Buyer Beware - Chad Oh-Nocinco! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buyer Beware - Chad Oh-Nocinco!

It's not a desperation move. A desperation move would have been signing him to a 2-3 year deal for fairly decent money. This is a 1 year deal for the veteran minimum....they didn't over pay.
That wouldn't be a desperation move. That would be a clinically insane move. No NFL front office would even think of offering this guy a deal like that, not after watching him last year.

This move keeps getting characterized as no-risk, high reward. It's more like no-risk, low reward.

Some of you guys are way too certain that you know that a 6-time Pro Bowler has nothing left. Probably the same people who were certain that Randy Moss had nothing left before the Pats signed him and he broke all kinds of records.

That wouldn't be a desperation move. That would be a clinically insane move. No NFL front office would even think of offering this guy a deal like that, not after watching him last year.

This move keeps getting characterized as no-risk, high reward. It's more like no-risk, low reward.

Agree, but the way some here are acting about the signing, you would swear that's what the Dolphins did.

Even if it is a no-risk, low reward situation, it's not this big of a deal.

We have lauded the Miami Dolphins for their signing of Chad Ochocinco in large part because we have assumed that his contract was a low-risk move.

After seeing the numbers, you could call it a no-risk move.

Peter King of SI.com reported Tuesday that Ochocinco signed for the veteran's minimum of $925,000 deal. He can double that through incentives to just over $2 million, but he will need to catch 80 passes to do that. He caught 15 last year.

Basically, the Dolphins can cut him before the season starts with no penalty. There is no guaranteed money. And we think Ochocinco will have to earn a starting job to even make the team.

As NFL.com reporter Jeff Darlington points out, the Ochocinco move is a sign that the team is doing business differently than it did during the Bill Parcells era. That doesn't mean this was an especially risky move by general manager Jeff Ireland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...erans-minimum-

We have lauded the Miami Dolphins for their signing of Chad Ochocinco in large part because we have assumed that his contract was a low-risk move.

After seeing the numbers, you could call it a no-risk move.

Peter King of SI.com reported Tuesday that Ochocinco signed for the veteran's minimum of $925,000 deal. He can double that through incentives to just over $2 million, but he will need to catch 80 passes to do that. He caught 15 last year.

Basically, the Dolphins can cut him before the season starts with no penalty. There is no guaranteed money. And we think Ochocinco will have to earn a starting job to even make the team.

As NFL.com reporter Jeff Darlington points out, the Ochocinco move is a sign that the team is doing business differently than it did during the Bill Parcells era. That doesn't mean this was an especially risky move by general manager Jeff Ireland.

So i'm thinking that his roster spot comes down to naanee.

Some of you are blowing this signing out of proportion.

It's a no risk, high reward sign.

If Chad proves he can be a #1 ,2, or 3 WR then we got him for cheap (maybe he has a ala' Randy Moss type of year) and returns to his old form.

If Chad gets beaten out by the young WR's and just doesn't have anything left, you cut him! No guaranteed money, no problem.

IMO we brought Chad in to see if he has anything left, I think he does and he will push the young WR corp in competition.

Some of you are blowing this signing out of proportion.

It's a no risk, high reward sign.

If Chad proves he can be a #1 ,2, or 3 WR then we got him for cheap (maybe he has a ala' Randy Moss type of year) and returns to his old form.

If Chad gets beaten out by the young WR's and just doesn't have anything left, you cut him! No guaranteed money, no problem.

IMO we brought Chad in to see if he has anything left, I think he does and he will push the young WR corp in competition.

My thoughts exactly. We have nothing to lose & everything to gain. Our best WR is a slot, and hartline is a good number 2. But we do need help, and yeah he may not get 1200 yards & 10 TD,s but if he contributes about half that for the year, and helps Gates, Pruitt or Cunningham (or any other on the bubble WR) progress with there career, then thats good.

I dont know why there is such negativity with this signing. It's not as though there are a dozen No 1 WR on the sideline waiting to be signed.

Completely agreed bout finheaven (here goes to my banning). Don't disagree wit da team baby!

(sarcastic) Ocho will be the best this year no matter what .. ala Finheaven.

Forget the fact he had problems from his rookie season and even the Patriots couldn't find a fit for him ..

Honestly, if he can at least fake it enough to draw the best cornerback on the opposing team and get the other wr's open, that would be good enough .. but of course thats the question

Just remember, we had Brandon Marshall and compare Ocho to him and then make a intelligent analysis and you'll know what I'm trying to say ..

We all know (even though some overly "hopeful" fans believe Tannehill will start (LoL)) Moore will start and Garrard will be second and absolute last (with good reason), Tannehill. Brandon was on the this team and was still barely cutting it (Trust me, he's glad he's gone) and now we have Ocho who couldn't cut it with Brady, the best there is/was QB wise .. seems like a "Bring fans back" pick

Just my two cents

(Don't ban me for calling things as they are, its sad we waste money on has-beens to improve fan base when we should have recruited serious players .. should have kept Marshall and paired him w/ Kyle Orton (Who WAS available), they had great chemistry but no defense)

So i'm thinking that his roster spot comes down to naanee.
It is still early in the process, but apparently Naanee has been standing out in OTAs. I think Ochocinco and Naanee could both make the team. Say Ocho earns a starting job in camp, I could see Naanee sticking as the 3rd/4th receiver. Personally I see the Dolphins keeping six receivers so I don't see those two going head to head for one spot.

worst signing we've made all offseason...and that includes david garrards corpse...ocho was washed up 2 years ago...this is larry johnson all over again type stuff...couldn't learn pats o but will learn our philbin o...ha ha good luck

makes me think the wr core looks like hot garbage in otas thus we take on chad johnsons corpse...if legedu naanee is the best looking wr when pads come on like he seems to have been the case to date to my understanding we are straight fubarred...unless philbin is a revolutionary like game planner...i know shermans not

this is a waste of time...ocho taking valuable reps from our pups...

Completely agreed bout finheaven (here goes to my banning). Don't disagree wit da team baby!

(sarcastic) Ocho will be the best this year no matter what .. ala Finheaven.

Forget the fact he had problems from his rookie season and even the Patriots couldn't find a fit for him ..

Honestly, if he can at least fake it enough to draw the best cornerback on the opposing team and get the other wr's open, that would be good enough .. but of course thats the question

Just remember, we had Brandon Marshall and compare Ocho to him and then make a intelligent analysis and you'll know what I'm trying to say ..

We all know (even though some overly "hopeful" fans believe Tannehill will start (LoL)) Moore will start and Garrard will be second and absolute last (with good reason), Tannehill. Brandon was on the this team and was still barely cutting it (Trust me, he's glad he's gone) and now we have Ocho who couldn't cut it with Brady, the best there is/was QB wise .. seems like a "Bring fans back" pick

Just my two cents

(Don't ban me for calling things as they are, its sad we waste money on has-beens to improve fan base when we should have recruited serious players .. should have kept Marshall and paired him w/ Kyle Orton (Who WAS available), they had great chemistry but no defense)

you were doing pretty well til you said kyle orton...that dudes garbage

Hmmmm ...

Kyle Orton to Marshall (probowl numbers for a couple of years) then to Lloyd .. etc .. or Moore to Ocho or Garrard to Ocho or Tannehill to Ocho ..

Get my point?

I'll take "garbage" over that

Kyle isn't that bad, he chokes when he's getting pwned but otherwise he's a pretty spot on qb with a good short pass and long pass, especially with his best bud Marshall

Also, he had no defense in Denver .. we could provide that if we don't have turnstyle in ..

Hmmmm ...

Kyle Orton to Marshall (probowl numbers for a couple of years) then to Lloyd .. etc .. or Moore to Ocho or Garrard to Ocho or Tannehill to Ocho ..

Get my point?

I'll take "garbage" over that

Kyle isn't that bad, he chokes when he's getting pwned but otherwise he's a pretty spot on qb with a good short pass and long pass, especially with his best bud Marshall

Also, he had no defense in Denver .. we could provide that if we don't have turnstyle in ..

kyle orton blows...always has always will...you don't know it tough nuts...i do...

good day

I agree with you, and would agreed with that, but you got Tannehill not Luck in the draft

I.e. I'll take Orton, he's good enough to build a great defense around him and win a championship any day. He can take advantage of good WR's and make plays when needed (every now and then)

Will he win it alone? No. Is he able to win with a balanced defense and offense? I would say yes.

Orton is the worst quarter back of all the best quarterbacks imho. He's in the Tier, but at the very end and even a little lower than that.

I'll put it to you this way (and probably a stupid example but valid) in fantasy football, if he you didn't have aaron rodgers, the manings, or cam newton, he was a good last option, always put up 20+ points except on horrid games against good defenses

can't say that about many other qb's

please don't talk fantasy football to me ever again...i'm not looking for garbage stats in garbage time i'm looking for legit nfl qb play and kyle ortons serviceable...as is david garrard and matt moore...only legit chance we have right now to have someone take us over the hump and make us legit contenders is the unknown of ryan tannehill and i'll take that any day...an unknown over what i know is not good enough

Back
Top Bottom