Can A Player be the Best Ever and Not Have a Ring? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can A Player be the Best Ever and Not Have a Ring?

CirclingWagons said:
You Dolphin fans always hide behind the Dilfer excuse when someone doesn't say Dan's the best.

Dilfer=not a great qb, not even a good qb really

Marino=great qb, no ring

Montana= great qb, 4 rings

Elway=great qb, 2 rings

Are you gonna deny that Elway and Montana were great now?
Sorry, but when you have to choose between 2 great qbs, I'll take the one with the hardware thank you.

See I'm not saying they aren't Great QB's by any means I just don't understand how a position can be ranked by how many rings a guy won!
I don't hear any one use that for any other position besides QB that's why I don't get it!
RB's get rated on yards, TD's

WR's cathes, yards, TD and with QB's it's how many rings!
Maybe it's just me but if it's a players in a position then they should be rated by the stats they put up in the position not how many rings there teams won!
But I guess that's just something we don't agree on and that's cool! It's been fun but I get to leave work now so you guys have a good weekend! :D

shalafi3455 said:
See I'm not saying they aren't Great QB's by any means I just don't understand how a position can be ranked by how many rings a guy won!
I don't hear any one use that for any other position besides QB that's why I don't get it!
RB's get rated on yards, TD's

WR's cathes, yards, TD and with QB's it's how many rings!
Maybe it's just me but if it's a players in a position then they should be rated by the stats they put up in the position not how many rings there teams won!
But I guess that's just something we don't agree on and that's cool! It's been fun but I get to leave work now so you guys have a good weekend! :D

Look dude, I'm not saying Marino wasn't great, he was ****ing insane. But, Montana was a great qb too. When you have 2 great qbs to choose from, most fans(including myself) will take the one who's won it

CirclingWagons said:
Look dude, I'm not saying Marino wasn't great, he was ****ing insane. But, Montana was a great qb too. When you have 2 great qbs to choose from, most fans(including myself) will take the one who's won it

I guess that means ever QB with a ring is better than any QB ever to play without one! In your words you would have to take the guy that has won it! Thanks I understand now! Your right I would rather have Trent Dilfer over Marino any day! If your going to use it for one I guess you would have to use it for them all! Thanks for setting me straight! I feel better now! :up:

shalafi3455 said:
It's not denial! You said 90% of people would choice one way and that is not fact is all I was saying! It's your opinion!

Just F'in with you woogie! :)

shalafi3455 said:
I know, just saying! :up:

I know it's a nerve!

Man I am sick of the Trent Dilfer ring thing. He must be flattered being compare to some of the greats. :roflmao:

Driven said:
I know it's a nerve!

Man I am sick of the Trent Dilfer ring thing. He must be flattered being compare to some of the greats. :roflmao:

Well if it works for one debate is has to work for them all doesn't it? You can support an argument one way but say it doesn't an other! It's pretty much that same thing!

shalafi3455 said:
Well if it works for one debate is has to work for them all doesn't it? You can support an argument one way but say it doesn't an other! It's pretty much that same thing!

I think Trent is a bad example. They are two extremes! Dan is agruably the greatest QB ever and Trent just happen to be the QB for a team that had the greatest defense in the history of the game. Trent was a below average QB. A better example would be Doug Willaims. He has one or two(I forget) rings and was a decent QB, but better than Dan, no.

Driven said:
I think Trent is a bad example. They are two extremes! Dan is agruably the greatest QB ever and Trent just happen to be the QB for a team that had the greatest defense in the history of the game. Trent was a below average QB. A better example would be Doug Willaims. He has one or two(I forget) rings and was a decent QB, but better than Dan, no.

But if you are going to use that argument with Montana being better because he has won! You would have to use that reasoning with every QB that has one a ring! So I guess Bledso, seeing he has a ring would qualify as being better!
That is why I wanted to know why besides the rings Montana would be better! No one would give me one so you would have to use the same reasoning! That is why I didn't think the argument made much sence to me!

CirclingWagons said:
Sorry, but when you have to choose between 2 great qbs, I'll take the one with the hardware thank you.
So Marino's "legend" is based on one game? If Miami wins that Super Bowl against the Niners, then Marino is considered the greatest because he owns every major passing record and then some, plus a Super Bowl ring? But since the Dolphins lost that game he can never be considered the greatest? I don't buy it.

By most peoples rationale Montana is the greatest QB because he lead the 49ers to those Super Bowl Championships. Montana was on great teams, period. Switch him and Marino and the Dolphins still don't have a championship, while I'll guarantee the Niners still have theirs. I'm not saying you could plug in any QB and the Niners would win but if you put in guys like Marino, Elway, Farve, Kelly, etc, I don't think those 49er teams would miss a beat.

KYfinfan said:
So Marino's "legend" is based on one game? If Miami wins that Super Bowl against the Niners, then Marino is considered the greatest because he owns every major passing record and then some, plus a Super Bowl ring? But since the Dolphins lost that game he can never be considered the greatest? I don't buy it.

By most peoples rationale Montana is the greatest QB because he lead the 49ers to those Super Bowl Championships. Montana was on great teams, period. Switch him and Marino and the Dolphins still don't have a championship, while I'll guarantee the Niners still have theirs. I'm not saying you could plug in any QB and the Niners would win but if you put in guys like Marino, Elway, Farve, Kelly, etc, I don't think those 49er teams would miss a beat.

Thanks you at least someone understands! :D

shalafi3455 said:
But if you are going to use that argument with Montana being better because he has won! You would have to use that reasoning with every QB that has one a ring! So I guess Bledso, seeing he has a ring would qualify as being better!
That is why I wanted to know why besides the rings Montana would be better! No one would give me one so you would have to use the same reasoning! That is why I didn't think the argument made much sence to me!

I think it is a great debate, but people just use bad examples. Like you just did again. Bledsoe got his ring as a backup, that statement was just moronic. People are not just talking about one ring here, Montana won 4! Can you name another player, nevermind QB that has 4? If Montana won 1 or 2 then this debate would not be even close. The Dilfer example just makes no sense.

I really do not have an opinion either way, I just hate the Dilfer example.

Back
Top Bottom