"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dave Wannstedt is doing is shortening Williams' career to prolong his own" - Dr. Z

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

None ... but he makes a very nice living with his writing about football and sports. Do you? :D

No offense, but even before hearing about this article, I had concerns for Ricky. I loved that game, but I've seen too many RB's careers be diminished b/c of abuse. They do need to develop and use talent (such as Minor) that can be effective and keep Ricky fresh over the long haul. Especially for the end of the season.

It's a legitimate concern from both a seasonal viewpoint (not being worn down come playoff time) and from a player's career viewpoint. Especially when you consider that Ricky is way underpaid for his production b/c of the stupid contract he signed. He blew it with that, but ... you have to hope he has a long career and gets his due. He's a decent guy who has sacrificed a lot for this team.

Yes, his running style has changed a bit (like when he went out of bounds early and didn't take a hit from Milloy). But, all through the 2nd half, they were bashing him in there - it's impossible not to take a beating when you hammer up the middle. I do think Z was over-reactiong about this particular game. But, they need to be careful as the season goes on.

My point was, his a$$ isn't the one on the line. Wannstedt is not going to run Ricky into the ground every game. If he leans on him heavily in big games, that's for the good of the team, and I'm sure it won't be the game plan every week. Just because it could be construed as Wannstedt acting selfishly doesn't mean it's responsible journalism (oxy-moron?) to make that leap. I don't think Wannstedt was thinking about his job at all, he was just trying to win the ball game. I think that this game is being blown way out of proportion by fickle critics who first say he's not being used enough and now say he's being used too much. At the end of the season when all the rushes have been totaled, then maybe this arguement might have some legs. Until then, it's just somebody trying to sell advertising.

Back
Top Bottom