Dez Bryant vs Golden Tate | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dez Bryant vs Golden Tate

Not to distract from the 2 WR's in question, but someone who has been quietly having a monster year is Danario Alexander from Missouri. He could be had in later rounds and has shown this year tons of play making ability. Could be something to consider if they draft defense in the early rounds.

I hope we go OLB with the first pick then ILB and if there is a stud TE available in the 3rd round get him.

Here's a list of very good number 1 recievers (or previous number 1 recievers on teams) that are 6' or shorter:

Greg Jennings
Santonio Holmes
Steve Smith
Roddy White
Hines Ward
Desean Jackson
Reggie Wayne
Donald Driver

Anquan Boldin is 6'1.

I guessing having these guys as number 1 recievers are overrated right?

People don't realize that while they may be small some of them also have insane jumping abilities, speed and body control, which can take away any advantage the defense has because of size. Also, they usually are going up against corners that are relatively the same size.

Size is becoming overrated at the wide reciever position. I'm not saying it isn't nice to have a WR that is 6'5, but at the same time, don't write off a guy because he's considered "short" in your eyes.

** Also of note: Ted Ginn's vertical jump was supposedly around 27''. You have to take into context a full wide recievers skill set, not their size.

Where did I say having said guys was over rated? Where did I say having short WR's was over rated? What I did say was in response to another post that the likes of Moss, Marshal, Colston and so on must be over rated, since size is over rated. Something you just put in this post.

5'11 190 isn't what I see MIA needing. Its that simple. And I said... sub 6ft...meaning smaller than 6ft.
MIA has a abundance of 'short' guys. I just believe MIA needs a big body that can catch the ball. With Fasano waiting until week 11 to show up and disappearing quite abit last year, MIA needs a big body some where on offense to catch the ball.

Where did I say having said guys was over rated? Where did I say having short WR's was over rated? What I did say was in response to another post that the likes of Moss, Marshal, Colston and so on must be over rated, since size is over rated. Something you just put in this post.

5'11 190 isn't what I see MIA needing. Its that simple. And I said... sub 6ft...meaning smaller than 6ft.
MIA has a abundance of 'short' guys. I just believe MIA needs a big body that can catch the ball. With Fasano waiting until week 11 to show up and disappearing quite abit last year, MIA needs a big body some where on offense to catch the ball.

You stated OVER 6 ft. Go back and look. I even quoted what you wrote.

But why do we need a WR over 6ft? If the player plays tall, then why does it matter? Steve Smith and Roddy White play like their 6'3. They may be short, but they use their body to catch the ball and they come down with it. I think it's more important we get a big pass-catching tight end in the draft.

Last I heard Illinois was trying to get Benn to stay. They just offered his brother a scholarship in hopes that Benn would stay for his senior year.

If Benn's not there the WRs in the draft will be slim pickings. Unless we can find that star in the later rounds.

IMO we get a WR in Free Agency or trade. Antonio Bryant or Anquan Boldin is my guess. If we want Brandon Marshall we'd have to pray to god they reach a CBA agreement otherwise he's going to cost a 1st and a 3rd. Same can be said for Vincent Jackson.

Miles Austin is also another player that the Cowboys will most likely resign.

There's a few WRs in Free Agency that would be worth taking a look at that don't jump out at you. Jason Avant has the size and build to be a good WR. Is he #1 WR material? I'm not sure.

Then there's Braylon "I make great catches but drop easy ones" Edwards, he's another interesting Free Agent because he has the big play ability that we lack so much. But he's just to inconsistent. I could really see him being in Miami considering we went out and tried to "trade " for him or according to Schefter we listened to offers for him.

I just don't see us getting a WR in Free Agent and then drafting one early in the draft. Unless there's a player there that you can't pass up I think it'd be a late to mid round pick. I just can't see the Front Office having a ton of WRs at the start of the season next year.

Hartline, Bess, Turner, and Camarillo are most likely all safe. Camarillo could be part of a trade but really what would any team give up for him?

Then there is Ginn. Although he isn't worth his steep contract he could go either way. Miami might keep him because he has the speed and could really benefit from having a true #1 WR.

I guess Turner could be cut but you never know.

So if we don't cut anyone other then Ginn we'd already have 4 WRs on the roster. Perhaps we could get a Free Agent WR and then have a rookie WR battle it out with Turner for that #5 spot?

Who knows. All I know is unless you're going after Bryant, Tate, Benn or possibly Lafell there aren't to many names that jump out and grab you. I'd love to have Tate because he reminds me a lot of a Steve Smith/Desean Jackson Hybrid I just don't see us picking that high to get him.

We'll see.

Benn is NOT staying. My nephew lives in Champaign and a couple days ago was at Kinkos when he saw Benn shipping all his belongings back home to D.C. Illinois may want him to stay, but with Juice graduating and Jacob Charest taking over next year (who is a horrible QB by the way) and Zook not getting it done this year, I think it's about a 99% probability that Benn enters the draft.

I would LOVE to see Benn in a Dolphin uniform. He's just the physical type of receiver the Fins need. At the end of the half on Saturday, he simply took the ball away from the defender for a 60 yard touchdown reception. That's what we need - someone that will go up and challenge for the ball every time. And the dude's a physical speciman too.

Well needless to say when you keep shrinking the guy every time you talk about him it looks like you just have a vendetta and you're not really approaching the question fairly. He's listed at 5'11" and 195 pounds on NFL Draft Scout. He might be heavier than that.

Either way his build isn't an issue. He's got a build and style eerily similar to Steve Smith. With some time in a pro weight room I swear their mothers wouldn't even be able to tell them apart.

Someone brought up his being a converted running back. What you don't realize is that NFL scouts look for that because they like guys that can run after the catch. Guys that can run really well after the catch often have a history at the running back position somewhere in high school or college.

He's basically a more physical Davone Bess with 4.4 speed. He needs some refinement in his route running, I agree with the one poster who brought up that he tends not to sink his hips that well in his breaks.

You stated OVER 6 ft. Go back and look. I even quoted what you wrote.

But why do we need a WR over 6ft? If the player plays tall, then why does it matter? Steve Smith and Roddy White play like their 6'3. They may be short, but they use their body to catch the ball and they come down with it. I think it's more important we get a big pass-catching tight end in the draft.

Yes I stated I wanted a bigger WR. Original statement was MIA doesn't need another sub 6ft WR. Then I got told by several posters that size was over rated. meh...

And I said the need was because MIA needs a big body in the red zone. Fasano isn't that guy. He took 10weeks to show up this year, while last year he disappeared games at a time.

And you can pick out the likes of SS or White, but they aren't the norm. They are special in alot of different ways. Is Tate special? Where as you might think he is, I don't. I rather go for the more polished NFL ready WR in Dez. And if MIA couldn't get him, then eventually look at a TE in the later rounds.

Again Tate being a WR for only a few years is a red flag to me. Its the same stuff I'm hearing about Sean Smith right now playing CB. He needs time to adjust and develop at the NFL level. I rather not here that about another 1st round WR.

Well needless to say when you keep shrinking the guy every time you talk about him it looks like you just have a vendetta and you're not really approaching the question fairly. He's listed at 5'11" and 195 pounds on NFL Draft Scout. He might be heavier than that.

Either way his build isn't an issue. He's got a build and style eerily similar to Steve Smith. With some time in a pro weight room I swear their mothers wouldn't even be able to tell them apart.

Someone brought up his being a converted running back. What you don't realize is that NFL scouts look for that because they like guys that can run after the catch. Guys that can run really well after the catch often have a history at the running back position somewhere in high school or college.

He's basically a more physical Davone Bess with 4.4 speed. He needs some refinement in his route running, I agree with the one poster who brought up that he tends not to sink his hips that well in his breaks.

Is that what you open up with seriously? I gave my reasons, you just don't like them. I dont' have any vendetta against a player who goes to a school I don't much like or care to watch. I sit through some of their games due to my brother. But I could really careless about Tate.
I have seen plenty of Bryant in person and on TV to understand the type of athlete he is. I have said I rather get the bigger more polished WR. The more experienced WR. The more complete WR, imo.

IMO A. Bryant will most likely be the one to wind up in Miami; however, I would not be at all surprised to see them make a run at Braylon Edwards as an addition or different option then Bryant. It makes sense in that you're taking him from a division opponent, he has a history with Henne and quite frankly, he is better then any receiver we have on the roster. Additionally, the Trifecta entertained offers for him in the off season so you can assume there is an interest. We all know the history of the drops but it does not preclude the fact that he would be a huge upgrade because he has big play ability.

That said, I doubt if he winds up in Miami. The Jets will throw a ton of money at him to stay there.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly what I am hoping for, if we can get an experienced WR, problem #1 is fixed, get a good I-LB in the draft to put next to Crowder (Yes Crowder), the inside becomes better, but we will still need to fix the NT problem, can't continue to hope Furgie will be there much longer.

absolutely. drafting a receiver in the first round is just too risky this time around - we'd have too much riding on it. and ILB's that are ideal for the 3-4 like spikes and mcclain don't come around very often - you have to snatch them up when you can. there is a DRAMATIC drop after those 2 - and we need that position filled in a bad way. move crowder over and have one of those guys take his job and let him roam free like wants to - problem solved.

NT is an interesting one for me. dan williams is probably my favorite of the bunch - but he might very well end up in the first round by the time april rolls around. like cody and odrick as well - and would nab either one in the 2nd round with no questions asked. but we might end up pulling a typical parcells move and draft someone like cam thomas or udofia late. that position has the biggest 'who the hell knows what we're gonna do' stamp on it IMO.

Last I heard Illinois was trying to get Benn to stay. They just offered his brother a scholarship in hopes that Benn would stay for his senior year.

If Benn's not there the WRs in the draft will be slim pickings. Unless we can find that star in the later rounds.

IMO we get a WR in Free Agency or trade. Antonio Bryant or Anquan Boldin is my guess. If we want Brandon Marshall we'd have to pray to god they reach a CBA agreement otherwise he's going to cost a 1st and a 3rd. Same can be said for Vincent Jackson.

Miles Austin is also another player that the Cowboys will most likely resign.

There's a few WRs in Free Agency that would be worth taking a look at that don't jump out at you. Jason Avant has the size and build to be a good WR. Is he #1 WR material? I'm not sure.

Then there's Braylon "I make great catches but drop easy ones" Edwards, he's another interesting Free Agent because he has the big play ability that we lack so much. But he's just to inconsistent. I could really see him being in Miami considering we went out and tried to "trade " for him or according to Schefter we listened to offers for him.

I just don't see us getting a WR in Free Agent and then drafting one early in the draft. Unless there's a player there that you can't pass up I think it'd be a late to mid round pick. I just can't see the Front Office having a ton of WRs at the start of the season next year.

Hartline, Bess, Turner, and Camarillo are most likely all safe. Camarillo could be part of a trade but really what would any team give up for him?

Then there is Ginn. Although he isn't worth his steep contract he could go either way. Miami might keep him because he has the speed and could really benefit from having a true #1 WR.

I guess Turner could be cut but you never know.

So if we don't cut anyone other then Ginn we'd already have 4 WRs on the roster. Perhaps we could get a Free Agent WR and then have a rookie WR battle it out with Turner for that #5 spot?

Who knows. All I know is unless you're going after Bryant, Tate, Benn or possibly Lafell there aren't to many names that jump out and grab you. I'd love to have Tate because he reminds me a lot of a Steve Smith/Desean Jackson Hybrid I just don't see us picking that high to get him.

We'll see.

We will most LIKELY sign Bryant as a FA and draft a WR in round 2-4 again.

I'd go ILB round 1 or OLB, then ILB or OLB round 2, (if we get a WR in FA) then WR round 2 or switch it up and go WR round 2 and OLB round 3.

if this upcoming draft is to the WR position what the last draft was to the CB postion would be amazing

last year I was prying for Vontae but many people on this board were saying no way we get him and it was understandable if he was not there when we picked

freak athlete
playmaker
hard hitter
and a true Football player

so I was crossing my fingers hoping that this kid from Utah that was 6'3 would last until we picked 44th overall in the second
but it would have been more than okay with him if we picked him in the first

on draft day
I was super surprised to see Davis on the board when we were picking
But I thought there is no way Parcells passes on Malaluga
then to my surprise we picked Vontae Davis (i was very happy but sad cause I was positive Malaluga would be a Patriot even happier when they traded down kinda)

then with the 44th I was hoping Malaluga would be there but to late and we picked Pat White booooo
I understood why they tried that but ive said it once and ill say it again for the opposing D to respect the pass out of the wildcat
we need a RB that can throw at a decent level not a QB that can run at a decent level

then with the later second pick we took to my amazement another CB with Sean Smith which was a great pick

now if Dez slips to us in the 1st and Tate is there in the 2nd (even though we could use a LB either ILB or OLB depending who is the best on the board) I would be okay with take WR back to back if its
Bryant and Tate

but It wont happen

now if Dez slips to us in the 1st and Tate is there in the 2nd (even though we could use a LB either ILB or OLB depending who is the best on the board) I would be okay with take WR back to back if its
Bryant and Tate

but It wont happen

As i posted earlier, i dont see why not. Unless we make a deep playoff run, were in a great spot this year for those hopeful for a wideout, the majority of the teams picking in front of us either already have established wideout, picked one in recent drafts, or have such huge and glaring needs they will burn the pick on another position.

Michael Crabtree fell partial because his injured foot prevented him from running the 40. Why is it improbable that Bryant will fall because he has been suspended and other teams simply dont need wideouts?

As i posted earlier, i dont see why not. Unless we make a deep playoff run, were in a great spot this year for those hopeful for a wideout, the majority of the teams picking in front of us either already have established wideout, picked one in recent drafts, or have such huge and glaring needs they will burn the pick on another position.

Michael Crabtree fell partial because his injured foot prevented him from running the 40. Why is it improbable that Bryant will fall because he has been suspended and other teams simply dont need wideouts?

I don't know.

Some could argue that the Jets could use Bryant. I'm not sure what exactly happens with Bryant. I know if there's no new CBA that Brown becomes a RFA. Does the same apply for Edwards even tho he was traded to the Jets? If so he'll probably stay a Jet. If not, he'll hit FA and then the Jets will have a glaring hole at WR.

Bryant would be a Jet then IMO. You never know because anything could happen but that's how I'd see it panning out. No way we finish behind the Jets.

With all this said if Dez is there with our First you get him.

dez bryant all the way...but he'll never be there when we pick

golden tate doesn't look like a 4.4 guy to me on tape...i see him in the 4.5's but i think he's a heck of a player and would be a very solid 2nd round selection and i think he's much tougher than his measurables might seem to indicate

i feel confident saying he'll be a difference maker in the pros...but dez bryant is a whole nother level for me...

Back
Top Bottom