Cam Newton Atop Fins Draft Board | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Newton Atop Fins Draft Board

T.J. Yates is not awful. I have seen as many of his 2010 games as you have, and I have no doubt that I have scrutinized his play more closely than you have. He is a good player and a good draft prospect.

i like most of your post but, what do you like about him, the fact that he is a 6th - 7th round prospect or his fantastic junior year that he had or the fact that he had to battle a freshman qb to win the starting job his senior year. he had a few good games this year, but im telling you he is nothing more then a career backup.

i like most of your post but, what do you like about him, the fact that he is a 6th - 7th round prospect or his fantastic junior year that he had or the fact that he had to battle a freshman qb to win the starting job his senior year. he had a few good games this year, but im telling you he is nothing more then a career backup.

Once upon a time, Tom Brady had to battle a younger player for playing time at Michigan, sharing time with Drew Henson even in Brady's senior season. Cam Newton with all his talent and his success at Blinn, the fact that he was claiming NFL wages even while still in college, had to win a 'heated' battle with Barrett Trotter in order to claim the right to run the Auburn offense this year and that's a solid fact. So pointing out that he had to battle someone for the starting job this year doesn't make a lick of difference to me.

And pointing out the "fact" that he's a 6th or 7th round pick...umm...yeah. Why am I supposed to care about that, again?

I'm not going to sit here and spend another 5,000 words talking about what I like about T.J. Yates when I've already talked about him plenty. The bottom line is he runs the offense and has a firmer grasp on the details of the pro position better than any player in the Draft. He has the best deep ball of any player in the Draft. He still makes dopey decisions every now and then but he's shown the ability to rein those in, and I don't mind them so much because the better part of them tend to be aggressive mistakes. He was MONEY in the 4th quarter this year, generally speaking, and consistently ran the best 2-minute drill, do-or-die situation offenses I've seen in all of college football this year. He's extremely accurate, as evidenced by his 68% accuracy and the fact that my research has shown that he either completes the ball or puts it right on the hands at 30+ yards something like 70% of the time. And yet, the most dangerous part of his game in 2010 was his short game, the ability to get the ball to a man on the move and let him run after the catch, take the easy yards and hurt a defense that way. His feet are very good, though he's not a superb athlete on a straight line. He pays attention to the details of the game like a Peyton Manning, and it's no coincidence he's been to Manning Camp three times.

He's an extremely, extremely, extremely polished player that happens to also be 6'4" and 220+ lbs, with the arm to make every throw necessary in the NFL, perfect mechanics (and I do mean perfect), and really good accuracy. His mistake/brain fart factor is too high to be considered an elite prospect, but he's very undervalued.

I'm sure you can search for my posts on Yates and find more on why I like him. I started a thread about him a month ago, that's still alive somewhere down the list.

Once upon a time, Tom Brady had to battle a younger player for playing time at Michigan, sharing time with Drew Henson even in Brady's senior season. Cam Newton with all his talent and his success at Blinn, the fact that he was claiming NFL wages even while still in college, had to win a 'heated' battle with Barrett Trotter in order to claim the right to run the Auburn offense this year and that's a solid fact. So pointing out that he had to battle someone for the starting job this year doesn't make a lick of difference to me.

And pointing out the "fact" that he's a 6th or 7th round pick...umm...yeah. Why am I supposed to care about that, again?

I'm not going to sit here and spend another 5,000 words talking about what I like about T.J. Yates when I've already talked about him plenty. The bottom line is he runs the offense and has a firmer grasp on the details of the pro position better than any player in the Draft. He has the best deep ball of any player in the Draft. He still makes dopey decisions every now and then but he's shown the ability to rein those in, and I don't mind them so much because the better part of them tend to be aggressive mistakes. He was MONEY in the 4th quarter this year, generally speaking, and consistently ran the best 2-minute drill, do-or-die situation offenses I've seen in all of college football this year. He's extremely accurate, as evidenced by his 68% accuracy and the fact that my research has shown that he either completes the ball or puts it right on the hands at 30+ yards something like 70% of the time. And yet, the most dangerous part of his game in 2010 was his short game, the ability to get the ball to a man on the move and let him run after the catch, take the easy yards and hurt a defense that way. His feet are very good, though he's not a superb athlete on a straight line. He pays attention to the details of the game like a Peyton Manning, and it's no coincidence he's been to Manning Camp three times.

He's an extremely, extremely, extremely polished player that happens to also be 6'4" and 220+ lbs, with the arm to make every throw necessary in the NFL, perfect mechanics (and I do mean perfect), and really good accuracy. His mistake/brain fart factor is too high to be considered an elite prospect, but he's very undervalued.

I'm sure you can search for my posts on Yates and find more on why I like him. I started a thread about him a month ago, that's still alive somewhere down the list.

is this tj yates posting himself. lol. your going to be very dissapointed when he fails. if he doesnt (10% chance of that happening) i will admit i was wrong and you are the draft guru. doubt im wrong on this one though.

is this tj yates posting himself. lol. your going to be very dissapointed when he fails. if he doesnt (10% chance of that happening) i will admit i was wrong and you are the draft guru. doubt im wrong on this one though.

I'm no draft guru either and I can still see why TJ yates could have a great NFL career. If you look at one thing take a look at the deep ball the guy throws. Pair that with his attention to detail and above average ARM strength and you've got a legit qb prospect. Don't be surprised if he ends up going in the 4th round. The guy can play. As far as QBs in this class that I would want if I needed a td with 2 min left, TJ is at the top.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Well that's kind of a convenient for you. Suddenly I'm staking my reputation on a guy I am predicting most likely will NOT become a good pro starter?

I just got done saying that his bad decision making prevents him from being a top tier prospect. What that means is, the chances are better that he WILL NOT be a good pro starter, than that he WILL be one. I'm not sure I agree with your 10% figure, but mine wouldn't be that far off from it, maybe 20 or 30%.

Ted, you need to realize the tj yates is awful, if he becomes a starter in the nfl i will convert to the cfl. i watch all the unc games he is trash, he has one great game out of like 6 he is very inconsistent. kind of reminds me of chad heene at one point you go man he looks good and then most of the time you just shake your head at how bad he is when you watch him.

i do like cam newton it would be good to go after a dual threat qb hopefully we get a great oline built in front of him, if we were to get him.

Namor lives just down the road from Toomer's Corner, which obviously makes him the premier authority on Cam Newton... and he doesn't like him.

That's how much sense you make...

I've had Wire Rd and University Blvd. un-installed on my Tom-Tom.

why would anyone say hes a 4th rder if he has all the abilities to have a good NFL career?

did any of you honestly think Beck would go where he went? Or Pat White? or Brohm going that late? Or Henne a 2nd rounder?

No one konws what will and can happen draft day b/c they have a better feel of player position due to being around other teams and that atmosphere as opposed to us that have only us to gets vibes off.

No I'm not a fan of Cam's...but I don't say much about it because I'm a Bama guy.
I don't want to hear "You don't like him because your a bammer".
Don't think for one second that it is impossible for him to go the way of
Jamarcus Russell.
Remember JaMarcus had all world workouts back in the day.
Then he got paid.
I could be wrong and Cam becomes the greatist QB ever.....doubt it.
I think a coach like Chan Gailey could build a offense around him and
make him a offensive weapon...our current staff,he would be a Wildcat RB.
I don't think Cam will be a 10-12 year starter in this league.
His power running is what makes him unique,that will take its toll in the NFL.
Remember,he is fast..but he isn't Mike Vick fast...Mike Vick isn't Mick Vick fast
anymore.
To ME,my opinion,Ryan Mallett has the POTENTIAL to be 10 year starter.
They both have the same amount of baggage.
I also,prefer the classic big arm,drop back pocket QB.
Just my two cents.

Jamarcus Russell is kind of a lazy comparison IMO, because he had far more football-related red flags. Nick Saban constantly struggled trying to get Jamarcus to fulfill his potential. Constantly. He benched him for cryin out loud. Cam Newton sat behind the guy many call the greatest college football player of all time. When Tebow decided not to come out, Cam left the program, had to sit out a year, and when he got his D1-A opportunity he ran with it (literally and figuratively).

I mean not only do Jamarcus and Cam not even closely resemble one another on the field, but the background is dissimilar as well, is what I'm saying. And nobody who spends 5 minutes watching Jamarcus Russell speak and then watches Cam Newton speak...is going to say they have the same attitude.

Cam Newton is who he is. He's enigmatic. Every prospect has a chance of busting. Some of the traditional red flags say that his chances of busting are a little higher than most. But in the end, talking about "chances" and "percentages" for an event that can and will only happen once, isn't worth spit in a can. It's will and will not, did and did not. I'm more comfortable saying "will" for Cam Newton than "will not".

CK..Do you have faith in our staff to properly utilize Cams abilities?

Back
Top Bottom