Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain

The defensive scheme for Alabama was a more of a read and react scheme. McClain can't just start abandoning this scheme and attacking whenever he see's a play develop. He will be out of place and mess up the rest of the defense.

This is a very generous assessment. McClain blitzed a few times a game, and usually looked hesitant and slow in that roll. It also doesn't address his reaching habit. I'm not saying that he'll never be an attacking LB. He's just shown little-to-no evidence that he will.

worded poorly, I admit. but I was just trying to say that I think nolan and our LB coaches, could probably get him do some of the things maybe you and others suspect he can't or won't/doesn't do.

Again, for the billionth time, I think he can EXCEL in an attacking scheme. He just wasnt allowed to do it in college. I have never said he cant do it.

He's killing him...but hedging his bets at the same by throwing out "I think he'll be a good pro".....

How good of a pro will he be Daniel? Where would you take him? What game did you see him loaf 5 times? What's your definition of loafing?

As I've mentioned, I think the Dansby comparison is a brilliant one....it really is....with McClain being the better prospect coming out of college...

CK, who's right...you or Daniel? Was his best game his last game (as Daniel says)....or was he "invisible", according to you?

He seems to think coverage is one of McClain's strongsuits....you've said countless times that McClain is virtually a liability in coverage...and that Spikes is better...which is it?

I would love to see where he had Spikes this time last year in relation to the 3 USC linebackers....that everyone including this guy and his pet goldfish knew were going to be outstanding pro linebackers...

Alright Slimm, take a breath, calm down before you get so damned testy just because someone doesn't like a player that you like as much as you do. I don't know why you get so personal and so upset by these things. This is the draft, people see things differently.

Now, first off, you're mis-quoting me. In a comparison of Spikes with McClain I did indeed say that I like Spikes in coverage better. I then had to clarify that I liked Spikes in ZONE coverage better because he reads the QB's eyes better, but that McClain seems more experienced and able in man coverage, though there are times where he turns like a barge. I don't believe that I ever used the word "liability" in coverage. It's just not an opinion I have and it's just not something I think of him. I don't think he's as gifted in coverage as some guys who are basically by nature one-dimensional coverage backers. So what? Is that really all that unreasonable?

Daniel Jeremiah and I agree on a lot of things, disagree on some things. So what? Is that all that important or unobvious that you have to fling it out there as if it's so damning?

I'd appreciate it if, at the very least, you didn't outright misrepresent things that I've said.

For instance, never did I say that McClain was invisible against the Texas offense. This is kind of funny because I made a joke, and I guess you didn't get the joke, and so now you're holding it to me as if I said one thing when I really said another.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1063283112&highlight=invisible#post1063283112

Here. Read that post. I said and I quote,

I completely agree with the sentiment that Rolando McClain was invisible against the Texas D last night. ;)

It was a joke, hence the wink. Someone in the thread accidentally said that Rolando McClain was invisible against the Texas DEFENSE, and I was sort of tongue-in-cheek making fun of them...I agree, Rolando McClain was indeed invisible against the Texas DEFENSE (because he played against the Texas OFFENSE, get it?).

So again, stop taking everything so personal and trying to "get" someone just because they disagree with you...ending up exaggerating or outright misrepresenting what they said in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool as a cucumber over here CK...:lol:

That is NOT the quote that I was referring to.....you specifically made the statement that McClain cooled off in the 2nd half...and I'm not saying that it's wrong either...because I happen to agree with it..

My point was, don't come off of that now just because this guy seems to think that he saved his best game for last....if he was invisible for EITHER half, then there's no way that it could've been his best game...period...

This isn't a matter of opinion...this is an either/or.....and one of you guys (either you or Daniel) were clearly wrong in this instance....I happen to agree with you and think Daniel is wrong in this instance...

Of course McClain was invisible for the 2nd half....the scheme changed...for both teams...

Texas was playing down 3 scores to start the second half....they had Bama spread out in a different package passing constantly in an attempt to try to make up the deficit....this package is what kept allowing Applewhite to get Shipley matched up one-on-one with a safety...

McClain is not a perfect prospect...Hell I've never seen one....a few of the knocks on him are true....but some of this is also just bunk around here....probably because he plays for Nick Saban is the only thing I can think of....there's a few people around here that will mention anybody as a better pick than McClain until obviously it's clear they're not....pretty soon they're going to be down to Conan O'Brien and Bob Saget...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I enjoy reading them and responding to them reguardless....

I would actually like to talk about Kareem Jackson a little more and hear what your thoughts are on him as a prospect...

You quoted the word "invisible". You didn't say anything about cooling off in the second half. The only time I've even uttered the word "invisible" on this forum in the last year was when I tongue-in-cheek agreed that Rolando McClain was indeed invisible against the Texas D.

But if you insist that now all the sudden you're referring to some other completely different quote where I admitted that McClain was all over it in the first half and then cooled off in the second half, fine...if that's what you want to say, now. Either way, what you said before was a material misrepresentation of what I said about McClain's game against the Longhorns. You claimed I said he was "invisible". Saying he was really good in the first off then cooled off a bit in the second, isn't close to "invisible".

And I didn't even say he was INVISIBLE in the second half, just that he cooled off a little after obviously starting off very hot in the first half.

I don't see how you've got to create this either/or scenario. It would be an either/or scenario if I said that McClain was invisible in the game. I never said that, just didn't happen. I didn't even say he was invisible in the second half. You're putting words in my mouth. In fact, he had such a strong first half, that I might even agree with Daniel Jeremiah that given the fact that I did not grade his Kentucky game, I would say he was never better in the games I graded him than he was in that Texas game. I didn't even fault him for the second half cooling off because, as you said, the scheme and play calling just went away from him. So you say that there's this either/or, but there really isn't. You just never got my real opinion of how I felt about McClain's Texas game before jumping to conclusions. Personally I think based on what you and KC Joyner have said about the Kentucky game, Jeremiah is at least wrong about one thing if he thinks that the Texas game was McClain's finest hour.

As for Kareem Jackson, he's a bit like Spievey in that he's got enormous physical presence...but gives up catches that you tend to think, when gets some more experience under his belt...he won't give up. Actually Patrick Peterson is like that in some ways, though with even better physical presence and more talent. But Peterson is young enough to have a better excuse.

Truthfully I really like Kareem, just like I really like Spievey. Depending on what position you put Earl Thomas, I think they could be my #2 and #3 junior cornerbacks. My #1 senior CB has been, believe it or not, Brandon Ghee. He'll rock a low 4.3 at the Combine and that will show you part of the reason why. In addition to enormous physical gifts, I've always just seen him as a solid football player. I've got Kyle Wilson and Patrick Robinson battling for position immediately behind Ghee amongst the seniors.

To be honest I can't wait until Patrick Peterson comes out. That guy is going to be real good.

Ghee caught my attention a lot when I was looking at Alphonso Smith. As much as I tried to like Alphonso, my eyes kept being drawn to Ghee as the NFL prospect.

im enjoying this. btw, where is talent scout. i need a professional's opinion on these draft prospects.

I've always felt like Kareem Jackson was a very underrated player...I know you guys over at Universal Draft like to use game film to calibrate speed...and Jackson has a few plays that really, really standout...

Most notably were two instances where he chased down Dexter McCluster about 60 yards downfield....and even caught Jacoby Ford running down the seam and brought him down hard in Bama's 2008 matchup with Clemson...I couldn't believe it....I've watched that play over and over again and come away just as amazed as I did the first time...

As you mentioned, he's also a physical player that will get even better as he gets a little more sound in his technique....Jordan Shipley couldn't do anything matched up with him in the first half of the BCS CG.....but what I like most about him is he knows how to play the football...even in man coverage when he has to turn and locate it...it's just one of the things I place a high priority on with cornerbacks...

Jackson is my #2 junior corner followed by Warren....

Dominique Franks will probably run like the wind too....but there's just some things about him that I don't like...I dont think he's very physical and not very good in press....doesn't match up well with bigger receivers IMO.....I think he has potential as a #2 corner in the NFL down the road...

It's interesting that you have Ghee as your #1 senior CB....I think he'll time well too, but his deep speed is actually something that I've questioned about him....I love his physicality though and he's a very solid tackler...in fact....I have him right behind Arenas and Haden strictly as far as blitzing corners go....

One thing about this corner class....it's definitely a helluva lot faster than last years corner class....I dont know what Patrick Robinson will time, but it wouldn't surprise me if he breaks into the 4.3 range either...low 4.4 at worst....he just leaves me scratching my head as to why he's not better and more consistent than he is....he's got everything to be the best CB in this draft...he just hasn't put it all together for some reason..

I actually have Wilson as my top senior corner....I like his ball skills a little better than Perrish Cox and I think Wilson is a little more consistent and a safer pick....Ghee and Robinson are my next two seniors followed by Cox...

The other guy I liked before he got injured was Walter Thurmond....I still think he could end up being a nice pick for some team that uses a mid/late round pick on him after he's healed up...

I like Arenas, Brian Jackson, Chris Cook, McCourty, Verner, Jerome Murphy, Walter McFadden, Devin Ross, and Patrick Stoudamire in my next batch of seniors...

Although I'm still trying to sort them out......along with figuring out if Myron Lewis' best fit is a zone corner or safety...what's your take there?

Notice I didn't mention Syd'Quan Thompson or Trevard Lindley....I wouldn't take either of them until late....

Also, what's your take on Rogan...corner or safety?

Back
Top Bottom