Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread

Receivers have to do a better job of helping out the qb w/ the drops, that is if they want to win more games. Landry has defended Cutler, Gase hasn't thrown in towel on Cutler, it all points to faults around the entire offense. Yes Cutler's passes are usually off the mark curtailing RAC but it's week 6, time to start making more plays. We've seen Parker, Stills, Landry, Ajayi catch balls that weren't on the money w/ Tannehill, time to start bailing out the qb on a consistent basis.
They dropped a lot of passes for Tannehill and Moore, too.

I'm just being consistent here. I'm not going to defend our "elite" WR corps that drops the damn football.

My read is that Tannehill and Cutler have different strengths and weaknesses. I think Tannehill is a lot more accurate passer but Cutler has better pocket presence. Let's see how Cutler progresses but I don't like these throws off his back foot. Sometimes he gets away with it but looks sloppy and sometimes comes unstuck. I still think Tannehill has the bigger upside. Don't be surprised if he learns from this stint on the sidelines and comes back tougher and hungrier.
Other big difference is that Tannehill will never say the wrong thing in the press conferences. Ryan is a helluva lot more likable.

I expect pro caliber athletes to make the catches that are being dropped. I also expect a pro caliber qb to make better throws, especially when given time. Cutler makes what should be easy throw and catches (and YAC) challenging. Both efforts are unacceptable.

It appears to me that he simply wont stand in and deliver the ball. I'm in Denver and I recall watching him regularly when he was here...I dont recall him throwing everything from his back foot or without setting his feet. Or maybe he simply had the arm strength to get away with it a decade ago.

Receivers need to up their game. Thomas needs to retire and we need to get a stud TE in the draft...

They dropped a lot of passes for Tannehill and Moore, too.

I'm just being consistent here. I'm not going to defend our "elite" WR corps that drops the damn football.
I think a lot the drops w/ Tannehill were due to Tannehill's zip on the ball. With Cutler it's the total opposite, especially on timing routes, it's a big transition for these guys. Stills and Landry usually have good hands, Landry gets a lot more passes his way so obviously his drops will be higher. Parker is still inconsistent.

My read is that Tannehill and Cutler have different strengths and weaknesses. I think Tannehill is a lot more accurate passer but Cutler has better pocket presence. Let's see how Cutler progresses but I don't like these throws off his back foot. Sometimes he gets away with it but looks sloppy and sometimes comes unstuck. I still think Tannehill has the bigger upside. Don't be surprised if he learns from this stint on the sidelines and comes back tougher and hungrier.
Other big difference is that Tannehill will never say the wrong thing in the press conferences. Ryan is a helluva lot more likable.

I think a lot of people are mistaking Cutler bailing when an odd colour Jersey gets within 8 feet of him, as "good pocket presence".

Looks like a guy playing scared to me. It's not like he's a avoiding the rush, setting his feet and dropping dimes. He's bailing and throwing off his back foot to avoid contact.

that was while he was acclimating/learning Gase's system - the 3rd or 4th since he's been here.

Once it kicked in, how did he do over his last 8 games again in terms of wins and top8 level stats again?

And Tanny was also in his prime and had been on the team for several years as a starter. Cutler was retired a couple months ago.

I don't understand why we would compare Tannys last 8 games to Cutler's first 5.

Four of those INT's were from him being hit while throwing.

We could go back and make any QBs stats look better with context. The general idea when using stats is that those kind of things tend to equal out over time.

We've yet to see the very best out of RT.

I suspect the next time he sets foot on a field we will see a certain fire and energy out of him we've never seen before.

Everything happens for a reason....

so ****ing sad. You can bet next year will have 5 teams on our schedule that resemble the 85 Bears, our dumb luck

We've yet to see the very best out of RT.

I suspect the next time he sets foot on a field we will see a certain fire and energy out of him we've never seen before.

Everything happens for a reason....

Thing is, according to all his teammates, and even Gase himself, Tannehill this season with what happened to him last year, already had the fire in him.

I guess the fire is just going to have to get that much bigger each week.

I think a lot of people are mistaking Cutler bailing when an odd colour Jersey gets within 8 feet of him, as "good pocket presence".

Looks like a guy playing scared to me. It's not like he's a avoiding the rush, setting his feet and dropping dimes. He's bailing and throwing off his back foot to avoid contact.

Yeah, I agree. While I've criticized Tannehill for not throwing the ball away at times or using his legs more, he made some good strides last year in that area. Conversely, Cutler is ready to bail and get rid of the ball too too often.

I'll give Jay credit for going an making the tackle on the INT that was called back even though he knew that it was coming back because of roughness. Jim Everett would not have done that unless Rome made the pick.

Back
Top Bottom