Byron Maxwell Released and Fales signed | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Byron Maxwell Released and Fales signed

Yea I think its Maurice Smith, especially when looking for a spot for TJ, they play the same position.

Plus he is below both Lucas and Aikens on special teams. Smith was inactive vs. the Jets.
Hard to take away a special teams player and replace him with a non special teams player. If you cut Smith (who was inactive) then one of the guys playing special teams (Lucas or Aikens) will have to be inactive so that TJ can play. You can only have 46 active players. It would make more sense to cut Nate Allen who's playing in TJ's spot.

At the end of the day all I see is a team that gave up a top 10 pick to do another team a 'solid' by taking out their trash. Eagles won that trade the second it happened, regardless of it working out or not.
I thought Maxwell would have balled when he came here, I really did. Still don't understand how his play has declined so badly and so fast this year.

they deactivated tank too early so i wouldn't read too much into that...some of these kids are being kept for developmental aspects...chase allen, Maurice smith, eric smith all come to mind...Jordan lucas has been here long enough where he either bites or you cut bait...but I do understand that the athlete fits for specials....even if I don't think he's much of a difference maker on them...I see aikens, Thomas, and perry as the difference makers on specials...and if you got 3 guys like that I don't think you really need a 4th...

but like I said when tj comes back it may be a positional #s thing....

lucas though plays a bad safety and a bad corner...Maurice smith is a much better looking safety option

Hard to take away a special teams player and replace him with a non special teams player. If you cut Smith (who was inactive) then one of the guys playing special teams (Lucas or Aikens) will have to be inactive so that TJ can play. You can only have 46 active players. It would make more sense to cut Nate Allen who's playing in TJ's spot.

I wouldn't do that either...I'd keep him for single high and package run...and you are in to him $3 mil already...

Man,

I disagreed with SOS on a number of items.. Its well documented...

He knew his stuff though, his rationale is a different story...

But hes one of the more knowledgeable posters FH had...

I'm sure he would have some well articulated rebuttals for you....... haha

One about the defense he would note is that we have not played nearly as much wide 9 as Vance did last season....

With the improved LB play and more 4-3 Under.... Better product.

But, I get it man, he could certainly ruffle some feathers...

Wherever you are SOS, I miss you, he completed me......

Like the Dark Knight and Joker....

I found him entertaining as well lol.

Wow that was a shocker. Burke said a few weeks ago that Maxwell would be Dolphin the rest of the season. Something must have happened behind closed doors or he is hurt.

I mean i doubt they take Nate Allen out of the starting lineup right away and I fully expect TJ to be inserted immediately on special teams so that offsets the Mo Smith loss. Nate Allen also plays special teams.

Assuming health for all and keeping Fales/TJ/Larsen and cutting bait on Smith and Lucas

The inactives would be: Brendal, Young, Asiata, Taylor, Fales, Anthony and Carroo.

So i get it on Lucas, he likely wouldn't make a special teams impact because of being inactive so may as well have the better looking position player or in this case both get cut and you still have 5 cbs, 4 safeties and a hybrid special teams ace in Aikens . . . Plus most of these guys back on your PS.

Makes sense

I thought Maxwell would have balled when he came here, I really did. Still don't understand how his play has declined so badly and so fast this year.

He thought he was something he wasn't this season. Bought into his own hype from playing well down the stretch last year.

It's not that he's a terrible player ... the combination of that contract and knowing the Eagles would've released him had they not found a taker was the killer. Both players could've been had for peanuts ... we traded out of the top 10. I get indigestion thinking about it. Laremy lessened the blow but acting like they could've predicted that video release and subsequent slide is crazy town.

He thought he was something he wasn't this season. Bought into his own hype from playing well down the stretch last year.

It's not that he's a terrible player ... the combination of that contract and knowing the Eagles would've released him had they not found a taker was the killer. Both players could've been had for peanuts ... we traded out of the top 10. I get indigestion thinking about it. Laremy lessened the blow but acting like they could've predicted that video release and subsequent slide is crazy town.

I mean in hindsight, we don't make the playoffs last year without that trade. Maxwell was crucial in several big games vs. top receivers. Kiko is a HOF compared to the crap we threw next to him at LB.

It was necessary to get competent bodies on the roster. I regret none of it.

And this trade gets even better in 3 years when Tunsils 5th year option slides in at around $10 million for being picked 11-32, instead of the over $15 milion it would of cost being a top 10 pick.

Taking the positives and dropping the what ifs.

I mean in hindsight, we don't make the playoffs last year without that trade. Maxwell was crucial in several big games vs. top receivers. Kiko is a HOF compared to the crap we threw next to him at LB.

And this trade gets even better in 3 years when Tunsils 5th year option slides in at around $10 million for being picked 11-32, instead of the over $15 milion it would of cost being a top 10 pick.

I get that the results weren't disastrous but nothing will ever make that trade a savvy move. The value was just horrendous ... bailing out a team in the midst of a fire sale is loopy to justify.

I am glad it didn't completely blow up in our face. It's kind of an opposite Dion Jordan situation. Great value but they mispronounced Lane Johnson, negating everything.

Good point. They would have picked Tunsil regardless of where in the 1st round we were picking that year. However, Tannenbaum is horrendous when it comes to working the cap and picking up that contract from Maxwell is another sign he hasn't learned his lesson. As it is we're less than $2 million under the cap right now so very little carry over when Suh's contract explodes to $26 million and Tannehill's goes to $17 or $20 million. Releasing Maxwell was a given...will they release Pouncey, which needs to happen?

Still think Maxwell was ok when used in press coverage. So what happens if Howard or Tankersly goes down? Verner as a start on the boundry doesn't sound good.

guess no one would take on that contract

gonna be signed by a contender and gonna see action...guaranteed
That's how I see it too.

It's not popular to say, but Maxwell has a lot of ability. When he is focused and playing within the scheme, he is very good. No doubt that a team who loses a starting CB goes in for him, and he'll probably have his pick if the price is reasonable.

From the Dolphins standpoint, I'm 100% whatever move Gase wants to make. I do wonder if this statement move had anything to do with the coaching staff's recent downsizing. Regardless, this will get the players' attention, much like the very correct firing of Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner and Jamil Douglas, all of whom were garbage. Maxwell had more talent and productivity, but he simply didn't get with the coaching staff's program. Gase showed that nobody is sacred. If Gase isn't happy with you, we'll get rid of you, dead cap or not.

But, I can't help but think we ate a LOT of dead cap money on this one, so I sincerely hope that whatever travesty Sleeves Maxwell did is justified. I'm also very excited about Tankersley, and I'm still fully behind Xavien Howard, although many are taking pot shots at him these days. But I hope Maxwell's release was because of Maxwell, not Tankersley's development.

He will certainly get signed by someone else, probably very soon. But im sure as hell still glad he isnt getting paid a fortune to lineup for us anymore

Back
Top Bottom