Dez Bryant vs Golden Tate | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dez Bryant vs Golden Tate

i think if we had a chance at both dez bryant and golden tate in the first round i would go with dez bryant he seems like he could turn into on of the best WRs in the nfl

absolutely. drafting a receiver in the first round is just too risky this time around - we'd have too much riding on it. and ILB's that are ideal for the 3-4 like spikes and mcclain don't come around very often - you have to snatch them up when you can. there is a DRAMATIC drop after those 2 - and we need that position filled in a bad way. move crowder over and have one of those guys take his job and let him roam free like wants to - problem solved.

NT is an interesting one for me. dan williams is probably my favorite of the bunch - but he might very well end up in the first round by the time april rolls around. like cody and odrick as well - and would nab either one in the 2nd round with no questions asked. but we might end up pulling a typical parcells move and draft someone like cam thomas or udofia late. that position has the biggest 'who the hell knows what we're gonna do' stamp on it IMO.

I've had a thing for Benn for some time now. Personally I'd consider taking him in the 1st, but I could also see this scenario:

round 1: NT Dan Williams. Problem solved. Yeah, I could also see Spikes or McClain here, more so McClain though. I could still see Spikes slipping to the 2nd rd.

round 2: Benn. Dolphins trade 4th rd pick to move up in the 2nd and grab him. But if we took him in the 1st, that's ok by me.

round 3: ILB Sean Lee

FA- Antonio Bryant. Works for me, we'll see what other WRs we have a shot at getting.

Well needless to say when you keep shrinking the guy every time you talk about him it looks like you just have a vendetta and you're not really approaching the question fairly. He's listed at 5'11" and 195 pounds on NFL Draft Scout. He might be heavier than that.

Either way his build isn't an issue. He's got a build and style eerily similar to Steve Smith. With some time in a pro weight room I swear their mothers wouldn't even be able to tell them apart.

Someone brought up his being a converted running back. What you don't realize is that NFL scouts look for that because they like guys that can run after the catch. Guys that can run really well after the catch often have a history at the running back position somewhere in high school or college.

He's basically a more physical Davone Bess with 4.4 speed. He needs some refinement in his route running, I agree with the one poster who brought up that he tends not to sink his hips that well in his breaks.

Yeah that was me about the hips. I really like Tate but the lack of showing his ability to sink his hips worries me. I look into that as one of the fundamental aspects needed by a wide out. Outside of his route running and hips there aren't many flaws. He loves attacking the ball when its in the air, which is great.

Honestly, not sinking his hips isn't why he wouldn't be successful at the NFL level though...so I can't knock him too much for it.

i've read some reports that dan williams has short arms...any concerns

i also like the idea of packaging our 2nd and a 4th to move up in the 2nd round to get benn...or better yet maybe our 2nd and ted ginn...i'd do it

The guy that Jeff Ireland is in love with, Marvin Austin, has short arms. But at 6'3" and 294 pounds he ran a 4.69 in high school before he even came to college...so I doubt Jeff is concerned about that.

Dan Williams I wouldn't be concerned with it either.

And by the way, Arrelious Benn and Marvin Austin are buds.

Benn and vontae are very close to from what I heard. Benn would be nice.

id really like jermaine gresham. a big pass catching te would open up our offense. then we could sign antonio bryant. I think we will sign casey hampton or vince wilfork to fill the nose tackle spot.

I really want a vet WR (Bryant) and a vet NT (Hampton, Watson, Pickett, Wilfork, Franklin any one would do!), but adding G.Tate would be a wonderful move. He's gonna be one of these instant impact receivers that Henne will love to throw to.

i don't see how marvin austin would be a fit for us...

That's the guy that Jeff Ireland was in love with, when you were talking to him at Champions.

Austin was a five star recruit out of Washington DC, literally the highest recruited defensive player in all of high school. Not only was he a big time player on his high school defense, 80+ tackles with 12 for loss, 8 sacks and 5 forced fumbles his junior year, but he showed up to the Elite College Combine at 6'3" and 294 pounds, ran a 4.69 in the 40. Maybe the best part is personality wise he was very mature for his age and well adjusted, balanced.

I remember taking a look at Austin when he was a freshman at UNC. I was looking for guys on that UNC defense to spot out as they were down here in Tampa playing USF at home. I didn't really like Kentwan Balmer. I liked Deunta Williams a little bit. But this kid with the enormous butt, Marvin Austin really took me. I was pointing him out to my girlfriend and her parents. They ask me sometimes who the next great players will be on teams because they know I generally get them right. I told them Austin is the prototype, for his bubble, his quick movement, he was strong and powerful, feisty as all hell with a really high motor. He made like five tackles in that game with one for loss, as a part time player.

Since then, he's tracked and gotten even better. He's filled out some. This guy is an all day sucker, you had better bring your lunch pail and recognize that you're going to have a tough day against him. He is powerful, he's got GREAT bubble and thighs the size of tree trunks. He works hard. He still has a thoughtful, balanced personality.

When you break down his game, what you have to have is a vision for his growth as a player. That's a big key when you're talking about 21 year old kids. His body type leaves all kinds of room for him to get heavier, except right now he has 4.70 speed and it shows up on the field when he recognizes screens and chases down the runner from the backside. He generally does two things, when not tired, that avail him well. He keeps fighting with his hands and he keeps his legs churning. He's tough to deal with in pass protection with a double team, let alone a single team. In the run game when he has the responsibility of staying at home, he fights really well, can get his pad level low, and maintain his position, even against doubles. He knocks offensive linemen to the ground. He has the mobility to chase the stretch toward the sidelines, which is the one thing that Paul Soliai really lacks right now.

The one thing that I think he lacks is long arms. That's not important for a NT, really. In fact, it's probably why his best position would be NT in this defense as opposed to DE. What he needs to get better at is making sure he gets the ball carrier to the ground when he gets a clean shot at him, and he does get a clean shot at a lot of ball carriers.

This kid is special and he's 20 years old, will be 21 in January. He will grow a lot in the coming years. He wasn't the highest recruited defensive player in the nation for nothing and he has done absolutely nothing to embarrass himself since joining UNC.

You had mentioned before when you first recounted what Ireland told you, that he really liked a kid from North Carolina. You assumed he meant Cam Thomas, I'm guessing because Cam is like 325 pounds...but no I know for a fact that if he likes a lineman from North Carolina, it's Marvin Austin.

that's interesting ck but how do you know for a fact it's austin??? i see a darnell dockett like player when i look at austin...

i meant to tell you also ck that ireland was very high on gresham at te...very high

when i asked about aaron hernandez said "i don't know if he's a fit for us"

i meant to tell you also ck that ireland was very high on gresham at te...very high

when i asked about aaron hernandez said "i don't know if he's a fit for us"

I could see them being interested in Gresham and we've had several indications from sources that they are indeed high on him so that's good validation. Hernandez is not a guy I would accuse of being an on-the-line type of Tight End so I guess I could see them not being interested if they've decided that the only type of Tight End worth taking that high is a guy that can play on the line.

Knowing Jeff Ireland's style, Marvin Austin is the only guy he could have been talking about. When I look at Austin's body type I see a potential nose tackle because he's got all that junk in the trunk with those huge thighs, arms are a little bit short to be playing defensive end. He's very strong and he hand fights very well. He's one of those guys with so much power and athletic ability that he could probably do whatever you want him to do and that's a good canvass to work from. He likes being double teamed by 340 pounders. Coming out of high school that's why he said he wanted to be a DT instead of moving to some other position that might utilize his 4.69 speed better.

Funny thing is, i have heard form guys who watch college ball (i do not) that the WR depth in the draft this year is supposedly very good. I can only hope this is true, as we need a big #1 WR with speed.
but the elite #1 prospects are slim. I think Bryant, Tate, Benn all are elite prospects (they would obviously have to live up to it though) and possibly USC WR williams (but i dont know much about him

Back
Top Bottom