Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah is the former scout who operates Move the Sticks, which covers the draft.

He was a national scout for the Browns.

He tweets a lot about the players in the draft. He recently talked about Rolando McClain.

MoveTheSticks: "With the college tape on Willis, Beason, Cushing,
Mauluga, Matthews and Curry their explosiveness jumped off the tape. Not with Rolando"
about 6 hours ago from TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks: "I texted 6 different teams and all of them had McClain
outside the top 10... He's best on air, Rare size + instincts, not a take-on thumper "
about 6 hours ago from TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks: "Just finished McClain, he saved his best game for
last (BCS game).. Reminds me of Karlos Dansby, big/instinctive/finesse... better vs pass"

My opinion, as I've talked about several times before on this forum, agrees with his (and the 6 teams he spoke with).

I don't see Rolando McClain as a top 10 prospect. It's kind of funny, talent_scout may be our local comic relief but he's actually right in one thing...and that is that McClain is very creaky at changing direction. I don't think he has a natural, instinctive physicality in terms of his work on blockers. I don't think he's explosive. I don't think he's an extremely high motor player. He definitely is not, in any way, shape or form, a blitzer. He tackles high. He might be the best pre-snap reader I've seen at the college level this year but he's not the best post-snap reader I've seen.

I think he's a very good player and he should be talked about as a possibility for a lot of teams in the first round.

But when I talk about those premium talents, the guys that we just can't pass on because they're top 5 type talents...I see a lot of folks believing that Rolando McClain is among those. I just don't see that. And apparently neither does Daniel Jeremiah, or the 6 teams he spoke with.

So, on the one hand, this is GOOD news for those folks that want McClain at #12, because it means that he'll probably be available. Linebacker is such a need for this team that Rolando is absolutely "in the mix" at that pick for the Miami Dolphins regardless of whether he's one of those can't miss top 5 types or not.

On the other hand, I don't know that he's the instant impact, slam dunk guy that most people seem to assume.

I don't see Cain as the 2nd coming and he isn't looking at all like a Willis - but who can ignore the interior Defense...? Something has to be in the works just has to be - and Cain would be an upgrade but perhaps he slips to the later like Ray M last year

Z Thomas wasn't on anyone's radar when he was selected so who knows what's in the works...?

Well evidently one big reason why Rey Maualuga slipped that far was because he was a raging alcoholic and teams knew it before the draft.

He was a more explosive player than Rolando McClain. Though, more prone to misfiring.

He may not be as explosive, but his instincts and preparation always put him near the ball. Plus, the guy says he reminds him of Karlos Dansby. Sign me up. ILB is a desperate need for this team.

When it comes to Dansby, it's a natural comparison because of their similar build. But Dansby is more physical and is a good blitzer, where McClain is not.

Well evidently one big reason why Rey Maualuga slipped that far was because he was a raging alcoholic and teams knew it before the draft.

He was a more explosive player than Rolando McClain. Though, more prone to misfiring.

I would say "Functional Alcoholic" the world is chocked full of the

I guess they can open up the wallets for Karlos if they don't like a solid but not spectacular player at no.12..., something has to happen with that interior or we will be 8/8 next year...

And if McClain is not a thumper, if he's a cerebral guy that is better against the pass...then why go for him at #12 when you could have A.J. Edds much later?

I would say "Functional Alcoholic" the world is chocked full of the

I guess they can open up the wallets for Karlos if they don't like a solid but not spectacular player at no.12..., something has to happen with that interior or we will be 8/8 next year...

When you check yourself into the Betty Ford Clinic as Maualuga has, then I think it's beyond "functional alcoholic"

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/03/sports/la-sp-newswire3-2010feb03

Well fancy that - RM was already drafted when he was "sent" to the Betty Ford by the Bungals.. Hell no the Police

-"Maualuga had his driver's license suspended for 90 days and was ordered to participate in an alcohol and drug education program..."

The Police were involved - we are talking about a number of factors after the draft... Today it is about the Bungals their valuable millionaire dollar asset and also getting him personal help..., did Ray seek any kind of help before the draft...? It could have dropped his draft stock farther and further to the point Ray would have had to make that choice..., he likely saw himself "functional"

USC Players and coaches probably told teams to shy away because of his lifestyle..., still the Bungals saw that he was functioning on the field pretty well at the time...

Further to the point take any number of "funcional" alcoholics (that is they don't address their issue) and give them a few a million and watch what happens...

When it comes to Dansby, it's a natural comparison because of their similar build. But Dansby is more physical and is a good blitzer, where McClain is not.

i actually think dansby is a good comparison...and i really like dansby...i'm not so sure that i agree that dansby is more physical or a better blitzer than mcclain...

i think mcclain has more upside than dansby though...higher ceiling...and i'd love to have a karlos dansby like player patrolling the middle of the field on defense over a channing crowder any day...

mcclain has better instincts than dansby or crowder also...

yeah...i'd take a karlos dansby with more upside at pick #12 any day...

I like hearing this this because it means he may still be on the board....

He will likley be on the board and he is not Willis but a hell of a lot better than anything we have had in the ILB for years..., no offense to ZT but he was dragged 3-4 yards the field by RBs down the last half of his career..., ZT was smart in pass defense though - I think Cain is too

i actually think dansby is a good comparison...and i really like dansby...i'm not so sure that i agree that dansby is more physical or a better blitzer than mcclain...

i think mcclain has more upside than dansby though...higher ceiling...and i'd love to have a karlos dansby like player patrolling the middle of the field on defense over a channing crowder any day...

mcclain has better instincts than dansby or crowder also...

yeah...i'd take a karlos dansby with more upside at pick #12 any day...

You don't think Dansby is a better blitzer? Man I have to disagree pretty strongly with that. The more physical part, that's debatable. And I agree that Ro could be a more cerebral player than Dansby.

Back
Top Bottom