Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis

Last years defense was statistically bad, but they did make big plays in key spots to win some games.
In years past we dominated and then folded during key plays.
Vance was ok as DC, and I am looking forward to what Burke will bring to the table.
How good is Burkes play calling remains to be seen.

How do you not think our LB corp is upgraded? The AZ game we had 3 undrafted free agents playing. Timmons and McMillian might not be the players you wanted to, but to ignore the upgrade over Jenkins and Paysinger is crazy.

It probably has more to do with the fact that I've seen plenty of players drafted by the Dolphins at the linebacker spot that everyone thought would be great additions and ended up being huge disappointments. Timmons is an upgrade but how much does he have in the tank at 31? Steelers usually don't let linebackers go unless they know they don't have much left. And unlike everyone else I think Kiko Alonso is just meh...he does have a knack for big plays but he also hits like a WR and gets washed out of too many plays cause he doesn't stack and shed very well, and that won't change with the lack of DTs in front of him. It's also highly unlikely all three play all 16+ games this year.

Too many people **** on the Dolphin defense last season based on crap stats. Did you watch the games? Timely turnovers and crucial stops. Tightened up in the red zone. All of that while fielding straight garbage in the back 7. Vance Joseph got so much ****, and the scheme gets so much ****, but based on the talent and depth we had on the defensive side of things, the fact that we were 18th or 19th best scoring defense is a ****ing miracle in my eyes.

Our overall defensive depth is much improved. We can only get better as long as Burke is a solid coach.
The real question is...did you watch the games? If not for the turnovers the defense would have been dead last in every category and we were only 11th in the league in takeaways. It's not like we were tops in the league.

By the way you totally contradict yourself. You try to defend the defense and then say their back 7 was total garbage. Although outside of Suh and Wake I'm not sure what you saw in the front 4 to give them a pass. Jordan was inconsistent and made maybe 2 or 3 big stops a game at the most, Branch never sealed the edge and got run on at will, the depth behind the starting front 4 was garbage...Mario Williams...please, actually outside of Earl Mitchell and Mario Williams I can't even remember anyone behind the starting front 4. That's how bad the depth was and how poor of a job Mike Tannenbaum did putting the roster together. Yes Gase picks the final 53 but he picks from the talent Mike Tannenbaum and Grier get him. If you're picking the best of garbage...you still end up with garbage.

The only way this team is going to take the next step is when we start finding all-star type players in the draft. Since the draft was primarily focused on defense, that's where we need to see it this year. That hasn't happened for a long time. Injuries have derailed our best draft selections. Parker has potential but it is now year 3. Howard played like 7 games. We need guys who can come in and light it up as rookies (or at least become solid starters in year 1). As average as Tannenbaum has been in personnel, he also has a history of drafting star players. We need for either McMillan or Harris to be that guy sooner rather than later and Mike's boy Phillips needs to get there in game 1. They are sure banking on it by not bringing in a proven DT.

I have a certain level of confidence in McM and Harris due to their maturity and work ethic. Those are usually the guys that are successful. Our pass rush must do better than a measly 33 sacks.

Our offense could put up 26 points a game but it won't matter if the defense continues to let teams march up and down the field. ....and BTW, our DB's were better than our front 7 last year.

I'd be happy with top 15. That alone would be a massive help to this team and given what we can expect with the offense and ST it should be enough to put the Fins back in the post season.
I think we can do this. To me, the LB play is critical. I would like to see Timmons play well and I really hope McMillan plays well enough to get some time on the field and make a difference. I like what I have heard about him so far.

first ten game defense was not bad intil injury. last yr defense stat was terrible, but I through they played good when games was on line....the defense made stop when need to win some game. the playoff game was bad but I didn't expect win that game.....defense need improved on stopping run but that will not stop us from making playoff. bottom line our 0ffense need score more point. defense need stay injury free this yr as well

Agreed. They did make some surprisingly good plays in crunch time!

It probably has more to do with the fact that I've seen plenty of players drafted by the Dolphins at the linebacker spot that everyone thought would be great additions and ended up being huge disappointments. Timmons is an upgrade but how much does he have in the tank at 31? Steelers usually don't let linebackers go unless they know they don't have much left. And unlike everyone else I think Kiko Alonso is just meh...he does have a knack for big plays but he also hits like a WR and gets washed out of too many plays cause he doesn't stack and shed very well, and that won't change with the lack of DTs in front of him. It's also highly unlikely all three play all 16+ games this year.

The real question is...did you watch the games? If not for the turnovers the defense would have been dead last in every category and we were only 11th in the league in takeaways. It's not like we were tops in the league.

By the way you totally contradict yourself. You try to defend the defense and then say their back 7 was total garbage. Although outside of Suh and Wake I'm not sure what you saw in the front 4 to give them a pass. Jordan was inconsistent and made maybe 2 or 3 big stops a game at the most, Branch never sealed the edge and got run on at will, the depth behind the starting front 4 was garbage...Mario Williams...please, actually outside of Earl Mitchell and Mario Williams I can't even remember anyone behind the starting front 4. That's how bad the depth was and how poor of a job Mike Tannenbaum did putting the roster together. Yes Gase picks the final 53 but he picks from the talent Mike Tannenbaum and Grier get him. If you're picking the best of garbage...you still end up with garbage.

Yeah, I watched the games. The defense came up with stops more often than not when needed to. And 11th in takeaways is damn good considering the **** we trotted out there.

My whole point was that we were coached and schemed well despite crap players in the back 7 - if the coaching is as good as last year, we should see a dramatic improvement. Not sure what the argument is here.

Yeah, I watched the games. The defense came up with stops more often than not when needed to. And 11th in takeaways is damn good considering the **** we trotted out there.

My whole point was that we were coached and schemed well despite crap players in the back 7 - if the coaching is as good as last year, we should see a dramatic improvement. Not sure what the argument is here.

You're trying to push a false premise to support an invalid argument b/c you'd rather see the glitter than the :poop it is on. Our defense was horrible last year.

Yeah, it wasn't great, but we won 10 games and it wasn't all because of the offense. Defense was well coached. But we can keep going - it's not going to change anything.

Team defense: 18th - 23.8 points a game
Team offense: 17th - 22.7 points a game (all 16 games)

Team averaged 27.3 points per game the last 3 games with its backup QB.

Team defense: 18th - 23.8 points a game
Team offense: 17th - 22.7 points a game (all 16 games)

Team averaged 27.3 points per game the last 3 games with its backup QB.

Quick question: It takes how long on average for an offense to begin to settle into a new system?

Quick question: It takes how long on average for an offense to begin to settle into a new system?
Not sure that could vary greatly. Obviously the offense got better and I hope they start out like it ended.

Not sure that could vary greatly. Obviously the offense got better and I hope they start out like it ended.

It does not vary greatly. The time period is typically 6 weeks minimum and generally up to 8 weeks. Save the ridiculous back up QB praises for the Depths.

What this team really needs to do to take the next step is scoring in the first quarter. The team just has to be more prepared.

What this team really needs to do to take the next step is scoring in the first quarter. The team just has to be more prepared.

Agree. But first quarter offensive success is closely related to an offense's ability to abide by their first 20-30 scripted plays. This process is not applicable or even very reliable to when an offensive is learning and breaking in a new system because it is based on previous success which is not available to them during that time. It is also deterred by the defenses inability to keep the team within the gameplan by getting behind the scoreboard.

Both scenarios applied heavily to our team last year.

Back
Top Bottom