Carroo better pan out.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carroo better pan out....

Didn't realize what we gave up in order to move up and draft him until just now.

What we gave up, other than swapping picks with the Vikings, was our 3rd round pick in 2017 and a 4th round pick in 2017 if it is a compensatory pick, otherwise the Vikings gets our next lowest pick (our normal 4th round selection).

So in 2017 we have:
1st round pick
2nd
Conditional 4th
5th
6th
7th

Now, we were projected (or at least thought of) to get compensatory picks for Vernon (at best a 3rd) and Miller (at best a 4th). It looks like the 3rd will hold for Vernon, but the 4th for Miller will actually be a 5th. Meaning we gave up our 2017 3rd round and 4th round picks for Carroo. That is a lot to give up for sone player, especially when we have so many needs. While comp picks are nice they are still at the end of the round, meaning there could be a lot of players coming off the board (of need) between our pick in the 2nd round and our comp pick in the 3rd, then again until we pick in the 5th. Comp picks can be traded so there is maybe a possibility of movement, but we would have to give up more in order to move those picks.

So now our 2017 draft will be:
1st
2nd
3rd comp
5th
5th comp
6th
7th

Miami didn't give up a 3rd and 4th 2017 pick to swap 3rd round picks. They gave up their 3rd and 4th in 2017 for an additional 3rd in 2016. So they really traded a 3rd in 2017 for a 3rd in 2016 and the 4th round compensatory pick was the cost for making the pick a year early. Miami's two 3rd round picks in 2016 were Drake and Carroo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really hope he does. With all the holes on the defense could have really used those 3rd & 4th round picks in this upcoming draft.

Every single 2017 draft pick should go to defense. I was on the fence about this but I want Albert back for one more year and we should sign the best FA guard that we can get. Build the D thru the draft. Best defensive player available at every pick, we have needs at every position on the defense.

Miami didn't give up a 3rd and 4th 2017 pick to swap 3rd round picks. They gave up their 3rd and 4th in 2017 for an additional 3rd in 2016. So they really traded a 3rd in 2016 for a 3rd in 2017 and the 4th round compensatory pick was the cost for making the pick a year early. Miami's two 3rd round picks in 2016 were Drake and Carroo.

They also gave up their 6th round pick in that draft in addition to the 2017 3rd and 4th/5th comp pick.

They also gave up their 6th round pick in that draft in addition to the 2017 3rd and 4th/5th comp pick.

tumblr_m6ad4mtVeK1rzgx8po1_400.gif

Either way it was a horrible trade by t-dumb. You don't trade a 3 and a 4 for a guy that at best this year could be the 4 WR and next year at best can be the 3 WR. If you have a great team and you're just looking for one player then fine but when you're trying to build your team and have holes everywhere then you don't do that. T-dumb runs the draft as if it's all about him making a splash. It's not about that, it's about building the whole team and plugging holes. So now we only have 7 picks with no multiple picks in any round and with t-dumb we'll probably draft 5 players and use a couple of more picks from 2018....smh

Ozzy rules!!

Why dont we see what the kid can do before we declare it horrible... i dont think the coaching staff knew what they had in stills or is planning on letting stills walk in free agency. If gase wanted him enough to trafe up for him then i trust the move. So what we swapped picking in the 3rd this year for last year and a fourth that most picks dont turn out anyways. Carroo was rated as late 1st/ 2nd rd prospect anyways so we got decent value.

Why dont we see what the kid can do before we declare it horrible... i dont think the coaching staff knew what they had in stills or is planning on letting stills walk in free agency. If gase wanted him enough to trafe up for him then i trust the move. So what we swapped picking in the 3rd this year for last year and a fourth that most picks dont turn out anyways. Carroo was rated as late 1st/ 2nd rd prospect anyways so we got decent value.

So who replaces the skillset of Stills if we let him go? It's certainly not Caroo.

It was a horrible overall draft decision.

The one point I don't see being made yet is that to me, and from what I can gather most analysts, the 2017 draft will be superior to the 2016 draft.

So, we gave up a 3rd and a 4th Conditional in a better draft for a 3rd round guy in a less robust draft. To me, it just seems like quite a premium to spend just to get Caroo here in 2016.

In my draft analysis I mentioned this as something that bugged me.

But I see Caroo as an Anquan Bolden style player, and so far he does appear to be just that. But it will require pinpoint accuracy to make use of those skills because Caroo has neither the length/wingspan/leaping of Parker nor the quickness of Landry, nor the speed of Stills to create separation. That kind of accuracy often depends on having a clean pocket, which is often an issue for the Dolphins.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There's really no way to spin this to make a single 3rd round player worth 3 draft picks. It was bad value regardless of the player. Who ever rated him a 1st/2nd round player was obviously wrong because he ended up in the 3rd round...maybe that person was the same that rated Jonathan Martin a 1st round player...who knows. When you have a team with as many holes as the Dolphins have it makes no sense to trade picks away for a position that isn't even a need.

Not a good move, although I like Carroo and do think he could be a good NFL player, I don't like the trade and I hate the idea of giving away future assets.

Not going to stop till t-dumb is gone

Ozzy rules!!

So who replaces the skillset of Stills if we let him go? It's certainly not Caroo.

I understand the thought process of trading up for Carroo even tho I don't necessarily agree with it. We do have a stout receiving corps but looking into the future Parker is always hurt, Stills is in a contract year, and Landry might demand a lot more than he's worth next year. It's not like we're set there forever and Carroo does have a nice Anquan Boldin type skill set, albeit unproven at this level.
If Stills leaves as I expect he will, we don't really need to replace his skill set per se as Parker is a legit deep threat. Kid has AJ Green skill, just needs to be on the damn field.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the FO ends up trying to compensate the Caroo selection by not paying Landry and justify it by claiming they fit similar molds . . .

anger-inside-out.jpg

Lol you act as if stills is an all pro receiver bringing huge big play ability. There is nothingg stills can do that parker can't. Carroo should be an all around better player than stills once he settles in. He has better hands,crisp route runner (atleast he was in college), big bodied receiver that will go up for the ball and he is a very physical run blocker which we've seen in a few plays this year when he's gotten on the field. In terms of speed to stretch the field, i expect grant to do that eventually when the coaches let him play offense more. In terms of straight line deep threat, grant is way faster than stills. With that said id like stills back but if the price isnt right, i dont believe he's worth keeping just because he has a semi decent ability to stretch the field.

Back
Top Bottom