Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all

Yes it is, no doubt about it. Only 15% of the QBs drafted in the top 10 overall since 2004 have become elite. Only 11% (1 of 9) of the QBs picked #1 overall since 2004 have done so, and that's only if one considers Cam Newton elite.

The rest of those picks have played at the Tannehill/Stafford level or worse.

Now consider the likelihood of contending for a Super Bowl with a well below-average QB, which you may just obtain if you jettison someone like Tannehill or Stafford. It's virtually nil.

You have to stick with the Tannehill-level QB and build around him.

That's fine and agreeable, IMO, but now you also have to consider a potential plan B. I am of the belief that once you have surgery on your ACL you are more susceptible to re-injuring it. I am happy to be proven wrong, but that's was always my thought, and why drafting a qb to have in the wings makes sense.

I may have been a little harsh on RT lately. I went back and watched a few games in that stretch last year and he was killing it with dimes all over the field, refilled myself with a glimmer of hope he can come back and be right where he left off.

I guess part of me is still Salty all these young talented qbs get drafted and Miami is still stuck with a maybe.

Mahommes, Watson, Kizer all have star potential. Wish Miami would have a young guy like that.

That's fine and agreeable, IMO, but now you also have to consider a potential plan B. I am of the belief that once you have surgery on your ACL you are more susceptible to re-injuring it. I am happy to be proven wrong, but that's was always my thought, and why drafting a qb to have in the wings makes sense.

The round where it starts to make sense to draft a QB for the purpose you're talking about is the fourth, where Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins have been taken in recent years, making the fourth round just as likely as the first to be productive in this regard, ironically.

Also consider that fourth-round picks at any position on the field are highly unlikely to become long-term starters in the league, which makes a potential "waste" pick at QB not all that costly.

I may have been a little harsh on RT lately. I went back and watched a few games in that stretch last year and he was killing it with dimes all over the field, refilled myself with a glimmer of hope he can come back and be right where he left off.

Nice.

I guess part of me is still Salty all these young talented qbs get drafted and Miami is still stuck with a maybe.

Mahommes, Watson, Kizer all have star potential. Wish Miami would have a young guy like that.

I understand this, but they all also have bust potential.

The round where it starts to make sense to draft a QB for the purpose you're talking about is the fourth, where Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins have been taken in recent years, making the fourth round just as likely as the first to be productive in this regard, ironically.

Also consider that fourth-round picks at any position on the field are highly unlikely to become long-term starters in the league, which makes a potential "waste" pick at QB not all that costly.

No problem with this line of thinking.

You can't not add a young qb to this team and the reasoning behind it is "bust potential" add young, let them compete and the best man win. RT is going to be 30 next summer. He's not young anymore and may never be the same player.

As I have shown in another post, the vast majority of the teams in the league fail to add a young QB in a given year. Many (most) of those have QBs that are not as good as Tannehill. Ultimately, the club will need to weigh the risk/reward of any draft pick. You cannot add a Watson or Kizer without also not adding Harris or McMIllon. IMO, the QB position has the added downside of "you only play one of them". A team with Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers would not be as good as a team with Tom Brady and Von Miller. In addition, if you have an established QB that you are happy with, you are unlikely to find out that the QB on your bench IS Aaron Rodgers.

Backup QBs don't get the same reps in practice, they don't rotate onto the field in games, they just aren't as useful as other players unless your starter gets hurt. IMO, you cannot draft scared.

I'm fine with a 4th round qb. At least make it one that's played in a pro style offense though.

Tannys gonna have a stigma attached with that knee until he's 2 years cleared from it. As in 2 years clean bill of health in that knee and play. Before that he's gonna be a qb coming off a major knee injury after that he will just be called a qb like Brady and flacco were. Miamis got a year to year out here with tanny so the leverage is all in miamis court.

as for stafford lions have no choice. He's been labeled up til last year a qb that made the mistake in the clutch I think he broke away from that some in 2016. Something Jamius Winston needs to do hopefully though if he does it comes after we play them week 1. We could use a qb gift or two

Tannehill Supporters: Look at the great stretch of games by Tannehill. Very efficient and a 7-1 record!!!!

Tannehill Detractors: Look at the great running game and defensive performances that carried Tannehill.

Tannehill Supporters: Ignore that 7 wins when Tannehill started and finished were against the bottom of the barrel teams in the NFL. The ONLY two teams Tannehill led Miami to wins that weren't bottom 7, Ajayi rushed for over 200 yards.

Worst in NFL (Based on record/SOS):
1. Cleveland
2. SF
5. LA Rams
6. NYJ
7. SD
10. Buffalo (Ajayi 214 yards, 1 TD)
30. Pit (Ajayi = 204 yards, 2 TD)

Tannehill QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 113 of 164, 1242 yards, 3 TD 7 INT = 79.37% (His best stats occurred after Miami was down 31-3 in week two against NE).

Miami didn't beat a single losing team by more than 7 points under Tannehill and needed OT to beat the Browns.

Tannehill Supporters: Ignore that 7 wins when Tannehill started and finished were against the bottom of the barrel teams in the NFL. The ONLY two teams Tannehill led Miami to wins that weren't bottom 7, Ajayi rushed for over 200 yards.

Worst in NFL (Based on record/SOS):
1. Cleveland
2. SF
5. LA Rams
6. NYJ
7. SD
10. Buffalo (Ajayi 214 yards, 1 TD)
30. Pit (Ajayi = 204 yards, 2 TD)

Tannehill QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 113 of 164, 1242 yards, 3 TD 7 INT = 79.37% (His best stats occurred after Miami was down 31-3 in week two against NE).

Miami didn't beat a single losing team by more than 7 points under Tannehill and needed OT to beat the Browns.

The agenda continues......

Now that Tannehill had led the team to the playoffs, he's not winning against the RIGHT teams...... LOL

Some folks need to get out their pens and stationary before the pressure from unrelenting righteous conviction causes heads to explode.

finheaven letter to gase about Tannehill.jpg

Looking on the bright side the fins are in a pretty good place at QB. Cutler should at least be a good stop gap solution for a season. If he plays great, which I think is possible, he may give Tannahill some competition when he comes back. Not a bad scenario.

Looking on the bright side the fins are in a pretty good place at QB. Cutler should at least be a good stop gap solution for a season. If he plays great, which I think is possible, he may give Tannahill some competition when he comes back. Not a bad scenario.

Lmao @ this user name.

The agenda continues......

Now that Tannehill had led the team to the playoffs, he's not winning against the RIGHT teams...... LOL

Yeah I don't buy the "look who player X beat or played well against" argument. It's hard to win in the NFL especially against divisional opponents.

And the game against Seattle? Smdh. So we lose 6 games. One of which we should have won against Seattle and 2 of which were lost to the future SB champions.

So we're suppose to just act like theirs right teams to beat and right teams to lose to when they all count the same?

Back
Top Bottom