"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z

You're damed if you do, and you're damned if you don't. Run him to much, and get abused in the media...don't run him enough, get abused in the media.

Ricky got the perfect amount of carries, and if you want to blame someone for him having to tote the rock so much, blame Derrius Thompson. If it weren't for his acrobatic non-touchdown, Travis Minor would have been in the game some.

Oh yea, and Mare can get some blame, two missed field goals equate to 6 points.

So we have a 7 point TD pass that wasn't, and two missed field goals. The score would have been 30-7

Ricky would of been sitting down during the 4th.

Dr. Z is right. If you give Ricky the ball this much, he isn't going to last very long. Ricky should be getting 25 carries a game at the maximum. If we overuse him, he won't be around at the end of the season.

Well I doubt Ricky is going to be carrying the ball on average 38 times a game like he has over the past two games. Wanny even said himself, he just does what the game plan calls for. Against the Giants we might throw the ball 45 times, if thats what we see being to our advantage.

These were two tough division games where we needed to pound them into the ground, thats all. Ricky got the ball like only 12 times in Week 1 against the Texans and everyone criticized us for not utilizing him enough. Everyone criticized us for not giving him preseason snaps or letting people tackle him in practice. This is exactly why.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Well I doubt Ricky is going to be carrying the ball on average 38 times a game like he has over the past two games. Wanny even said himself, he just does what the game plan calls for. Against the Giants we might throw the ball 45 times, if thats what we see being to our advantage.

These were two tough division games where we needed to pound them into the ground, thats all. Ricky got the ball like only 12 times in Week 1 against the Texans and everyone criticized us for not utilizing him enough. Everyone criticized us for not giving him preseason snaps or letting people tackle him in practice. This is exactly why.

Good point. The guy is VERY well rested coming into week 3. The first 2 weeks weren't really a big work load. Also, I think we can all agree that Ricky is in hella better shape then Anderson or George ever was (hard to tell), but the guy is just incredible. I never cared for Eddie anyway. We can all settle down ;)..we aren't going to run him into the ground. If Ricky WANTS the ball, you GIVE Ricky the ball :D :D

Originally posted by inFINSible
I forget....what team does Dr. Z coach? :rolleyes:

None ... but he makes a very nice living with his writing about football and sports. Do you? :D

No offense, but even before hearing about this article, I had concerns for Ricky. I loved that game, but I've seen too many RB's careers be diminished b/c of abuse. They do need to develop and use talent (such as Minor) that can be effective and keep Ricky fresh over the long haul. Especially for the end of the season.

It's a legitimate concern from both a seasonal viewpoint (not being worn down come playoff time) and from a player's career viewpoint. Especially when you consider that Ricky is way underpaid for his production b/c of the stupid contract he signed. He blew it with that, but ... you have to hope he has a long career and gets his due. He's a decent guy who has sacrificed a lot for this team.

Yes, his running style has changed a bit (like when he went out of bounds early and didn't take a hit from Milloy). But, all through the 2nd half, they were bashing him in there - it's impossible not to take a beating when you hammer up the middle. I do think Z was over-reactiong about this particular game. But, they need to be careful as the season goes on.

I don't think Dr. Z made his point. Do you really believe the main lynchpin of his argument, Marshall Faulk, is declining because he's been worked too hard? On the contrary, I've heard numerous commentators during the past years blaming the Rams' woes on the fact he hasn't been used enough.

As for the other runners in the article, I saw no empirical evidence that their decline was due to anything other than age. And has been stated elsewhere on the board, Ricky says he is feeling better now than he has at any point in his career.

"Idiot" is a little strong. But he deserves criticicism for the article.

Originally posted by Muck
I think Ricky was indeed very tired. Not to the extent that Lamar Smith was, but very tired none the less. You could see it on that last "big" run, where Ricky neglected to transfer the ball to his outside arm. Those are the types of things a player does (or doesn't do) when he's getting fatigued.

All that said, Ricky looked really good for a guy who had just pounded the rock 42 times. Just proves that not only is he a phenomenal athlete, but he's in phenomenal shape. And with this week off (ankle nick), I think Ricky will look better than he has all year against the Giants.

I have to disagree. I've seen Ricky make that mistake before, and it's been at the beginning or middle of games. In fact, it's resulted in a lot of his fumbles. I don't think that's a function of fatigue...I just think it's a function of Ricky.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

Good point. The guy is VERY well rested coming into week 3. The first 2 weeks weren't really a big work load. Also, I think we can all agree that Ricky is in hella better shape then Anderson or George ever was (hard to tell), but the guy is just incredible. I never cared for Eddie anyway. We can all settle down ;)..we aren't going to run him into the ground. If Ricky WANTS the ball, you GIVE Ricky the ball :D :D

Although you say after the statement 'hard to tell', how can you possibly say that Ricky is in better shape than George ever was?? How do you know that?? Have you ever seen the kind of physical shape that Eddie George keeps himself in. If you were contrasting Ricky with a tub of lard like Craig Haywood, then I could understand it. Lets not get carried away with this Superman perspective. Ricky may be in good shape, but he is only human.

I understand that Ricky needed to get the ball that many times against the Bills. This article is also an over reaction to the last two games. However, there are going to be opportunities to spell Williams with Travis Minor this year, and not just when the game is over. If Ricky has to carry 480 times this year, the Phins will be in trouble. If Ricky had no servicable backup, then there may be reason to run Ricky ragged. However, Minor brings a lot to the field, and is no bum. Infact, he regularly averages 5+ yards per carry. Use Minor's quickness and speed against a tired defense, and there will be some big plays.

Yes, getting to the playoffs is the priority at this point. However, there is no point getting there, if Ricky is a spent force.

Originally posted by phinphan

Although you say after the statement 'hard to tell', how can you possibly say that Ricky is in better shape than George ever was?? How do you know that?? Have you ever seen the kind of physical shape that Eddie George keeps himself in. If you were contrasting Ricky with a tub of lard like Craig Haywood, then I could understand it. Lets not get carried away with this Superman perspective. Ricky may be in good shape, but he is only human.

I understand that Ricky needed to get the ball that many times against the Bills. This article is also an over reaction to the last two games. However, there are going to be opportunities to spell Williams with Travis Minor this year, and not just when the game is over. If Ricky has to carry 480 times this year, the Phins will be in trouble. If Ricky had no servicable backup, then there may be reason to run Ricky ragged. However, Minor brings a lot to the field, and is no bum. Infact, he regularly averages 5+ yards per carry. Use Minor's quickness and speed against a tired defense, and there will be some big plays.

Yes, getting to the playoffs is the priority at this point. However, there is no point getting there, if Ricky is a spent force.

Here's an idea...lets see what Wanny does when we're NOT going into a bye week. He never ran Ricky 42 times before, and I doubt he's going to do it again. The flip side of that is that if Ricky is in a groove and WANTS the ball over and over BECAUSE he's in that groove....Wanny would have to be an idiot not to give it to him.

Originally posted by phinphan

I don't know, that's why I said "It's hard to tell", but just by the way Ricky works out, his diet, his physic (don't know if I spelled that right), his speed, it's just an opinion of mine. I very well could be right..I very well could be wrong. Everyone just is overreacting over this and it's silly. I would be concerned if Ricky touched the ball 40+ times the past 3 weeks, but he hasn't, and he won't.
Yes, getting to the playoffs is the priority at this point. However, there is no point getting there, if Ricky is a spent force. Wanny wanted Ricky out, he didn't want to come out. Trust me..if Ricky came out and Minor got the ball and went for 2 or 3 yards only when he touched the ball everyone would be screaming "WHY ISNT RICKY IN THERE". It's the way it is ;)

Dr. Z totally over reacted and Ricky's not gonna get 40 carries every game, that's just common sense. Although the article yesterday talking about how Ricky wasn't tired or sore at all was bullsh*t too. You don't take those hits all game and not have aches and pains regardless of what shape you're in. That was big time homer and Dr. Z's is big time hater. I never really liked Dr. Z anyway but he had a few valid points, just over reacted after 1 game.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Here's an idea...lets see what Wanny does when we're NOT going into a bye week. He never ran Ricky 42 times before, and I doubt he's going to do it again. The flip side of that is that if Ricky is in a groove and WANTS the ball over and over BECAUSE he's in that groove....Wanny would have to be an idiot not to give it to him.

Exactly. It's not like the guy was winded and about to pass out. HE WANTED THE FRIGGIN BALL! Give him the damn rock if he wants it that bad and KNOWS he can do something with it.

Originally posted by UncleTed
Dr. Z totally over reacted and Ricky's not gonna get 40 carries every game, that's just common sense. Although the article yesterday talking about how Ricky wasn't tired or sore at all was bullsh*t too. You don't take those hits all game and not have aches and pains regardless of what shape you're in. That was big time homer and Dr. Z's is big time hater. I never really liked Dr. Z anyway but he had a few valid points, just over reacted after 1 game.

He slept for 3 hours and worked out.

What possibly could be hurting him? His finger? :tongue:

I'm sure he's a bit stiff and sore. .but for what he did Sunday he should be flat assed in bed.

do you seriously believe that he had 3 hours sleep on top of it? I don't. These guys are constantly trying to make themselves appear tougher than they are. Plus, what was his workout regiman the next day? He could very well have been on an exercise bike loosening up his stiff body. Don't get me wrong, I think Ricky's a tough S.O.B. and he's definitely my favorite player but I've come to realize that alot of what we read is bull. The team, coaches, players, etc.. always plant seeds.

Back
Top Bottom