Chris Clemons- Complete Coverage on Clemons' Coverage | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Clemons- Complete Coverage on Clemons' Coverage

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Clemons' play last season is still somewhat questioned in the eyes of many posters here. I took the time to see exactly what he did, game by game, in coverage, which I believe will make a point on how well he did.

Houston- Was not targeted on any play.

Oakland- One target, 0 complete.

Jets- Gave up 2 complete in 2 targets for 27 yards, 0 YAC. one to Holmes fro 12, and one to Long for 15.

Zona- One complete in 2 targets for 9 yards to Doucet, 0 to Fitz. YAC-2

Cinci- 2 complete in 3 targets for 14 yards. Hawkins 3 yards, Green 11 yards.

Rams- 3 complete in 3 targets for 63 yards. YAC 31 yards. Gave up a 65 yarder to Givens.

Jets- Was not targeted on any play.

Colts- 1 complete in 1 target for 48 yards to Avery.

Titans- 0 complete in 1 target.

Bills- 0 complete in 1 target.

Seattle- 1 complete in 2 targets for 4 yards.

Pats- 1 complete in 5 targets for 31 yards, 17 YAC to Hernandez.

SF- Was not targeted on any play.

Jax- 1 complete in 3 targets for 0 yards.

Bills- 3 complete in 3 targets for 14 yards, 4 YAC.

Pats- 1 complete in 1 target for 8 yards to Woodhead.

Based on the above, fault him where you may. I see him giving up 2 big plays for the year, and Brady going after him 5 times, with one complete, and not going back there again in game #2. I also have to believe that he was not targeted more due to good coverage.

A safety is more than just about coverage, and he played very well in run support.

I rest my case.

OP :clap:

He was actually better in run support than Jones believe it or not. Clemons has always been extremely solid and this FO knows what they have in him.

..........so good, that's why the front office didn't resign him until a week into free agency (when he was still available) for only a 1yr deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
..........so good, that's why the front office didn't resign him until a week into free agency (when he was still available) for only a 1yr deal.
You do realize we had a bevy of potential CBs and safeties we could've signed, and out of names such as ED reed, we chose to resign clemmons to a "show us again" deal.

Great work OP

It's always tough, when doing work like this to be confident on assignment and therefore the appropriate level of success/failure. Did you give consideration to this?

I like Clemons a lot, he's safe... and there in lies the problem that appears to be coming across on this forum. The expectation is that he should be more of a ball hawk with more picks and crushing blows a la the 49's FS [Goldson I believe] from last year. Now is that our expectation or is that the expectation of his DC, Kevin Coyle. Hard to know unless you know for sure what is being asked of him.

In as far as the one year contract, I'm not so sure this is a show me contract versus a... let's wait and see what Kelcie McCray can do fully healthy - word on the streat is that he is viewed quite highly from the coaching staff. So Clemons could be a 'safe' one year stop gap while they groom their playmaker. Why spend more than you have to if you only want someone to caretake the position for a bit.

I'm just surmising with my own thoughts on the matter,

You do realize we had a bevy of potential CBs and safeties we could've signed, and out of names such as ED reed, we chose to resign clemmons to a "show us again" deal.

No way... That can't be.. Clemons sucks

/sarcasm

Clemons is solid no argument there, but I want a guy who makes plays on the ball when the opportunity is there. I'm not asking the guy to be Eric Berry or generate plays on his own like Jones does. I just want him to make the plays there are there at least. I have seen multiple INTs just fall through his hands. Pull a couple of those in and we are not having this conversation.

I do understand the point you are trying to make. However, if you look at this off season's FA, you will find many, many players who did not get what they were worth due to the salary cap.

For me, I do not see what he signed for as having anything whatsoever in how he played last year, which was very well. If ya like, dispute his play, and not the contract. JMO

Great work OP

It's always tough, when doing work like this to be confident on assignment and therefore the appropriate level of success/failure. Did you give consideration to this?

I like Clemons a lot, he's safe... and there in lies the problem that appears to be coming across on this forum. The expectation is that he should be more of a ball hawk with more picks and crushing blows a la the 49's FS [Goldson I believe] from last year. Now is that our expectation or is that the expectation of his DC, Kevin Coyle. Hard to know unless you know for sure what is being asked of him.

In as far as the one year contract, I'm not so sure this is a show me contract versus a... let's wait and see what Kelcie McCray can do fully healthy - word on the streat is that he is viewed quite highly from the coaching staff. So Clemons could be a 'safe' one year stop gap while they groom their playmaker. Why spend more than you have to if you only want someone to caretake the position for a bit.

I'm just surmising with my own thoughts on the matter,

Thanks Pat. I do not know of assignment but, can assess the success based on what I have seen, and researched on Clemons. I'm not putting him in the Pro Bowl. However, he is being graded and ranked vs other safeties, and there are not many who are VG, let alone great.

Take a look, and tell me of 10 who are really good in coverage as well as run support. IMO, there are very few who are play makers, and many are comparing Clemons to the few who are.

For anyone here, name 10 safeties who are? I've looked it up, and they are just not there. Correct me if I am wrong.

some case...he's an average free safety with terrible hips who will never be more than average cause he has zero ball skills and instincts vs the passing game and without them no matter what you do in the end you will always grade out as average...exactly why he got a one year $2 mil offer in free agency...congrats

some case...he's an average free safety with terrible hips who will never be more than average cause he has zero ball skills and instincts vs the passing game and without them no matter what you do in the end you will always grade out as average...exactly why he got a one year $2 mil offer in free agency...congrats

And you would have replaced him with who? And you can name 10 safeties much better by name?

Hate to pick on ya Hoops but, you make it so easy.

And you would have replaced him with who? And you can name 10 safeties much better by name?

Hate to pick on ya Hoops but, you make it so easy.

i make it easy cause i don't buy bunk...miamis buying time at free safety...i don't blame em...but like crowder and some of these others before it won't be long before they decide they want more playmaking and game changing play at free safety...the guy doesn't make plays on the ball doesn't create turnovers...ball skills are not good for a free safety...is what it is...i'm glad he's back but this is no stud free safety either...plays the ball well when it's in front of him...late on stuff at times too cause the instincts and feel just aren't very good...

Clemons is fine.... Thats his issue hes ok, not good. Playing beside Jones he looks good. He plays mistake free football but is that enough in this new passing game?

He signed a very low one year deal, cant help but think we could have signed him long term for a reasonable price if we had wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom