Can A Player be the Best Ever and Not Have a Ring? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can A Player be the Best Ever and Not Have a Ring?

Super_Duper85

Deep Threat
Reaction score
I know people might be biased like myself, but can Dan Marino be the best qb ever, even without a ring?? I say yes, because in his case, he holds every major passing record. What I never understand about this question is if you are asking who the best INDIVIDUAL is, then why are TEAM accomplishments lumped into the equation. A ring symbolizes that you played for the best teams (which Dan did not). In Dan's case, he made his team better. He legitimately gave Miami a chance to win every game. I don't think Montana would have won many titles if he played on the teams Marino did. Conversley, if Marino played for the 49ers, he may have become arguably the best football player ever (based on # of rings because I think he would have won many). Any thoughts?? Would you rather have Dan than any other qb?? If not, who would you rather have and why??? I would take Dan no matter what.

Yes. Football, belive it or not, is a TEAM sport. You can be the best ever, and not have the supporting cast to win yourself a championship.

Yes. Football is the ultimate team sport. You've got to have guys around you who are also talented and good at what they do.

I agree that he can and is the best even without a ring. In team sports you cant control everything so how can you be held accountable? Especially in football when you are not even on the filed half the time, and Dan did have some bad defenses. The only argument agaist this would be that because Dan was such a great passer he was more self focused. Not as good a teammate and also may have influenced coahing decisions like play calling and even drafting. He never got a good rb and they really didnt try as many times as they did with WRs.

Super_Duper85 said:
I know people might be biased like myself, but can Dan Marino be the best qb ever, even without a ring?? I say yes, because in his case, he holds every major passing record. What I never understand about this question is if you are asking who the best INDIVIDUAL is, then why are TEAM accomplishments lumped into the equation. A ring symbolizes that you played for the best teams (which Dan did not). In Dan's case, he made his team better. He legitimately gave Miami a chance to win every game. I don't think Montana would have won many titles if he played on the teams Marino did. Conversley, if Marino played for the 49ers, he may have become arguably the best football player ever (based on # of rings because I think he would have won many). Any thoughts?? Would you rather have Dan than any other qb?? If not, who would you rather have and why??? I would take Dan no matter what.

I think one has to look no farther than john Elway to get the answer to that!! ;)

No one guy can win a ring on his own in football! Dan is the best at his position and that's how you have to look at it! When someone asks who is the best QB you have to compair stats not rings because if that was the case Dilfer would be a better QB than Dan because he won a ring! That also like saying every back ever to win a ring is better because "well they have more rings"! Most none Dolphins fans don't give Dan the credit he deserves just because of the rings! That drives me nuts! :fire:

FiN.in.RI said:
I.E. Dan Marino

I.E. Barry Sanders

JMO
I think Dan in the best for sure, but realistically the best ever label would go to someone like Favre when he retires. He's made bad teams look good as well, he's won a ring, and will probably break alot of Dan's records. Just his durability sets him in the uperr-echlon of all players ever.

darkoak said:
I think Dan in the best for sure, but realistically the best ever label would go to someone like Favre when he retires. He's made bad teams look good as well, he's won a ring, and will probably break alot of Dan's records. Just his durability sets him in the uperr-echlon of all players ever.
Yea, Farve is a force. Favre will be known as a top 3 qb in 10 years.

darkoak said:

Farve is a good example! Most people for get about him with the QB debate!

Favre has had much better talent surrounding him through the years. Favre shouldnt have that most consecutive games record b/c he played when his thumb was jacked up and he cost his team games b/c he was scared of losing his job (favre got his job b/c the former qb went out with an injury). But he is still one of the best but not better than dan.

Dan Marino holds every QB record that really matters. Most career passing yards, most career passing touchdowns, most TD's in a season, most passing yards in a season... you name it. He was just unstoppable.

And Marino also made mediocre Dolphins teams something special, like Favre did. He single handledly carried us to a Super Bowl in 1984, and to the playoffs nearly every year after that until he retired.

A ring is a team achievement.... not an idividual achievement. You hear this arguement over and over, but would Jordan be any less of a player if he didn't have a ring?

Williams34Phins said:
A ring is a team achievement.... not an idividual achievement. You hear this arguement over and over, but would Jordan be any less of a player if he didn't have a ring?

Of course he would still be the best ever to play IMO, but thats why most people say Montana is better and if you ask why they say because he has more rings! I don't get it!

You also forget that he is second in games won. Elway has ONE more game won than him.

Back
Top Bottom