"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z

Game 1 - 17 Carries
Game 2 - 34 Carries
Game 3 - 42 Carries
----------------------------
93 Carries = 31 per game average.

Please Dr Z....give us all a break.

The Lions have thrown the ball 127 times this year. Is Steve Marriuci sacrificing Joey Harrington's arm to win too?

Jason Elam has kicked 11 Extra Points and 7 Field Goals. Time to get a new kicker before his leg stops working.

Shane Lechler and Ken Walter each have 21 punts this year, maybe we can trade Mark Royals, he only has 16.

You have once again professed your complete misunderstanding of football.

Dr. Z., you are an idiot!

Here's my two cents. Ricky is Jim Brown's prodigy now. When Jim Brown played he would often times be slow in getting up after a hit, and look tired in going back the huddle. He'd take the defenders best shot and then come right back on the next play and simply bring it harder then he did the play before.

I personally think that Ricky is playing the psychological game with the opponents. If he gets up slow and makes them think he is tired or wearing down then maybe they'll let up a bit and think that he has lost a step near the end of the game.

Meanwhile Ricky is simply taking his time and doing the slow getting up thing intentionally just to bait the opponent. And then he runs over their stupid asses on the next play like nothing ever happened to him.

That's my take on the whole thing. Ricky isn't tired, and he wasn't even sore after Sunday night's game and only needed 3 hours of sleep. Ricky is just not human!!! He's our man - run him till he pukes!!!

Ricky probably does the best job out of any back in the league of avoiding unnecessary hits. When I met Ricky he simply told me that if he cant' deliver the blow, than he might as well go down. Now, if you watch the Bills game look at how many times he purposely went down before the defender delivered the hit. Dr. Z has no clue on what his talking about. Just watch Rikcy run and see how good of job he does avoiding hits. By the way that's one thing Clinton Portis neds to work on, otherwise he will be hurt all the time.

Maybe its just me, but I thought it was an excellent article. And I agree with him that hes milking Ricky too much. JMO.

Christian Okoye comes to mind...he lasted, what, 5 or 6 seasons ?

clear.gif

I would rather see him get 25 carries a game rather then 42, We need him in the postseason. This is where Fiedler has to step up, and make the deep throws.

Everyone is acting like we run him 40 times a game. ONE GAME! ONE GAME! Let's repeat. . .onnnnnneeeeeeee....gaaaaaammmmmmmeeeee..

If he averages 30 runs a game..thats no more or less then any other good RB out there. He was up for it anyway. Bye week aftewards, and he hardly broke a sweat against the Texans.'

Also, Ricky doesn't ever get up on his own. 95% percent of the time there is usually 2 guys helping him up ;).

uhhhhhhhhhhh.......he has a week off dr.:lol: yeah i see the young stud slowing down real soon. the only ones who were tired were Bills palyers who had noone left at the goaline to keep ricky from tipping the ball over the goaline! they were all on the ground!:lol:

Originally posted by baracuda
Here's my two cents. Ricky is Jim Brown's prodigy now. When Jim Brown played he would often times be slow in getting up after a hit, and look tired in going back the huddle. He'd take the defenders best shot and then come right back on the next play and simply bring it harder then he did the play before.

I personally think that Ricky is playing the psychological game with the opponents. If he gets up slow and makes them think he is tired or wearing down then maybe they'll let up a bit and think that he has lost a step near the end of the game.

Meanwhile Ricky is simply taking his time and doing the slow getting up thing intentionally just to bait the opponent. And then he runs over their stupid asses on the next play like nothing ever happened to him.

That's my take on the whole thing. Ricky isn't tired, and he wasn't even sore after Sunday night's game and only needed 3 hours of sleep. Ricky is just not human!!! He's our man - run him till he pukes!!!

i agree with you completely. ricky is playing mr. tired and then he keeps on ticking.

Ricky is in his fourth year and I imagine is about 25 years old going on 26. Most Rb's don't last that long once they get on the other side of 30. How much can his career really be shortened?????

This is a WIN NOW and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY league... If it means running Ricky 30+ times a game to win, then that's what we have to do... It's not like he takes hard licks when he runs, he does run out of bounds or tuck under would-be tacklers a lot...

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Everyone is acting like we run him 40 times a game. ONE GAME! ONE GAME! Let's repeat. . .onnnnnneeeeeeee....gaaaaaammmmmmmeeeee..

If he averages 30 runs a game..thats no more or less then any other good RB out there. He was up for it anyway. Bye week aftewards, and he hardly broke a sweat against the Texans.'

Also, Ricky doesn't ever get up on his own. 95% percent of the time there is usually 2 guys helping him up ;).

EXACTLY!

I went on Miami's roster and said he's 25, but some report listed him at 26. Either way he's got 3-4 very good - great years left in him, maybe more? Who knows. Hopefully he stays injury free for the most part. That would help a lot, he's also in phenom shape.

Originally posted by Muck
I think Ricky was indeed very tired. Not to the extent that Lamar Smith was, but very tired none the less. You could see it on that last "big" run, where Ricky neglected to transfer the ball to his outside arm. Those are the types of things a player does (or doesn't do) when he's getting fatigued.

Muck I disagree with your assessment here. Ricky never transfers the ball to his outside arm when he's running and it's something that's bothered me since he's been here. I personally feel it contributes to his fumbling probs.

Watch the tape of him in the last few games when he's had a few more long runs and you'll see he never transfers the ball to the left arm, always the right.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

I have to disagree there. Thirty carries a game mulitplied by 16 is 480 carries...which would smash the NFL record. The guy who set that record was Jamal Anderson(410), who really suffered as a result (although he did have a knee injury as well). Anyone remember what happened to Rodney Hampton?? Look at Eddie George.

I agree that Ricky has to run the ball a lot, and indeed should do so. However, using Travis a few times a game certainly doesn't hurt too much. Minor has shown that he can run the ball in this league. Perhaps Ricky doesn't look tired NOW, but give hime 480 carries this year, then expect him to perform in the playoffs.

I don't care whether who it is, running backs only have so many carries in them.

Just in case anyone is interested, two of Norv Turners' previous running backs career highs for carries in a season are:-

Eric Dickerson 404
Emmitt Smith 377

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom