Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread

Truth is, many have thrown out those 5 games for Ryan and just look at the next 8.5 like those 5 never existed. The QB wasn't very good and neither was the offense around him (sounds familiar).

And Gase absolutely limited Ryan those first 5 games with similar reasoning to how he has handled the offense under Cutler this year through five games. He didn't trust the offensive line and they still were getting the system down.

Just how Gase is doing what he can to put Cutler in good spots, he was doing the same for Ryan last year.

The difference is starting with that Pittsburgh game you saw Tannehill's confidence grow and he start moving his legs in the pocket buying time and making plays, combined with his toughness he clearly made a jump at the position and became a star for this offense once Ajayi got going.

Jay Cutler already has that ability to manuever in the pocket through 5 games this year. Where he has struggled the most is accuracy and ball placement. We saw it on the INT to Carroo. That has gotta get better and Gase knows the only way that improves is with time. No he doesn't seem willing to take the hard shots that Ryan will so we aren't likely to see a throw to Kenny that we saw in the San Diego game from Ryan . . . But if he can just place the ball better we can continue to win games in a wide open NFL.
I recall a lot of posters hanging their hat on the first five games,and never mention the 8 1/2 games.
And Gase wasn't limiting play calls because of tannehill, it was because of the rest of the team not knowing their assignments. Gase said this himself.

I recall a lot of posters hanging their hat on the first five games,and never mention the 8 1/2 games.
And Gase wasn't limiting play calls because of tannehill, it was because of the rest of the team not knowing their assignments. Gase said this himself.

And Gase never said he was limiting play calls because of Cutler but because of execution of the offense in general.

Either way both quarterbacks had less than stellar starts under Gase through 5 games. Lets hope the light flicks on starting next week against the Jets like it did for Ryan in game 6.

Four of those INT's were from him being hit while throwing.

You mean plays where Cutler has eluded the rush for a boring incompletion?

The lack of sacks this year has everything to do with the QB. Now he is behind Ryan in a lot of ways but the way he improvises the pocket gives me a lot of hope if he can get his accuracy going.

Four of those INT's were from him being hit while throwing.

Plus he was playing from behind quite a few times as well, which will always help your int totals. That first loss to NE tannehill was balling, so it was not all piss poor early on as has been the case with Cutler. If he had this defense last year they would have been at least 12-4 if not better.

Tanny had 7 INTs and 2 lost fumbles through 5 games last year. Please tell me more about the consistency.

that was while he was acclimating/learning Gase's system - the 3rd or 4th since he's been here.

Once it kicked in, how did he do over his last 8 games again in terms of wins and top8 level stats again?

And Gase never said he was limiting play calls because of Cutler but because of execution of the offense in general.

Either way both quarterbacks had less than stellar starts under Gase through 5 games. Lets hope the light flicks on starting next week against the Jets like it did for Ryan in game 6.
I agree with the first part, but the second part I disagree a little bit. It was Tannehill's first year with a new coach and system, and this is Cutler second year in the same system. My take on it is Tannehill struggled because of those around him, and cutler is struggling mostly because of him. But I am not discounting the play of the offense of line.

tannehill carried one of the top grades on the team the first 5 weeks last season...gase even said as much...cutler has yet to carry a top 5 grade in a game period...

I don't see how we can live in short set 3 step drops all season unless the run game is ripping the opposition keeping the sticks manageable...if they aren't hes gonna have to take some deep drops and work thru progressions and not bail at the first sign of color...he hasn't been wiling to yet.

oline play has been much more consistent thru 5 games this year than last...the qbs left tds on the field at a alarming clip execution wise...I know of at least 5

I agree with the first part, but the second part I disagree a little bit. It was Tannehill's first year with a new coach and system, and this is Cutler second year in the same system. My take on it is Tannehill struggled because of those around him, and cutler is struggling mostly because of him. But I am not discounting the play of the offense of line.

I mean he was in the system in 2015, fresh out of retirement and thrown in there with completely new personnel in August. Ryan had been with his main offensive skill players for a whole season and two full offseasons.

Ryan absolutely struggled early last year lol, if you want to blame it all on his offense and not give him any accountability that is on you. Certainly Jay's accuracy has let him down . . . But like I have said, the way he moves the pocket, he has saved us tons of lost yardage. Many 3rd and 5's and much less 3rd and 12's.

Now it doesn't mean anything if he can't put the ball on target on those third downs, but I am done contemplating "what if Ryan was here", truth is I wanna see Jay make strides as he is 2017 and we only go as far as his potential can take us.

Kdawg, you know I have been up front saying it's not all on Cutler and that he has valid excuses for a bunch of things...

... but I will say that even in the games where the OL has struggled, I have yet to see ANYTHING like what we witnessed in that back to back debacle of Thursday night vs the Bengals and then the Titans. The two game stretch that got three players CUT OUTRIGHT because they were so bad, the offense simply couldn't function. If Cutler had been standing back there behind that crew, he'd be on IR right now.

it has nothing to do with the system or time in it...the qb execution has to be better...hes leaving plays on the field from an execution aspect that have to be made to score points...

short set drops only work if you maintain the sticks...too many balls tipped at the los where guys were open and still to many bailing out throws that gain first downs if he just is willing to take contact.

but the answer isn't matt moore...moore limits how much you can put on the qb coverage read wise...a lot of those 3 wr sets we showed etc require the qb to make correct pre to post snap reads...cutler did well with that yesterday. probably the best thing he did...he cant throw that pick though to the lb level off that pa that's the one guy he must account for post snap got bailed out by a roughing and he cant miss that easy td to caroo if he just leads him on the throw he walks in...that's terrible execution

Got to give Cutler credit for a decent game against quality opponent. Finally!

I mean he was in the system in 2015, fresh out of retirement and thrown in there with completely new personnel in August. Ryan had been with his main offensive skill players for a whole season and two full offseasons.

Ryan absolutely struggled early last year lol, if you want to blame it all on his offense and not give him any accountability that is on you. Certainly Jay's accuracy has let him down . . . But like I have said, the way he moves the pocket, he has saved us tons of lost yardage. Many 3rd and 5's and much less 3rd and 12's.

Now it doesn't mean anything if he can't put the ball on target on those third downs, but I am done contemplating "what if Ryan was here", truth is I wanna see Jay make strides as he is 2017 and we only go as far as his potential can take us.
Jay was retired for two months, and it was the off-season. Of course she struggled a little bit it was a new system.
I never blamed it all on him, majority of it was on the rest of the offense.
Jay certainly moves the pocket even when not needed, and I don't recall Tannehill ever have accuracy issues like this bum.

Back
Top Bottom