"Days of 'bigger & stronger' on O-Line are gone for Dolphins" Zone blocking | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Days of 'bigger & stronger' on O-Line are gone for Dolphins" Zone blocking

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/

Good article that helps to explain the signing of Artis Hicks and the resigning of Steve Slayton, and if they draft O-Line what colleges the player will likely come from

"The Dolphins will be switching to a “zone blocking scheme” this year, which will give the offensive line – and especially the running game – a much different look than in the previous four years under Tony Sparano."
"The concept is fairly simple: In a zone blocking scheme an offensive lineman is responsible for an area of the field instead of a specific man. The offensive line usually flows in the same direction – all five players moving left or right – and relies heavily on double-teams and cut-back blocks on defenders. Offensive linemen have more horizontal movements than just straight down-field."

"The switch to the new zone blocking scheme is a reason why the Dolphins signed Artis Hicks in free agency. Hicks, who has started 71 games in his 10-year career, has played exclusively on West Coast Offense teams that utilize zone blocking – Philadelphia under Andy Reid, Minnesota under Brad Childress, Washington under Shanahan and Cleveland under Pat Shurmur (and Mike Holmgren). "

"And the zone blocking scheme is why the Dolphins re-signed backup running back Steve Slaton. He saw little action and was mostly ineffective in the Dolphins’ power running game last year, rushing for just 64 yards in three games. But as a rookie in 2008, Slaton rushed for 1,282 yards and nine touchdowns in Kubiak’s zone blocking scheme. Slaton also ran behind zone blocking in college at West Virginia."

"Dolphins center Mike Pouncey, a fantastic athlete who stands 6-5 and 303 pounds and was the team’s first-round pick in 2011, should excel in the zone blocking scheme."

"And if the Dolphins target any offensive linemen in the draft, they will almost certainly come from teams that run “spread” offenses and/or utilize zone blocking – West Virginia, Texas A&M, Michigan, Iowa and Florida State, among them."

Definitely suits Pounceys skill set he should excel in this. All the others Meatball and company trends to be the big ground and pound this should be a interesting adjustment.

Like the zone blocking scheme quite a bit. Dont like how we now have to rebuild yet another part of the team.

Reggie Bush in a zone scheme should be interesting. Any of our finheaven x and o guru's have an idea how he fits in?

Fits nicely with Thomas running style...he is a very good one-cut back.

Like the zone blocking scheme quite a bit. Dont like how we now have to rebuild yet another part of the team.

Reggie Bush in a zone scheme should be interesting. Any of our finheaven x and o guru's have an idea how he fits in?

For guys like Bush with that sudden burst this scheme gives them great holes too the second level.

this fits daniel thomas very well as the earlier poster stated...one cut and get north and south...i'd watch out for the gettis kid from iowa with a late round pick...very good athlete...came to iowa at 225 lbs though so may be maxed out frame wise as a player...

more fuel for the lydon murthas the guy they want to start at right tackle also...barring something falling in our laps in the draft

I wonder how many linemen are we going to draft this year. My feeling is 2(T and G)to go along with Long and Pouncy. Not sure who the other starter will be at this point. I'm sure things will start making more sense after the draft.

Ozzy rules!!

At least Ireland is getting rid of pieces and fitting pieces to fit what both Philbin & Sherman want. I think he also done same with the signing of Richard Marshall for Coyle.

i fail to see how this switch is gonna be a good thing for incognito...he with the cement feet...pouncey with his athleticism and feet will make a terrific zbs player...

i fail to see how this switch is gonna be a good thing for incognito...he with the cement feet...pouncey with his athleticism and feet will make a terrific zbs player...

I don't think this switch is the best thing for Long either

I don't think this switch is the best thing for Long either

ehh...he's got pretty good feet...and he's an athlete...i think he'll be fine...might be a bit of a transition though from a power player...but long just adapts to anything

i'd be more worried about his durability at this stage...

Back
Top Bottom