Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain

So, if the fish pass on Rolando McClain at 12 and Dez Bryant is gone. Who do you take? CJ Spiller ? Earl Thomas? Who else is likely worth the number 12 pick? Dan Williams ?

You don't think Dansby is a better blitzer? Man I have to disagree pretty strongly with that. The more physical part, that's debatable. And I agree that Ro could be a more cerebral player than Dansby.

hmmm...well maybe i do agree that dasnby at this point is more physical but i don't recall when dansby came out thinking that he was a very physical player...

my point is that i do think long term that mcclain would become a more physical player...i just keep thinking he's gonna do whatever he has to do to get the job done...

unlike some of these other lbs who i think what i see on tape today is what they'll be say 5 years from now...ie weatherspoon etc...

and i definitely don't think that mcclains ceiling as a blitzer has been reached...i think that's pretty untapped

I think they're going to want to use the opportunity at #12 to grab a guy that will help fix the OLB situation into the ideal situation that they would like it to be. They're not happy with the combo of Joey Porter and Jason Taylor, I think they've made that plain. But there's also a lingering (though at times baffling) discomfort with Cameron Wake. I wish they would just get over that and push the bird off the damn cliff and see if he flies, but it is what it is.

A guy that seems to have "the makeup" and is recently getting lots of acclaim, but a guy that I have not always been comfortable with, is Brandon Graham. The moment Mike Nolan stepped on board, Brandon Graham's likelihood for Miami shot up dramatically. Nolan has no issue with shorter OLBs, see Parys Haralson (whom he helped choose for San Fran) and Elvis Dumervil (whom he made into a star in Denver).

So right now I just have to forecast that the most likely pick for the Miami Dolphins at #12 is Brandon Graham. And I see that Wes Bunting agrees.

They're talking a lot about the NT position right now...but I think that's something they try and address before the draft. They're paying VERY close attention to the situation with Vince Wilfork, and likely Casey Hampton as well. And they're also trying to figure out whether to get Jason Ferguson back, IMO.

I see Earl Thomas as a CB in the NFL. And now that I'm reading more of Daniel Jeremiah, evidently one team he's in contact with told him directly that they have Earl as their #2 CB in the entire draft. So, I'm not alone in that one.

It may be Brandon Graham, but it could also be other OLBs. You don't know if they'll fall in love with a Jerry Hughes. Remember, Elvis Dumervil was pretty much a pass rusher only. He wasn't some great all-around player. I think that Jerry Hughes is the best all-around pass rusher in this draft. I tend to doubt it will be Jason Pierre-Paul. I'm not sure he has "the makeup". But Nolan did have input on the physical freak Manny Lawson in San Fran, and I find it interesting that he ended up putting him at SOLB with the 49ers and not having him rush the passer as much. JPP compares favorably with Manny from a physical standpoint, I just don't know if he compares from a mental makeup standpoint. The guy you absolutely don't sleep on would be Everson Griffen. He is a very explosive, very athletic, and very good pass rusher. I don't know if he's an all around linebacker, but he did drop back in coverage and play from an up position at USC (not necessarily especially well) and remember, Elvis Dumervil wasn't some great all around linebacker and that seemed fine for Mike Nolan. Derrick Morgan tugs at me because I love him so much as a player. Denver drafted Robert Ayers...did Nolan have input on that pick? If so, Morgan is absolutely in play. If not, then probably not. I have a hard time seeing Ricky Sapp or Sergio Kindle being in play at the #12 spot.

Outside of the OLB candidates for #12, I think you have the possibility that they do circle back and take a NT or some kind of DL generalist. The two stronger possibilities there are Dan Williams and Jared Odrick. Odrick believes he can play the 0 Technique and he's even talked with some teams about doing so.

That's really about it. If I had to develop a short list, let's say 6 names...it would include Brandon Graham, Everson Griffen, Jerry Hughes, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams and Rolando McClain.

hmmm...well maybe i do agree that dasnby at this point is more physical but i don't recall when dansby came out thinking that he was a very physical player...

my point is that i do think long term that mcclain would become a more physical player...i just keep thinking he's gonna do whatever he has to do to get the job done...

unlike some of these other lbs who i think what i see on tape today is what they'll be say 5 years from now...ie weatherspoon etc...

and i definitely don't think that mcclains ceiling as a blitzer has been reached...i think that's pretty untapped

If I remember correctly, when Dansby came out he and Reggie Torbor were the OLB pass rushers for Auburn's defense. IMO he was a very physical player coming out and was leagues ahead as a pass rusher.

I agree with most of what Jeremiah had to say. Good to see someone agrees that McClain is pretty good against the pass. More-so in zone than man of coruse, but still very solid in coverage. Been arguing that for the longest time now. Also agree with what CK had to say in the other thread about him having ridiculous strength, bot not necessarily ridiculous physicality. McClain overall is a very good tackler, though he tends to tackle high, but not someone who will lay a lot of "Holy ****" type hits. McClain also does a very solid job shedding blocks. Something very important in a 3-4. Of course what stands out the most about McClain is the intelligence he displays as well as his leadership. His pre-snap reads are very impressive. Would really like to know what Jeremiah thinks of McClain's blitzing ability. I just can't agree with McClain being a bad blitzer. Certainly above average imo.

I think he's a typical MLB blitzer, which is to say, typical for MLBs is below average. I do not think he's a good blitzer in any way.

I don't know if you'd seen this. In the three games I did of McClain, I put together every instance of his blitzing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG6bwopKTc

That video's the 2nd in a two part series. Not just about his blitzing but about a lot of stuff.

If I remember correctly, when Dansby came out he and Reggie Torbor were the OLB pass rushers for Auburn's defense. IMO he was a very physical player coming out and was leagues ahead as a pass rusher.

that may be right...so how did dansby end up as a 3-4 ilb and not an olb???

I think they're going to want to use the opportunity at #12 to grab a guy that will help fix the OLB situation into the ideal situation that they would like it to be. They're not happy with the combo of Joey Porter and Jason Taylor, I think they've made that plain. But there's also a lingering (though at times baffling) discomfort with Cameron Wake. I wish they would just get over that and push the bird off the damn cliff and see if he flies, but it is what it is.

A guy that seems to have "the makeup" and is recently getting lots of acclaim, but a guy that I have not always been comfortable with, is Brandon Graham. The moment Mike Nolan stepped on board, Brandon Graham's likelihood for Miami shot up dramatically. Nolan has no issue with shorter OLBs, see Parys Haralson (whom he helped choose for San Fran) and Elvis Dumervil (whom he made into a star in Denver).

So right now I just have to forecast that the most likely pick for the Miami Dolphins at #12 is Brandon Graham. And I see that Wes Bunting agrees.

They're talking a lot about the NT position right now...but I think that's something they try and address before the draft. They're paying VERY close attention to the situation with Vince Wilfork, and likely Casey Hampton as well. And they're also trying to figure out whether to get Jason Ferguson back, IMO.

I see Earl Thomas as a CB in the NFL. And now that I'm reading more of Daniel Jeremiah, evidently one team he's in contact with told him directly that they have Earl as their #2 CB in the entire draft. So, I'm not alone in that one.

It may be Brandon Graham, but it could also be other OLBs. You don't know if they'll fall in love with a Jerry Hughes. Remember, Elvis Dumervil was pretty much a pass rusher only. He wasn't some great all-around player. I think that Jerry Hughes is the best all-around pass rusher in this draft. I tend to doubt it will be Jason Pierre-Paul. I'm not sure he has "the makeup". But Nolan did have input on the physical freak Manny Lawson in San Fran, and I find it interesting that he ended up putting him at SOLB with the 49ers and not having him rush the passer as much. JPP compares favorably with Manny from a physical standpoint, I just don't know if he compares from a mental makeup standpoint. The guy you absolutely don't sleep on would be Everson Griffen. He is a very explosive, very athletic, and very good pass rusher. I don't know if he's an all around linebacker, but he did drop back in coverage and play from an up position at USC (not necessarily especially well) and remember, Elvis Dumervil wasn't some great all around linebacker and that seemed fine for Mike Nolan. Derrick Morgan tugs at me because I love him so much as a player. Denver drafted Robert Ayers...did Nolan have input on that pick? If so, Morgan is absolutely in play. If not, then probably not. I have a hard time seeing Ricky Sapp or Sergio Kindle being in play at the #12 spot.

Outside of the OLB candidates for #12, I think you have the possibility that they do circle back and take a NT or some kind of DL generalist. The two stronger possibilities there are Dan Williams and Jared Odrick. Odrick believes he can play the 0 Technique and he's even talked with some teams about doing so.

That's really about it. If I had to develop a short list, let's say 6 names...it would include Brandon Graham, Everson Griffen, Jerry Hughes, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams and Rolando McClain.
I would love an OLB in the first. The problem I have is I don't see any OLB prospects that jump out at me as a top 12 prospect other than Derrick Morgan. Obviously at #12 you have to consider Graham, Griffen and JPP there, but they're more of a 15-20 range type. The ideal situation would be to trade down into the 20's and pick up an extra 2nd, but I can't see that happening unless Bulaga falls to us and GB is willing to trade up for him. Of course the way it's looking, should be some good OLB prospects in rounds 2-3 as well. Absolutely love Jason Worilds.

I think he's a typical MLB blitzer, which is to say, typical for MLBs is below average. I do not think he's a good blitzer in any way.

I don't know if you'd seen this. In the three games I did of McClain, I put together every instance of his blitzing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG6bwopKTc

That video's the 2nd in a two part series. Not just about his blitzing but about a lot of stuff.
Will certainly take a look. I agree that he's a typical ILB blitzer, though I think he's more average than below average though. Certainly better than we currently have as far as blitzing is concerned aside from maybe Torbor who hasn't exactly shown that ability as a Dolphin.

that may be right...so how did dansby end up as a 3-4 ilb and not an olb???

First off remember that he was drafted by a 4-3 defense, not a 3-4 defense. Or at least I'm like 90% sure he was. Coming out he was more suited to play linebacker in space than defensive end with his hand on the ground. Once he got the opportunity to show his stuff as a linebacker, his ability there and his style pretty much led him to the inside rather than the outside.

Will certainly take a look. I agree that he's a typical ILB blitzer, though I think he's more average than below average though. Certainly better than we currently have as far as blitzing is concerned aside from maybe Torbor who hasn't exactly shown that ability as a Dolphin.

He's not a better blitzer than Channing Crowder. In fact Channing is a sight better.

First off remember that he was drafted by a 4-3 defense, not a 3-4 defense. Or at least I'm like 90% sure he was. Coming out he was more suited to play linebacker in space than defensive end with his hand on the ground. Once he got the opportunity to show his stuff as a linebacker, his ability there and his style pretty much led him to the inside rather than the outside.

i got ya...i wasn't looking at these guys anywhere near as hard as i am now...

yeah...i think you're right on dansby

after reviewing worilds some more i think he's the best non 270 plus lbs de at the poa vs the run who has good looking change of direction...looks natural to me standing up unlike kindle pierre etc...

definitely a guy at #43 for me as a solb

I'd agree with that. Problem is Crowder hasn't exactly shown that ability even though I know it's there.

good grief...crowder is a horrible blitzer...he like leaves hit feet when he gets in the backfield and doesn't get near the qb...almost like he beelines for the blockers and just jumps into them...lol

i think mcclain will be a more effective better blitzer than crowder...no question to me

Back
Top Bottom