DB coach Lou Anarumo has been let go | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DB coach Lou Anarumo has been let go

I am hearing Frank Bush was instrumental in introducing the "safety to LB" hybrid for the Rams with Mark Barron. Barron (6'1 213) actually plays inside in the 3-4 but then other teams started trying this out in different schemes.

Deone Bucannon (6'1 211) also plays inside in a 3-4 in AZ.

The JAGS use 6'3 218 lb Telvin Smith as a WLB in the 4-3.

Sua Cravens (6'0 226) in Washington....

Maybe they will make a switch for TJ and draft a FS.

Firing Anarumo surprised me because of the development of the young CBs on the roster over the past 2 years, but it is good that higher standards and expectations are being set.
Q1) Out of interest, would this decision to let Anarumo go - would it have been made by Defensive Coordinator, Matt Burke or would it have been a Gase decision?
Q2) Who is in the mix to get the job?

Firing Anarumo surprised me because of the development of the young CBs on the roster over the past 2 years, but it is good that higher standards and expectations are being set.
Q1) Out of interest, would this decision to let Anarumo go - would it have been made by Defensive Coordinator, Matt Burke or would it have been a Gase decision?
Q2) Who is in the mix to get the job?

It would be hard as outsider to distinguish the line between development and talent. Who's to say how much he did in development and how much was done with already developed talent. How much were they helped by other players? DC? By the same token, did he maximize the development? Did he meet the HC's expectations in his dealing with these players? Did he hold players accountable and fix problems or were they wildly inconsistent? This group has, at times, been very impressive but then turn around the next week and get toasted by missing assignments, etc. Granted they have not always had the most talent. The talent has gotten better.

When Lou took over as DB coach he had....

2012 Sean Smith, Richard Marshall and Nolan Carroll (27th in yards, 6th in passing TD's)
2013 Brent Grimes, Carroll, Will Davis, Jimmy Wilson, Jamar Taylor (16th in yards, 3rd in passing TD's)
2014 Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis (6th in yards, 20th in passing TD's)
2015 Brent Grimes, Brice McCain, Bobby McCain, Jamar Taylor, Tony Lippett (21st in yards, 25th passing TD's)
2016 Byron Maxwell, Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Tony Lippett (18th in yards, 25th passing TD's)
2017 Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Cordrea Tankersley, Alterraun Verner (17th in yards, 23rd passing TD's)

Our safeties over that span have primarily been Reshad Jones matched up with Michael Thomas or TJ McD, Nate Allen, IAQ, Walt Aikens, Louis Delmas, Jimmy Wilson & Chris Clemons.

I'm not seeing a lot of development. I see some players like Jamar Taylor thriving in Cleveland of all places. We have seen a good year out of Bobby McC and some inconsistent play by a lot of other starters. Not to say it was all his fault but I don't really have a problem moving on after this track record over 6 seasons.

I do see some promising signs from our young corners but not sure how much can be credited to Lou. Could be that his style/personality is just too similar to that of Joe Philbin and not Adam Gase. In that case a change is a good thing.

I am hearing Frank Bush was instrumental in introducing the "safety to LB" hybrid for the Rams with Mark Barron. Barron (6'1 213) actually plays inside in the 3-4 but then other teams started trying this out in different schemes.

Deone Bucannon (6'1 211) also plays inside in a 3-4 in AZ.

The JAGS use 6'3 218 lb Telvin Smith as a WLB in the 4-3.

Sua Cravens (6'0 226) in Washington....

Maybe they will make a switch for TJ and draft a FS.
I also like flexibility of Derwin James in this aspect. S/ WLB

Kdawg you've seen my scoops so you know I've got good info so I'll put this here for the main board.

There was a lot of disagreement on the defensive staff Matt Burke had a vision to do what he learned under Jim Schwartz. Frank Bush (who like Schwartz and and Burke worked under Jeff Fisher) was on that page. Lou was not. That is why you saw a lot of breakdowns. Gase respects Lou, but this was more of getting everybody on the same page

Williams (the DL coach) was more of a matter of time firing. Team was not impressed with his work

That makes the most sense, it's Burke who needs to communicate the most with the position coaches, not Gase

It would be hard as outsider to distinguish the line between development and talent. Who's to say how much he did in development and how much was done with already developed talent. How much were they helped by other players? DC? By the same token, did he maximize the development? Did he meet the HC's expectations in his dealing with these players? Did he hold players accountable and fix problems or were they wildly inconsistent? This group has, at times, been very impressive but then turn around the next week and get toasted by missing assignments, etc. Granted they have not always had the most talent. The talent has gotten better.

When Lou took over as DB coach he had....

2012 Sean Smith, Richard Marshall and Nolan Carroll (27th in yards, 6th in passing TD's)
2013 Brent Grimes, Carroll, Will Davis, Jimmy Wilson, Jamar Taylor (16th in yards, 3rd in passing TD's)
2014 Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis (6th in yards, 20th in passing TD's)
2015 Brent Grimes, Brice McCain, Bobby McCain, Jamar Taylor, Tony Lippett (21st in yards, 25th passing TD's)
2016 Byron Maxwell, Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Tony Lippett (18th in yards, 25th passing TD's)
2017 Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Cordrea Tankersley, Alterraun Verner (17th in yards, 23rd passing TD's)

Our safeties over that span have primarily been Reshad Jones matched up with Michael Thomas or TJ McD, Nate Allen, IAQ, Walt Aikens, Louis Delmas, Jimmy Wilson & Chris Clemons.

I'm not seeing a lot of development. I see some players like Jamar Taylor thriving in Cleveland of all places. We have seen a good year out of Bobby McC and some inconsistent play by a lot of other starters. Not to say it was all his fault but I don't really have a problem moving on after this track record over 6 seasons.

I do see some promising signs from our young corners but not sure how much can be credited to Lou. Could be that his style/personality is just too similar to that of Joe Philbin and not Adam Gase. In that case a change is a good thing.
I think you 100% correct about Lou, having a Philbin type personality. I believe Gase wants a more aggressive style overall. The 2 new coaching hires are guys with aggressive styles. Burke is on record as saying he wants to be an aggressive attacking defense. Add up all the dots and I think we fans can expect a new DB coach who is aggressive by nature in his teachings. When the Dolphin’s played press man, we witnessed 2 of the best games played by a Miami Dolphins CB in Xavian Howard against Denver and New England. I think that’s indicitive of what Gase wants. I’m hopeful that whoever the new DB coach is, he’ll be a great teacher and have the ability to take Howard’s and Tankersleys talents to the next level. Hopefully that coach will be Kris Richards?

We raced to pick up Loggains as Offensive Coordinator from Chicago, Washburn as O-line Coach from Chicago, Kocurek as D-line Coach from Detroit and Eric Studesville, the RB Coach from Denver but it's been 2 weeks since Anarumo was let go and we haven't heard boo about his replacement as DB Coach. Are they possibly waiting for a coach to complete his season elsewhere or someone who is about to be let go in when Matt Patricia makes his appointments in Detroit? What is the word? Seems unusual to race fast to hire all the others and twiddle our thumbs for the remaining coach.

Last edited:
We raced to pick up Loggains as Offensive Coordinator, Washburn as O-line Coach, Kocurek as D-line Coach and the RB Coach from Denver but it's been 2 weeks since Anarumo was let go and we haven't heard about his replace as DB Coach. Are they possibly waiting for a coach to complete his season elsewhere or someone who is about to be let go in Detroit when Matt Patricia makes his appointments in Detroit? What is the word? Seems unusual to race fast to hire all the others and twiddle our thumbs for the remaining coach.
I can only think of someone from Philly at this point. Based on Burkes defense it makes the most sense. Other than that Ivan drawing a blank. Everybody else is fair game at this point

I honestly don’t see the hate for Burke.

His unit played as well as it could’ve given circumstances. If Miami would’ve had an offense that could’ve consistently scored and moved the ball then the defense would’ve been even better.

The DL coach move will be a huge get. All our DL will improve. LBs were a weakness and the secondary play got way better by the end of the year, specifically X Howard. Tank had a lot of rookie moments. Luckily he had a lot of those moments early at Clemson too and then turned around and became the best corner on that team.

Most of the people who are demanding Burke get the ax, are the first who would absolutely panic if Bill Belichick hired Burke to replace Matt Patricia.

Pretty soon it’ll be an all-Gase staff with the exception of Rizzi, who seems to be the J. Edgar Hoover of Dolphins Assistant Coaches...and not a bad one at that.

I, for one, would welcome the 3-4, as it seems that we’d have the ideal personnel for it...though I don’t know where Suh would fit?

I think he would be a great DE in the 3-4..like Richard Seymour or Justin Smith. Might even extend his career.

Back
Top Bottom