Buyer Beware - Chad Oh-Nocinco! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buyer Beware - Chad Oh-Nocinco!

My annoyance in this isn't because we got him. It's because he's essentially your replacement for Brandon Marshall. That's a joke.

I don't think he's the replacement but more of a stop-gap option.

He gets us from A to B.

85 isn't a long-term solution.

Just like Matt Moore was never a long-term solution at QB.

This season we drafted Ryan Tannehill. Next season I expect us to draft a legitimate threat at WR.

Did someone on the Dolphins say that Ochocinco is supposed to be a Marshall replacement? If so, then ok sure, be outraged. But if no one said anything, and some of you guys are using that as reason to bash the 85 signing, then you're really reaching. We're not replacing Ochocinco. Not this year. Accept it and move on.

In the mean time, let's see what Ochocinco can do. If he can't do anything, then he won't make the roster. But the man's only 1 year removed from being productive. And that's 1 year in New England after he played his entire career in Cincinnati. Could you find two cultures as many worlds apart as these two franchises?

I'm not expecting much out of the signing. But I like we're giving him a chance. And what exactly are we risking? Oh no, we might have to cut Marlon Moore? Wallace? Pruitt? Naanee? :boohoo:

...cmooooon.

He's obviously not replacing Marshall, I'm not sure what the signing does other than bring some attention to Miami and give them a stroyline for Hard Knocks. This is a guy who couldn't play w/ the best QB in the game a year ago, my guess is he's done. It's a no risk move for Miami though, they could get lucky and he plays like he did a few years ago or if he sucks they can get rid of him.

meh, a 1 year deal is not a big deal...chad johnson is not going to make or break the season

He's obviously not replacing Marshall, I'm not sure what the signing does other than bring some attention to Miami and give them a stroyline for Hard Knocks. This is a guy who couldn't play w/ the best QB in the game a year ago, my guess is he's done. It's a no risk move for Miami though, they could get lucky and he plays like he did a few years ago or if he sucks they can get rid of him.

With 85's style of play this solely depends on what he has left in his tank, Chad made his living on athletic talent not smarts and I am in the camp that he is running on fumes. He might have a couple good outings if he makes the roster but honestly I would rather have 2 guys who with combined playing time put up: 800 to 1000 yards, 7 to 8 TD's and 12 to 14ypc,

than Chad with a few great games and a season total of 400 to 600 yards, 3 to 5 td's and 10 to 12ypc which is exactly where I see him at seasons end if he makes the roster, but the point being lost here is if he decides to run around out there with reckless abandon and causes whoever is taking snaps a few key interceptions by being out of position or timing which the WCO dictates and the fans are screaming and now Miami has a QB controversy when in reality it would be on 85.

Honestly I wonder how much Jeff has been watching a certain green and white team in the north and thinking, "I can get some production out of a perceived used up receiver".

Sheesh some of you are acting like Miami invested a lot in this guy. Its not like they traded a first round pick for the dude or gave him a 6 year guaranteed contract. Dude signed a 1 YEAR deal. I love how so many are so quick to jump all over ross and ireland or say how the franchise is a joke. Lets be serious, moves like this are done all over the nfl. You pick up a guy who underachieved for low cost and see what he has left.....smart and simple! Some of you act as if Miami just traded Marino in his prime. I am starting to think some are just waiting for reasons to criticize the team. Why not let things play out before being so critical. Miami had a good draft, made a good hire at coach(imo)......let them fail before declaring them a failure.

Sheesh some of you are acting like Miami invested a lot in this guy. Its not like they traded a first round pick for the dude or gave him a 6 year guaranteed contract. Dude signed a 1 YEAR deal. I love how so many are so quick to jump all over ross and ireland or say how the franchise is a joke. Lets be serious, moves like this are done all over the nfl. You pick up a guy who underachieved for low cost and see what he has left.....smart and simple! Some of you act as if Miami just traded Marino in his prime. I am starting to think some are just waiting for reasons to criticize the team. Why not let things play out before being so critical. Miami had a good draft, made a good hire at coach(imo)......let them fail before declaring them a failure.

Its a desperate move because of our ridiculously poor WR core.

Exactly how is it desperate? This team is not currently built to make the playoffs this year unless a lot goes right. Signing CHad Johnson does not change that. The guy is a stop gap plain and simple. Nobody is even sure if he improves the receivers. Hell, he may not even make the team. Desperate is making a far reach and giving up a lot to do so like a second rounder for AJ feeley.lol This is not desperate...it is a smart move imo.

Doesn't take Jeff Ireland very long to squander the good will he earned from a good draft, does it?

Where he's squandering it is in the performance to date of his draft picks on the practise field, IMO. Not with the Ocho signing, which is a low-cost insurance policy against the young WR corps not improving enough between now and season start.

Ireland's WR picks need to up their game. I'm surprised Philbin came out so early with his concern (didn't think outing bad performances would be his style at all), suggests to me that his public rebuke and the Ocho signing are designed to deliver WRs a kick in the pants before the real preseason kicks in.

I wasn't too keen on signing Ocho but the Dolphins needed something. Ocho is a low risk some reward option. If things work out the front office will look smarter, and if not, it's no big loss.

Exactly how is it desperate? This team is not currently built to make the playoffs this year unless a lot goes right. Signing CHad Johnson does not change that. The guy is a stop gap plain and simple. Nobody is even sure if he improves the receivers. Hell, he may not even make the team. Desperate is making a far reach and giving up a lot to do so like a second rounder for AJ feeley.lol This is not desperate...it is a smart move imo.

Picking up a guy that is clearly not going to help in future or to push to make the playoffs.....seems like a desperate move just to try and make our WR somewhat respectable. Which it still isn't.

The guy isn't near what he used to be, and will continue to take time from younger guys who were supposed to have potential. This move has desperation written all over it.

Picking up a guy that is clearly not going to help in future or to push to make the playoffs.....seems like a desperate move just to try and make our WR somewhat respectable. Which it still isn't.

The guy isn't near what he used to be, and will continue to take time from younger guys who were supposed to have potential. This move has desperation written all over it.

Say Tannehill does start from day one, or even a little later but gets a significant amount of starts... you don't think that having as good of a WR core, no matter the age, will help with his confidence? Can you imagine him starting with five Edmund Gates' at WR? Ocho may not be a long term piece, but to say it's clearly not going to help in the future is a little narrow-sighted.

Steve Smith of the Panthers had an awful 2010 campaign with 500+ yards and 2 TDs. 2011 he blew up and was his QB's go to guy from day 1 an an offense that's pretty anemic when it comes to offensive weapons. The QB went on to throw for 4000+ yards, break rookie records and earn a bunch of post season rookie rewards. Tell me he would have done all of that if his #1 WR was Brandon LaFell.

You want to go to younger guys who have potential. We have relatively young receivers still. That's all we had until Ocho came. And we're talking WRs that have had years on the roster to improve. We've hung on to Wallace and Moore long enough. If they can't make marked improvements that are obvious during training camp, and Ocho proves he can be a consistent contributor, then I'll gladly cut one of them for Chad.

Say Tannehill does start from day one, or even a little later but gets a significant amount of starts... you don't think that having as good of a WR core, no matter the age, will help with his confidence? Can you imagine him starting with five Edmund Gates' at WR? Ocho may not be a long term piece, but to say it's clearly not going to help in the future is a little narrow-sighted.

Steve Smith of the Panthers had an awful 2010 campaign with 500+ yards and 2 TDs. 2011 he blew up and was his QB's go to guy from day 1 an an offense that's pretty anemic when it comes to offensive weapons. The QB went on to throw for 4000+ yards, break rookie records and earn a bunch of post season rookie rewards. Tell me he would have done all of that if his #1 WR was Brandon LaFell.

You want to go to younger guys who have potential. We have relatively young receivers still. That's all we had until Ocho came. And we're talking WRs that have had years on the roster to improve. We've hung on to Wallace and Moore long enough. If they can't make marked improvements that are obvious during training camp, and Ocho proves he can be a consistent contributor, then I'll gladly cut one of them for Chad.

If Tannehill starts this year, we do him a disservice even with Chad in. Our WR core is still terrible, Chad isn't the guy you remember. Comparing him right now to Steve Smith is laughable, honestly...don't do it.

If you are waiting to see if Chad beats out one of the young WR's we are praying shows potential....you don't have to wait, I'm sure he will beat one of them out at least. But is it enough to waste a season while cutting another? Why? He is not here for the long haul. This FO already made its bed not replacing BM...bringing Ocho in is just showing us Philbin is far from happy with the WR core he seemed happy with not too long ago.

Well you can argue that a great QB makes his young receivers better but old and out of gas is old and out of gas. There is more media buzz around this than anything else that will come of it.

Man, I know this is what happens here, but I cannot believe the way some people are over reacting to signing this guy. It's not a desperation move. A desperation move would have been signing him to a 2-3 year deal for fairly decent money. This is a 1 year deal for the veteran minimum....they didn't over pay.

What this move and contract tells me is that they are simply kicking the tires on him to see if he could be an asset to our offense. If so, we get him on the cheap for a season. If not, cut him loose, no big deal and move on.

The other thing that makes me wonder about this signing is Hartlines health status. I know reports are saying he has a calf strain, but I do wonder if there is some concern it may be worse?

Back
Top Bottom