CK's Mock Draft 3/27/09 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CK's Mock Draft 3/27/09

CK, you are not alone with this pick. Following is an excerpt from my mock draft in mid February. A lot has changed since then (resigning Carey, signing Grove and Wilson) thus changing my mock drastically. The one pick that lives on is Michael Johnson at 25. I do spend some time on this board but I would not consider myself a CK Kool-aid drinker. Unless, of course, the Dolphins do select Johnson in the first round.

Draft projections are still young so please take with a grain of salt. I put this list together for myself and figured since I put in the time I would share with the group. Enjoy and comment...

1 (25) Michael Johnson DE/OLB, Georgia Tech Height: 6-7 Weight: 260
Drink all the Hatorade you want, Johnson has menacing size and endless potential. Although currently considered a high second round selection, his combine performance is sure to move him back into the first round. Parcells has a fondness for pass rushing OLB's and is said to be on the hunt for the next DeMarcus Ware. Cameron Wake was a fine addition but Michael Johnson will not be passed up.

Not that it means much, but I believe there are only two players that are not on the block, and one of them is Cassel. IIRC that was the quote.

Also, it states that he could be on the block. One thing the offseason should say to everyone is that a new regime wants its own players. Jason Taylor found that out, as did Jay Cutler. Cutler should not be in this position, but he is. Why? Because someone new came in and has no loyalty. Each coach and GM want to win with their guys, not the guy's before them.

You may have your beefs with CK, but using that as defacto evidence is a bit of a reach. Your stuff outside of this dispute has its own life I'm sure. But, I don't know if that can be used as empirical evidence. I've seen quotes saying that Hali will at OLB and Dorsey on the nose, so apparently it goes both ways. The quote was from the Chiefs DC I think. I'll see if I can find the link.

SR 7 what is it about Jenkins that prevents him from being a corner? Is that regardless of the scheme played? No matter what scheme he is in he won't be a corner?

Is it his speed? I am curious, I'd like to debate this.

I do not think Jenkins is a great corner in man to man, but in a zone I think he will do very well. Will he go to pro bowls? Maybe not. Does it matter? No.

Is a player you aren't sure if he can excel as a CB worth a top 10 pick? let alone what scheme considering man to man isnt in his favor already showing how he is limited?

What about u pick him as a S is he that good of a S to go top 10 ala the landry, taylors, etc of the past?

Arz has a good FS in its backfield now but he was picked up as a CB in the top 10 i believe it was and he stunk it up so they moved him to FS where he did just fine but worth a top 10 pick?

I havent' seen a S come out in quite some time now thats wroth a top 10 pick, played like one while in the NFL, or makes that much of a diff to be worthy of a top 10 pick.

Here SR 7. Here is the link that shows what I said about Dorsey being asked to play the nose.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...y/1106883.html

“Last year he wasn’t real productive but I think he’s got a lot of great versatility, especially where we are transitioning potentially to this 3-4,” Haley said of Dorsey. “I think there are some roles in there for him where he could have more of an attacking role.”

top 3-5 pick that did almost ntn for a team difference wise.
he was good in college but he was no where near the player ppl assumed he would be in the NFL jsut b/c of hype they jumped on the bandwagon.

versatility meaning he can play LE, RE, DT, esp on 3rd downs when u konw its a passing play. but NT in a 1st and 2nd down position or 3rd and short i doubt it. Why explore trading him if you konw hes a 3-4 NT considering how RARE they are? does that make any sense?

and the NT role is not to attack where as it states "some roles for him where he can have more of an attacking role" clearly they dono where on earth the man is going to fit in thats why during camp before the draft is what will reveal whether he will or not have a role. Read btw the lines no where does it say he is, will be, they are confident, or know he can man teh NT spot.

Nice mock CK.

Guys, never let another man on a message board get you upset. This s**t is not that serious. How can a man you don't know be condescending to you? Relax, you are giving CK too much power by showing finheaven that you even care that much.

BTW, I like the MJ pick, I'm sure with proper diet and an NFL workout regime he can play consistently, I don't believe he's soft or coward at all.

Go Fins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a player you aren't sure if he can excel as a CB worth a top 10 pick? let alone what scheme considering man to man isnt in his favor already showing how he is limited?

What about u pick him as a S is he that good of a S to go top 10 ala the landry, taylors, etc of the past?

Arz has a good FS in its backfield now but he was picked up as a CB in the top 10 i believe it was and he stunk it up so they moved him to FS where he did just fine but worth a top 10 pick?

I havent' seen a S come out in quite some time now thats wroth a top 10 pick, played like one while in the NFL, or makes that much of a diff to be worthy of a top 10 pick.

I don't have Jenkins going top 10 to anyone. I don't know where you have gotten that from with regards to me. I have him going at 25 to us, due to the fact that this regime has had bigger #2 corners in both Marcus Coleman and Anthony Henry, both of whom could have been considered more of a safety type player. Jenkins is quicker than he is fast, I've said that. He is a smooth player, but he does not explode or do anything that just jumps "wow". But he can track the ball well enough, and would work best when can give a bit of cushion and play more so coming forward. We played a great deal of cover 3 last year, and he may fit better there than in a man to man scheme. His lack of man to man coverage ability, based on him covering downfield one on one could see him fall a bit.

I don't consider him to be a top 10 player nor have I ever had him that high.

“Last year he wasn’t real productive but I think he’s got a lot of great versatility, especially where we are transitioning potentially to this 3-4,” Haley said of Dorsey. “I think there are some roles in there for him where he could have more of an attacking role.”

top 3-5 pick that did almost ntn for a team difference wise.
he was good in college but he was no where near the player ppl assumed he would be in the NFL jsut b/c of hype they jumped on the bandwagon.

versatility meaning he can play LE, RE, DT, esp on 3rd downs when u konw its a passing play. but NT in a 1st and 2nd down position or 3rd and short i doubt it. Why explore trading him if you konw hes a 3-4 NT considering how RARE they are? does that make any sense?

and the NT role is not to attack where as it states "some roles for him where he can have more of an attacking role" clearly they dono where on earth the man is going to fit in thats why during camp before the draft is what will reveal whether he will or not have a role. Read btw the lines no where does it say he is, will be, they are confident, or know he can man teh NT spot.

No, all I was doing is saying that they want to know what he can do. Not that as you said "has no chance to play there" (rough paraphrase). That's all. They are giving the chance first, not writing him off quickly.

I don't want to turn this into a skin color debate but honestly, when was the last time you ever heard a white player (non-QB) deemed an "underachiever"? I don't think this is the reason but it probably factors into it on some minor subconscious level.

I find it interesting that you think Barwin is faster. Again, here's evidence of the double standard. At his Pro Day, some stopwatches had Johnson as low as 4.49. At the Cincinnati Pro Day, some stopwatches had Barwin as low a 4.48. Essentially about the same.

Not that it matters much, since Johnson is 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier. The increased frame outweighs the minor differences in their athletic measurements.

As for production, Johnson was very productive this season. Anyone that tries to tell you different, just doesn't know the facts.

Seems to me there's been plenty of crap in the NFL...and the color doesn't matter....crap is crap!

When you find someone that recorded Johnson running a 4.49....please post it.

This is from Gil Brant;

"Johnson measured in at 6-foot-6 7/8 and 266 pounds, and he had 40-yard dash times of 4.61 and 4.64 seconds. He did 23 repetitions on the bench press at 225 pounds, and he turned in a time of 7.42 seconds in the three-cone drill. He did not participate in the vertical jump or the 20- or 60-yard shuttle. - Gil Brant, NFL.com"

LOL....This is from a beat writer from the Georgia Tech area...;

"Johnson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, with one team — the Detroit Lions — clocking him at 4.49. That was substantially faster than the 4.66 he ran at the NFL scouting combine in February."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2009/03/09/tech_johnson_pro_day.html

The only team that had him run a 4.49...were the Lions.

Even if he was running down hill on a fast surface...He couldn't shave off two tenths off his combine numbers.

You know what it takes to go from a 4.68 to a 4.49...Geez.

And I agree with Boomer...he also takes the prodays times with a grain of salt...unless of course they are close enough to what the player ran at the combine.

I don't have Jenkins going top 10 to anyone. I don't know where you have gotten that from with regards to me. I have him going at 25 to us, due to the fact that this regime has had bigger #2 corners in both Marcus Coleman and Anthony Henry, both of whom could have been considered more of a safety type player. Jenkins is quicker than he is fast, I've said that. He is a smooth player, but he does not explode or do anything that just jumps "wow". But he can track the ball well enough, and would work best when can give a bit of cushion and play more so coming forward. We played a great deal of cover 3 last year, and he may fit better there than in a man to man scheme. His lack of man to man coverage ability, based on him covering downfield one on one could see him fall a bit.

I don't consider him to be a top 10 player nor have I ever had him that high.

oh i wasn't aware u saw him as a 20s guy. In that case, I agree with you.:up:

Hey....has everybody forgotten about Clint Sintim? Is he DEFINATELY out of the 1st round? He could be a nice option for us @ 25...

Hey....has everybody forgotten about Clint Sintim? Is he DEFINATELY out of the 1st round? He could be a nice option for us @ 25...

sintim has nothing special whatsoever... there's plenty of guys like him available in round 2, picks between 20 and 35 should either be picks used on guys with great potential who slipped through the cracks because of 1 or 2 concerns, or they should be picks used on players who are at the top of their class (a center for example, the position is rarely picked in the top 20 so you can usually get very good value between 20 and 35) .

Phil merling is a good example of the first reason i mentionned. Michael johnson, much like CK said, is a high ceiling guy with extraordinary measurables (something this staff looks up to a lot when it comes to its defensive front) but has small concerns that scares off some teams.

Yeah, i was reading through this to see if his name popped and there it is, 2 posts before this one.

I recall a lot of people calling him with our pick a few months ago and now he is a 2nd round pick.

Could MJ be the pick when there were rumors that BP would even trade up for his guy? With no one else having MJ in the 1st round, could MJ be a guy to trade up for? Well, what probably isnt true is BP letting it out that he is willing to trade up for a guy.

sintim has nothing special whatsoever

You mean aside from being the only OLB prospect for a 3-4 defense to have played the SOLB role in college for 4 years?

Every other player conversion has not been at the same spot they will asked to play in the pros aside from Sintim. The problem is that he is a 2 down player in many ways as he cannot change directions well, and maybe a liability in man to man coverage.

http://universaldraft.com/Clint_Sintim.html

Back
Top Bottom