Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season?

Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season?

• Total voters
He has never in his entire career been more than an average football player.

This year he was below average and clearly the fourth best DE on the roster.

Due to Wake's age, he is now the best athlete of all of our defensive ends. Andre is the prototype 4-3 defensive end with his size and speed. I hope you're right about Harris and maybe I am being too hard on his rookie season, but I would have liked to see him make more plays with all of the opportunities that he got this year, he made very few. At least Andre had some injuries to blame his s***** season on, I was just really disappointed with the whole group tbh, especially after investing that first...

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...phins-think-andre-branchs-production-is-down/

There are a lot of things to like about Charles Harris. But his production in Year 1 was not one of them. I still remain hopeful, albeit very skeptical of Harris moving forward. That 4.82 time, sticks out like a sore thumb. Gil Brant is adamant about DE’s needing to run better than a 4.8 to be successful in the NFL. The reason for skepticism is within Charles Harris’ numbers, he didn’t ace anything, that would indicate he’d be successful at the NFL level. And he was pedestrian in Year 1. I’m not sure he’ll ever be more than a rotational guy, who almost gets to the QB more then he actually does. The Miami Dolphins need more than an Almost DE?

There are a lot of things to like about Charles Harris. But his production in Year 1 was not one of them. I still remain hopeful, albeit very skeptical of Harris moving forward. That 4.82 time, sticks out like a sore thumb. Gil Brant is adamant about DE’s needing to run better than a 4.8 to be successful in the NFL. The reason for skepticism is within Charles Harris’ numbers, he didn’t ace anything, that would indicate he’d be successful at the NFL level. And he was pedestrian in Year 1. I’m not sure he’ll ever be more than a rotational guy, who almost gets to the QB more then he actually does. The Miami Dolphins need more than an Almost DE?

All DEs 'almost' get to the QB more than they GET there.

I didn't love the player coming out and his combine was an orphanage fire, so I didn't have a ton of expectations for him in Miami ... and I was still disappointed on how much of a non factor he was. He was giving it everything he had too. Super raw coming out so if he develops some elite hand technique I see his ceiling as David Bowens.

people are brutal...I would say yes, not from a production standpoint but from a lesson standpoint and from what we saw out of him when the light went on...mark my words, no one will be saying this about him after next season...

I say no, if he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder than it would have been a yes. Even if we were a team like the patriots where we can develop people than sure. But where our team is at we need our 1st round draft picks to contribute. Hell Tankersly had a more succesful season. If our 3rd rounder has a bigger impact than our 1st rounder than I would not consider it a succesful season for Harris. Still think he can be good just wasnt a succesful 1st year.

I guess is sad how the standard for this team has gone so low that we have people thinking Harris's rookie year was a success because he played in all 16 games. I'm rooting for the kid to do well because he's on our team and he plays hard but he had two sacks and 19 tackles in 16 games. If that's success then is no wonder we haven't won a super bowl in 44 years but then again there are people on here who think Branch deserved the contract he got....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Carl Lawson was probably among the best with 8.5 sacks and he was taken in the 4th round (116 OA). He played 4-3 SLB.
Tak McKinley played 4-3 SDE and had 6 sacks (26th OA)
TJ Watt, 3-4 WOLB with 7 sacks (30th overall)
Taco Charlton (28th OA) 3 sacks as 4-3 WDE
Derek Barnett 5 sacks 4-3 SDE (14th OA)

Harris flashed and has a great attitude. He will get better in year two but it's still a projection. It would be tough to pass up a premier edge rusher based on what Harris did in 2017 but we also have a need on the strong side.

I would have given it to Lawson at the half way point but down the stretch every time I saw atl tank was bringing it.

I can tell ya one thing the falcons are stoked with that pick

I guess is sad how the standard for this team has gone so low that we have people thinking Harris's rookie year was a success because he played in all 16 games. I'm rooting for the kid to do well because he's on our team and he plays hard but he had two sacks and 19 tackles in 16 games. If that's success then is no wonder we haven't won a super bowl in 44 years but then again there are people on here who think Branch deserved the contract he got....lol

Ozzy rules!!

No failed drug tests or talking three years to recover from rotator cuff is a win in our book lol

i don't think he had a great rookie year by anyone's definition. you can see why we drafted him though. he is great pass rusher but he really needs to work on nearly every other aspect of his game.

The question wasnt if he was great. The question was if he was successful. I thought it was a successful season, especially the last couple of games. He developed and improved throughout the year. Again, were you better at your job the first year or the fifth...?

No. When you have first rd picks that don’t really contribute it makes you wonder why people are so opposed to using a 1st rd pick on a QB that won’t contribute this year. Basically the same thing but with the QB pick have more upside. Nothing from Harris this season showed he was worth a 1st rd pick.

Don’t really contribute? That’s a bit of hyperbole
His stats weren’t what many of us had hoped for, however he often beat his man and got pressure that resulted in others getting sacks or QBs getting flushed out of the pocket and making errant, hurried throws.

Don’t really contribute? That’s a bit of hyperbole
His stats weren’t what many of us had hoped for, however he often beat his man and got pressure that resulted in others getting sacks or QBs getting flushed out of the pocket and making errant, hurried throws.

Correct. First, MOST R1 rookies aren't amazing. Second, 'average' isn't bad. There are some who think less than amazing is a bad pick

I don't understand why ppl keep throughing his 40 time out there. He's a DE who will never run 40 yards. I'm sure for positions like that there has to be more emphasis on other drills? The word coming out was that he had a very explosive first step which is a lot more of a factor imo

I don't understand why ppl keep throughing his 40 time out there. He's a DE who will never run 40 yards. I'm sure for positions like that there has to be more emphasis on other drills? The word coming out was that he had a very explosive first step which is a lot more of a factor imo
The reason for the 40 times is about closing speed. He missed several sacks this year because he was just a little late. That goes hand on hand with him not being fast enough. One of the best GM's ever talked about him before the draft and he said that normally guys that run 4.8 don't become great players at that position in the NFL.

In college that first step looked fast because he was going up against college OT's and many of those were slow but in the NFL those LT's will not get beat as easy. You have to be faster than he is or have some amazing moves and hands. In his first year he didn't show that but we'll see what happens in his second year

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom