Chris Clemons- Complete Coverage on Clemons' Coverage | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Clemons- Complete Coverage on Clemons' Coverage

Agree but, is that not what some posters are pointing to? A guy plays very well in coverage and run support but, does not have the INT's everyone would like.

But the only defence you are using are raw stats

Agree but, is that not what some posters are pointing to? A guy plays very well in coverage and run support but, does not have the INT's everyone would like.

He has 3 interceptions in a 4 year career, and 2 of them are from the worst QB in the league. He's pretty good Safety, doesn't make a ton of mistakes, but never makes the big play. And when he does make a mistake it's usually a big one.

He takes terrible routes to the runners on multiple occasions, his speed allows him to get away with more mistakes than most players.

If you go back and look at the highlight of the mike goodson screen against the raiders, that he took to the house about 70 or so yards, it could've been just a 15 yard gain if Chris Clemons didn't take the worst route I've ever seen to a runner.

He's not going to destroy our defense, but he can certainly be upgraded.

But the only defence you are using are raw stats

The NFL, ranking Clemons at #5, are raw stats. PFF is the eyeball test on top of the stats. Both may be wrong, to a degree, However, it is no coincidence that the best players in the NFL are ranked as such by both.

He has 3 interceptions in a 4 year career, and 2 of them are from the worst QB in the league. He's pretty good Safety, doesn't make a ton of mistakes, but never makes the big play. And when he does make a mistake it's usually a big one.

He takes terrible routes to the runners on multiple occasions, his speed allows him to get away with more mistakes than most players.

If you go back and look at the highlight of the mike goodson screen against the raiders, that he took to the house about 70 or so yards, it could've been just a 15 yard gain if Chris Clemons didn't take the worst route I've ever seen to a runner.

He's not going to destroy our defense, but he can certainly be upgraded.

Good point on the Goodson/Raiders play, where he left Misi in his dust but, Clemons should have been able to make that play for 15 yards, as you say.

Thing is, IMO, that was one play and there were 5-6 more where Clemons missed on what he could have done. Few look at the other 60 plays, over 1,000 for the year, and what was done by him. The other plays did matter.

Good point on the Goodson/Raiders play, where he left Misi in his dust but, Clemons should have been able to make that play for 15 yards, as you say.

Thing is, IMO, that was one play and there were 5-6 more where Clemons missed on what he could have done. Few look at the other 60 plays, over 1,000 for the year, and what was done by him. The other plays did matter.

Like I said, he's not going to make enough mistakes to completely bash him, but he doesn't make enough plays to make up for it. He uses his speed to cover up his inability to really read and bait QB's, he waits and reacts and uses his speed to limit his mistsakes.

And while he's certainly solid, he'll always be replaceable.

Like I said, he's not going to make enough mistakes to completely bash him, but he doesn't make enough plays to make up for it. He uses his speed to cover up his inability to really read and bait QB's, he waits and reacts and uses his speed to limit his mistsakes.

And while he's certainly solid, he'll always be replaceable.

Save a few, I do not know of many players on our team who have proven to not be replaceable.

Save a few, I do not know of many players on our team who have proven to not be replaceable.

I personally don't mind bringing him back cheap, we got a good contract out of him and he's not just a waste of space. I just think signing him to a 1 year deal is telling him to show us you're the safety we're looking for. If he doesn't, he's not coming back.

I personally don't mind bringing him back cheap, we got a good contract out of him and he's not just a waste of space. I just think signing him to a 1 year deal is telling him to show us you're the safety we're looking for. If he doesn't, he's not coming back.

How would you compare his play vs Jones (who everyone loves)? They are very similar.

How would you compare his play vs Jones (who everyone loves)? They are very similar.

Jones actually makes a play on the ball. If Clemons made a play on the ball like Jones does I don't think there would be very much complaining about him. Jones also seems to always come through in the clutch, he had 2 INTs when the Bengals and the Bills were driving to win the game.

Jones takes much better routes to the runner, and has fluid hips and while he and Chris are always around the ball, Jones comes down with it and makes a play on it.

CC is a solid contributor. Every defense is going to have players like that...the fact that Jones was the only playmaker in the secondary just made his lack of playmaking skills even more evident. If Jones and Grimes both come out and take the ball away then you won't heard as much griping about him being back there. However he is definitely an upgradable player. Still wishing we had ole Earl Thomas back there with Jones haha

CC is a solid contributor. Every defense is going to have players like that...the fact that Jones was the only playmaker in the secondary just made his lack of playmaking skills even more evident. If Jones and Grimes both come out and take the ball away then you won't heard as much griping about him being back there. However he is definitely an upgradable player. Still wishing we had ole Earl Thomas back there with Jones haha

very true...and good point...if these corners were more playmakers on the ball then it wouldn't be as big a deal...but if not then free safety needs to be a playmaker on the ball...not just ints but passes broken up or driving on the ball and you know arriving when the ball arrives on stuff down the seam etc...all that 4.4 speed is great but it's nullified when a guy doesn't have instincts...i'd much rather have instincts and 4.6 then 4.4 and none

Do you see any potential for development in Clemons Hoops? Or is he maxed out?

Do you see any potential for development in Clemons Hoops? Or is he maxed out?

you can't develop ball skills and instincts vs the pass...he doesn't have the same upside as a reshad jones cause jones is a much more instinctual player vs the pass...he has a feel for it...jones will still take some bad angles in run support and that's the one short coming i see in his game but chris clemons hips and his instincts vs the pass are what they are...i doubt there's much meat on the bone...

and i know people don't want to hear about that contract but it keeps saying to me the league sees it the same way...you're not signing a ready to make the leap player...

it is what it is

I am somewhat confused. Aside from hips, Clemons had more tackles, and missed fewer tackles that Jones, To be fair, Jones had 4 picks to 2, had 4 tackles for loss to 3, and forced 2 fumbles to 0.

So, do 5 plays make Jones a must sign to Clemons being very replaceable? I guess I am missing something, other than the hips.

Back
Top Bottom