Cam Newton Atop Fins Draft Board | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Newton Atop Fins Draft Board

Tom Brady was the one in a million who got selected in the sixth round and became a franchise quarterback so is that what you wanna lay our chances to 1/1,000,000 TJ Yates will never be Tom Brady stop believing in fantasies.
Once upon a time, Tom Brady had to battle a younger player for playing time at Michigan, sharing time with Drew Henson even in Brady's senior season. Cam Newton with all his talent and his success at Blinn, the fact that he was claiming NFL wages even while still in college, had to win a 'heated' battle with Barrett Trotter in order to claim the right to run the Auburn offense this year and that's a solid fact. So pointing out that he had to battle someone for the starting job this year doesn't make a lick of difference to me.

And pointing out the "fact" that he's a 6th or 7th round pick...umm...yeah. Why am I supposed to care about that, again?

I'm not going to sit here and spend another 5,000 words talking about what I like about T.J. Yates when I've already talked about him plenty. The bottom line is he runs the offense and has a firmer grasp on the details of the pro position better than any player in the Draft. He has the best deep ball of any player in the Draft. He still makes dopey decisions every now and then but he's shown the ability to rein those in, and I don't mind them so much because the better part of them tend to be aggressive mistakes. He was MONEY in the 4th quarter this year, generally speaking, and consistently ran the best 2-minute drill, do-or-die situation offenses I've seen in all of college football this year. He's extremely accurate, as evidenced by his 68% accuracy and the fact that my research has shown that he either completes the ball or puts it right on the hands at 30+ yards something like 70% of the time. And yet, the most dangerous part of his game in 2010 was his short game, the ability to get the ball to a man on the move and let him run after the catch, take the easy yards and hurt a defense that way. His feet are very good, though he's not a superb athlete on a straight line. He pays attention to the details of the game like a Peyton Manning, and it's no coincidence he's been to Manning Camp three times.

He's an extremely, extremely, extremely polished player that happens to also be 6'4" and 220+ lbs, with the arm to make every throw necessary in the NFL, perfect mechanics (and I do mean perfect), and really good accuracy. His mistake/brain fart factor is too high to be considered an elite prospect, but he's very undervalued.

I'm sure you can search for my posts on Yates and find more on why I like him. I started a thread about him a month ago, that's still alive somewhere down the list.

Tom Brady was the one in a million who got selected in the sixth round and became a franchise quarterback so is that what you wanna lay our chances to 1/1,000,000 TJ Yates will never be Tom Brady stop believing in fantasies.

You didnt bother to read his post, im guessing?

I think Cam Newton is definitely worth drafting. Upside is just way to tempting not to take a shot on. Problem is we aren't going to get him. If he has more workouts that impress and does great at the combine, he is gone before pick #15. I don't think we have the ammunition to move up either since we lack a 2nd round pick, and can't afford to move anybody off our roster that anybody would want (probably can't trade players anyway depending on what goes down with the CBA)
IF by some chance he is there at 15, why wouldn't we take him. We need a QB, and we need speed and explosiveness. He is all that. Can't do much worse than our current QB situation.
Furthermore, who else are we going to take? The best value in the 1st round this year is on the Defensive side of the ball, and fin fans would scream murder if we took defense.
Ingram, do we take him? He could be good, but I was hoping for a back with top end speed that won't be brought down from behind all the time. I don't think Ingram makes a real stud feature back in the NFL. Better than serviceable yeah, just not a top 10 kinda guy.
I say it would be great to get CAm, but in reality I don't think it's going to happen. I don't want to get my hopes up.
Probably end up with Ingram or a big OT.

I am not saying to draft Yates high but rather get him mid rounds if he is available. Truth is no one knows which QB will succeed but I have read alot of scouting reports and discussed Yates with the drafting gurus in here and I like what I am hearing. One of our guru's mentioned his work ethic reminding him of Peyton Manning. I love Manning's work ethic and would love to get a kid in here that will push the other QBs.

In this regime's drafts they have selected multiple picks on CB and WR in the same draft and I would like to believe that they would do the same for QB. Whoever they select to be the franchise QB I'd be elated if they picked Yates to push the annointed one.

Back
Top Bottom