"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
do you agree ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=runintothegroun&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

And how about Ricky Williams in Miami? Forty-two carries against the Bills Sunday night, 34 the week before against the Jets. All Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own. It'll catch up to Williams earlier than he thinks. Sideline shots of him Sunday night showed a very exhausted player. Last year the Dolphins lifted him on passing downs. Now he stays in. Travis Minor is supposed to be his relief man, but he had no carries against the Bills and only five the week before.

I just think he is doing everything for the TEAM to win in 2003 - which is what will prolong his career. Hard to separate the 2

I think Dr. Z might ask Ricky what he thinks. That "sideline shots of him Sunday night showed a very exhausted player" statement is just plain inaccurate. Ricky looked tired in the first half. In the second half he didn't look tired at all...ever. I was lookin at him too. And Ricky proved it himself. After his 42nd carry when the 3rd and short was not called a TD, he ran to the sidelines and was pleading with Dave Wannstedt and TELLING him exactly what play to run because he knew he'd get that touchdown. He was just plain excited.

Then he slept merely three hours, got up in the morning and was so full of energy he decided to run a few MILES on a treadmill under 3 feet of water. Goodness gracious.

Maybe Dr. Z just doesn't understand. Ricky is a breed of his own now that he's hooked up with that Sari Mellman chick. She's helping 38 year olds stay competitive with her diets. With a 26 year old with such physical gifts as Ricky...apparently the diet is giving him unbelievable amounts of energy.

I disagree b/c Wannsted planned to spell RW in the third but he didn't want to come out. Also the sideline shots didn't show a tired RW. Even the announcers commented on that. RW said he wasn't tired the next morning and even ran 2 miles on the treadmill, underwater! IMO Dr. Z is just seeing what he wants to see.

You know I must have watched another game, because I never really saw any sideline pics of RW looking exhausted at all. in fact the broadcast team all commented that he was looking really sharp and ready to go all game long, in fact Suzy Kolber wanted to find out the secret ingredients in his organic drink so she could have his stamina.

So yeah it was a lot of carries but you know he wont get 42 every week and he like Dave wants to win, there is a Bye week this week and he will have 0 carries which averages it out to 21 carries these two weeks.

Dr. Z is pretty much widely heralded as an idiot. The man started hitting his stride the last drive, and was obviously fine afterwards. Just because he's running hard for two games he's being "sacrificed".

Funny, does it seem like an exhausted player would be coming into camp the next day and asking what they need him to do?

He has a point. Too many of these 31, 42 etc carry games will indeed shorten any RBs career. Look at Earl Campbell. 6 years and he was done. But at the same time, Dr. Z fails to realize what you guys are saying here. We're doing it for 2003. And these were divisional games....the ones that "count". You go balls to the wall there.

If we can get the passing game going, Ricky's carries will decrease.

AGain ... I am ashamed to have that other Dr. Z share my moniker.

The commentators made an astut point Sunday night to the effect that Ricky's longevity would be in danger if he was still the brutal north-south runner he was during his time in New Orleans. Now that he has trimmed down, that's just not the case.

I think Ricky was indeed very tired. Not to the extent that Lamar Smith was, but very tired none the less. You could see it on that last "big" run, where Ricky neglected to transfer the ball to his outside arm. Those are the types of things a player does (or doesn't do) when he's getting fatigued.

All that said, Ricky looked really good for a guy who had just pounded the rock 42 times. Just proves that not only is he a phenomenal athlete, but he's in phenomenal shape. And with this week off (ankle nick), I think Ricky will look better than he has all year against the Giants.

I totally disagree with the accusation that Dave is trying to ride Ricky into the ground.

I'm sure that if Dave hadn't used Ricky and Miami lost, Dr. Z wouldn't write "Miami loses, but Dave's unselfishness proves he is at least trying to preserve Ricky's career"

I think it was Norv or Wanny who said that if we had competed some of those longer pass plays (like Thompsons premature leap in the endzone, or Jay's over throw to chambers)... then we wouldn't have needed to run Ricky 42 times...

Dr.Z . . . what a jackass.

Ricky would only shorten his career if he was looking to hit into everyone all the time, that's not the case anymore here in Miami, he runs away from em unless neccessary :evil: . I think EVERYONE (for god sakes) is making a HUGE deal out of this 42 carry game. What is Ricky's avg runs per game? Probably somewhere in like the 28 1/2 range. . .?

I don't think he can take it every week, but I don't think he will. He only carried it 17 times in game one and he has a bye this week. It would be impossible to come to a conclusion without seeing him put in the situation that Lamar was. Lamar played an entire season before that game just wore him out.

He sure seemed to look better and better as that game wore on.
I think this quote from that article sums up RW pretty well-

""Sometimes when a runner isn't used enough," said Mo Carthon, the Cowboys' offensive coordinator and running backs coach, "it takes something away from his game. There's a certain kind of runner... well, you have to let him know he's the man, that you're counting on him." "

If he had more of an opportunity in that first game we'd be 3-0 right now. I say Dave W., you let Ricky know he is the man and that you are counting on him.

Back
Top Bottom