Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis

I have more faith the offense can be a "top unit", while the defense can improve to decent or slightly above average.

Plus, in at least a few games last year, the defense got no help from the offense for entire halves, being on the field almost constantly and having to keep the team in the game on their own for extended periods. My point is a much better offense will only help the defense, let them rest, make adjustments, etc.

Agree here. Considering our offense had the least amount of plays in the entire NFL last season by a long shot, any improvement in that area will certainly help out the defense.

IMO Burke is the wildcard for how the season goes this year. He's an unproven DC with the task of turning around one of the worst defenses in a hurry. If he can work some magic and prove why Gase chose him, we should have a great year. If he struggles at all, it's going to be a frustrating one.

And somthing like 18th in scoring defense, so so about right. Unless giving up yard is worse than points.
So-so defense? They think that defense was so-so finishing 30th against the run and 29th overall? I'd hate to see what an absolutely horrible defense looks like to them...cause last years defense was horrible.

And somthing like 18th in scoring defense, so so about right. Unless giving up yard is worse than points.
That is true. Yardage was being a little underrated last year as it was happening around here. It is important too but as usual ppg should be king. I will accept the 15th ranked scoring defense if the yardage stays in the low 20 ranks

Moving from 30th overall to maybe 23rd overall sounds like realistic improvement. Quality third down, red zone, and goal line defense would makeup for deficiencies between the 20's.

If Timmons, Raekwon and the mermaid dude form the Rams can improve our run D significantly like they should, and if Harris can get after the QB with fresh legs, you're damn right this D will be a top unit. FS and DT are the other areas of concern, but Nate Allen is a solid vet and McDonald was a smart pick up. I also love how we drafted Godchaux to push Phillips, Phillips is inconsistent and needs to play more like Suh, but still an extremely talented DT that could develop e.g Soliai.

If my aunt had nuts, she would be my uncle. This defense still has nothing to compliment Suh and Wake. With Wakes age, and teams inability over the years to get off the field even in 3rd and long, nothing brought in screams vast improvement. But we always have...what if.

If my aunt had nuts, she would be my uncle. This defense still has nothing to compliment Suh and Wake. With Wakes age, and teams inability over the years to get off the field even in 3rd and long, nothing brought in screams vast improvement. But we always have...what if.

You may not be aware, but acquiring Hayes as a base DE in our scheme, is pretty significant compared to having Andre Branch there. I love Andre, think he's a very underrated pass rusher, but he is weak against the run, unlike Hayes. Timmons is also a great football player, not sure if you are aware of this, and I know he is past his prime, but he is replacing what, Paysinger, Jelani and Hewitt. That's significant, I won't even go there with the "what if's" and (bad word) "potential" of Raekwon. We also acquired Charles Harris who also has a ton of (god forbid I use it again) POTENTIAL. Other than Wake and Branch, none of the defensive ends on our roster last year should even be playing in this league (I'm looking at you Fede). Not to mention f****** Baccari Rambo and Michael Thomas. People just remember the Steelers game and how awful our D was at that specific moment in time because it was nationally televised. In reality, the 2017 Dolphins D will make that pathetic Joseph lead D that hobbled into the playoffs look like student athletes. Oh yea, and Maxwell who played great against AB was out in the playoffs last year just to make sure we were going to suck. And btw, most folks think Reshad a top 3 safety in this league, that's a little better than "nothing" to compliment Suh and Wake lol.

Last edited:

You are right Reshad Jones isn't very good, so he shouldn't be mentioned with Wake and Suh. Lawerence Timmons didn't have 100 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2ints, William Hayes isn't a top run defending DE whom had 5 sacks last year, TJ McDonald isn't a very good safety, and we didn't add 5 defenders in the draft.

What more do you want? Fixing the D was obviously the biggest priority of the offseason, and the team spent a lot of resources doing so. They did so the right way mostly using the draft and adding cheaper guys for short term deals. So many of the posters here want to declare the defense the worst in the league before we see how all these new parts look in pads. It's insanity to me.

Top 15 in scoring and time of possession would be huge.

I'd sign up for that any day although I think a more realistic goal would be top 20

I sincerely hope that Burke is smart enough to make some scheme changes. I'm not a fan of the wide 9, although I could see it being used only in obvious passing downs.

On paper, I still think the team is a year away from seriously challenging only because I don't think Miami matches up well with New England. Of course, Pittsburgh can say the same thing and they didn't make any changes on defense either (scheme-wise).

The Dolphins are going to need to add some serious talent to the back end, I believe, to challenge the quickness of the Patriots slot guys. That's where NE eats teams alive. Another pass rusher wouldn't hurt either since Cam Wake is 35.

I think Miami sees the value in having four defensive lineman who can rush the passer, based on getting DT's that can do that late in the draft (over guys who can take on multiple blocker and help the run game first).

It was disheartening to hear that Burke mentioned the scheme will be relatively the same. Love the off-season we had, but need to figure it out schematically

You may not be aware, but acquiring Hayes as a base DE in our scheme, is pretty significant compared to having Andre Branch there. I love Andre, think he's a very underrated pass rusher, but he is weak against the run, unlike Hayes. Timmons is also a great football player, not sure if you are aware of this, and I know he is past his prime, but he is replacing what, Paysinger, Jelani and Hewitt. That's significant, I won't even go there with the "what if's" and (bad word) "potential" of Raekwon. We also acquired Charles Harris who also has a ton of (god forbid I use it again) POTENTIAL. Other than Wake and Branch, none of the defensive ends on our roster last year should even be playing in this league (I'm looking at you Fede). Not to mention f****** Baccari Rambo and Michael Thomas. People just remember the Steelers game and how awful our D was at that specific moment in time because it was nationally televised. In reality, the 2017 Dolphins D will make that pathetic Joseph lead D that hobbled into the playoffs look like student athletes. Oh yea, and Maxwell who played great against AB was out in the playoffs last year just to make sure we were going to suck. And btw, most folks think Reshad a top 3 safety in this league, that's a little better than "nothing" to compliment Suh and Wake lol.

Nice assumptions. But my opinion is based on not just last year, but years of the same ole same ole. Last year's defense and prior years, has seen this teams defense have a complete inability to get of the field. Even in 3rd and long. Nothing like seeing a 3rd and 7+ yards, being completed with a opposing receiver or RB gashing this team. This isn't a Pittsburgh game recollection, it's a football team problem.

Another poster mentioned how can we prior to pads be so down. Well I ask the same question to you people pumping up a defense (2017), prior to putting pad on?

Do I want a stout defense? Damn right. But until I see some proof in the pudding, nothing I've said is crazy.

FYI, I actually think Howard could be a huge surprise this year. Your comment on Jones, he's stout against the run, but has issues on the back end.

I hear people talk about having Hayes to stop the run, Harris to rush the passer, etc. etc.

Here's the thing about having to be specialized on defense and in scheme; it doesn't work to the same affect or hold similar benefits that it does for offense.

3&7, we call for our nickel package so we remove Phillips, slide Hayes inside and trot out Harris while subbing a LB for a slot CB. NE happens to convert then uses the HUNH to keep those defenders on the field while changing formation from an empty set to the I-form with no personnel changes (which is easy for them in their E&P system) and proceeds to run the ball b/w the tackles with success.

Having a number of specialized players needed to run certain defensive packages isn't necessarily a luxury as much as it is a detriment these days. You need defensive players with versatility and a scheme that exhibits flexibility without having to substitute for it.

But hey, gym shorts and the wide 9.

Last edited:
Least amount of plays, horrible 3 and outs, bad at scoring.... a better offense will help the defense.

Actually, a large factor in that is the defense being on the field so long and less opportunities for the offense during the game.

Miami had the 7th-most yards per play in the NFL and the third-fewest 3rd down attempts in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom