I'm glad Bret Farve didn't play for us last year in his 2nd year of NFL..you'd want to replace him too. You don't have the patience of a mold hill. Give AJ a year to prove himself..please for once, see the potential..

Back
Top Bottom