Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis

I'm expecting to see some improvement at the very least. They may not make a great leap forward but they can improve on last year. And some more sustained drives by the offense and the defense should certainly climb up a few spot in the rankings.

first ten game defense was not bad intil injury. last yr defense stat was terrible, but I through they played good when games was on line....the defense made stop when need to win some game. the playoff game was bad but I didn't expect win that game.....defense need improved on stopping run but that will not stop us from making playoff. bottom line our 0ffense need score more point. defense need stay injury free this yr as well

Nice assumptions. But my opinion is based on not just last year, but years of the same ole same ole. Last year's defense and prior years, has seen this teams defense have a complete inability to get of the field. Even in 3rd and long. Nothing like seeing a 3rd and 7+ yards, being completed with a opposing receiver or RB gashing this team. This isn't a Pittsburgh game recollection, it's a football team problem.

Another poster mentioned how can we prior to pads be so down. Well I ask the same question to you people pumping up a defense (2017), prior to putting pad on?

Do I want a stout defense? Damn right. But until I see some proof in the pudding, nothing I've said is crazy.

FYI, I actually think Howard could be a huge surprise this year. Your comment on Jones, he's stout against the run, but has issues on the back end.

You never know how the team is going to look until they take the field, but the upgrades in talent are significant. This dline is going to be rotating fresh quality players up front for 60 minutes, not many teams can do that. The back 7 is healthy now and improved as well, how much is anyone's guess, but we have the talent to become a top defensive unit. Burke will be important, but so will health which was such a huge factor last year. Can't predict injuries, but if this D remains healthy and that's a big if, it can be a great unit. Suh won't be in his prime forever, he and Wake are HoF level players imo, even if they don't make it, they should. And with the additions to DE, Wake should be used more sparingly now at his age imo, we finally have depth at the position again (miss you OV). Mario was beyond worthless, he had negative value lol and that's why he doesn't have a job. Don't believe Hayes and Harris will be the same, but you're right that's just an assumption who knows.

Last edited:
I think the bigger improvement will be with depth, and the question you know have is are the other guys this year better than the other guys last year.

And somthing like 18th in scoring defense, so so about right. Unless giving up yard is worse than points.
Giving up yardage is giving up time of possession and limiting the chances for the offense. Give up 4, 8 minute drives and limit the team to 20 points...great, but now the offense only has 24 minutes or so (and yes I know there's 60 minutes in a game) to match or beat that score.

Again, pressure is on the offense to score on every possession because the defense can't get off the field.

I do find it funny that so many people are counting on rookies to be all-pro type players right off the bat and that's why the defense will be better. Unrealistic expectations IMO. Harris, McMillan and I've even seen Godchaux mentioned which is probably the biggest reach so far. DE may have more depth but DT does not, it's worse as it stands right now. Not one of these rookies is better than Earl Mitchell and Mitchell wasn't good. We can only hope Phillips has found some consistency in his game. Depth at linebacker is still a concern. Anyone thinking Kiko Alonso is going to last 16 games is, again, setting unrealistic expectations. Depth at the slot CB position, which wasn't good last year, is still an issue. That's a position that should have been addressed in the draft. There were plenty of good slot CBs in the draft...instead they took a CB who doesn't like to tackle and is more of a boundary CB. I'm sure they view him as Maxwell's eventual replacement, which is good that they have an eye on the future, but what about the now?

Not to mention we have a first time DC at the helm. I'm hoping we're not as bad as last year but I wouldn't be surprised if we were. IMO the only position we've upgraded has been DE and maybe safety when McDonald is back from his 8 game suspension.

Giving up yardage is giving up time of possession and limiting the chances for the offense. Give up 4, 8 minute drives and limit the team to 20 points...great, but now the offense only has 24 minutes or so (and yes I know there's 60 minutes in a game) to match or beat that score.

Again, pressure is on the offense to score on every possession because the defense can't get off the field.

I do find it funny that so many people are counting on rookies to be all-pro type players right off the bat and that's why the defense will be better. Unrealistic expectations IMO. Harris, McMillan and I've even seen Godchaux mentioned which is probably the biggest reach so far. DE may have more depth but DT does not, it's worse as it stands right now. Not one of these rookies is better than Earl Mitchell and Mitchell wasn't good. We can only hope Phillips has found some consistency in his game. Depth at linebacker is still a concern. Anyone thinking Kiko Alonso is going to last 16 games is, again, setting unrealistic expectations. Depth at the slot CB position, which wasn't good last year, is still an issue. That's a position that should have been addressed in the draft. There were plenty of good slot CBs in the draft...instead they took a CB who doesn't like to tackle and is more of a boundary CB. I'm sure they view him as Maxwell's eventual replacement, which is good that they have an eye on the future, but what about the now?

Not to mention we have a first time DC at the helm. I'm hoping we're not as bad as last year but I wouldn't be surprised if we were. IMO the only position we've upgraded has been DE and maybe safety when McDonald is back from his 8 game suspension.

How do you not think our LB corp is upgraded? The AZ game we had 3 undrafted free agents playing. Timmons and McMillian might not be the players you wanted to, but to ignore the upgrade over Jenkins and Paysinger is crazy.

LB is a major upgrade...

Sustaining drives on offense will help out immensely. We obviously went defense heavy in the draft and, at least in paper, the d looks at least solid. It's up to Burke to make something happen

Too many people **** on the Dolphin defense last season based on crap stats. Did you watch the games? Timely turnovers and crucial stops. Tightened up in the red zone. All of that while fielding straight garbage in the back 7. Vance Joseph got so much ****, and the scheme gets so much ****, but based on the talent and depth we had on the defensive side of things, the fact that we were 18th or 19th best scoring defense is a ****ing miracle in my eyes.

Our overall defensive depth is much improved. We can only get better as long as Burke is a solid coach.

Funny I don't see that many people thinking that the rooks will be all pros.

All pros as rookies? Put down the pipe. There's a difference between being better then their replacements (not hard to do) and being an all pro

All pros as rookies? Put down the pipe. There's a difference between being better then their replacements (not hard to do) and being an all pro
I didn't say it he did.

Back
Top Bottom