Diluted | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Diluted

FinfanInBuffalo said:
pigskinguy My fear is he will stay loyal to Feidler and let him start again. Being so stubborn in sticking with Feidler the last 4 years and not bringing in quality competition (no said:
Wanny, the GM, gave Wanny, the coach, no choice but to stick with Fiedler. He has clearly been the best QB on the roster for the last 4 years.

Griese was considered by most to be quality competition.

I agree, and that was the problem.

Greiese would have been competition under normal circumstances. But being injured and coming in late degated that.

Wanny has this team where it is trying to find a passing game. Overworking a great RB,and underachieving on defense. Exicution is a result of practice,and repittion. If we were consistantly missing tackles last year why was it not adressed till now? If our line was so bad why was it not adressed then? Who's call is that?

Muck said:
I don't think our our offensive personnel have allowed for any other type of mentality the last few years. Sorry, but I can't see our offense going for the throat more than they did. #1 we couldn't block. #2 nobody could get open. #3 the QB couldn't deliver the ball when we were open. We left a lot of points on the field the last two years. And that blame lies at the feet of the players.

Also, John Fox inherited a very good OL (which they futher improved), both his WRs, most of his defense, and a lot of high draft picks. Not saying he didn't do a GREAT job coaching, because he and his staff most certainly did. But he did walk into about as good a 1-15 situation as there is. There was a lot of young talent already aboard.
Well Muck, are you suggesting that the team Wannstedt walked into in 2000 was a lesser team than the Carolina team John Fox walked into two years ago?

Lets see, didn't Miami make the playoffs three straight years prior to Wannstedt's arrival as head coach?, didn't Wannstedt inherit a top defense?
As you stated Carolina was 1-15 when Fox arrived.

You know, we can blame the players for the next ten years, just as many have for Wannstedt's first ten years in the league, we can come up with every excuse possible to explain why such a great coach can't seem to get it done, but in the end, when Wannstedt's head coaching career is over he will never win a championship because he doesn't have what it takes.

Just how many years of Wannstedt failure would it take for you to admit he doesn't have it?

NoOffense said:
Well Muck, are you suggesting that the team Wannstedt walked into in 2000 was a lesser team than the Carolina team John Fox walked into two years ago?

Lets see, didn't Miami make the playoffs three straight years prior to Wannstedt's arrival as head coach?, didn't Wannstedt inherit a top defense?
As you stated Carolina was 1-15 when Fox arrived.

You know, we can blame the players for the next ten years, just as many have for Wannstedt's first ten years in the league, we can come up with every excuse possible to explain why such a great coach can't seem to get it done, but in the end, when Wannstedt's head coaching career is over he will never win a championship because he doesn't have what it takes.

Just how many years of Wannstedt failure would it take for you to admit he doesn't have it?
Do any of these coaches have "it"?

John Rauch, Weeb Ewbank, Don MaCafferty, Red Miller, Ray Malavasi, Forrest Gregg, Mike Ditka, Barry Switzer, Raymond Berry, Bill Calahan?

career totals...................... W-L-T (regular season)/ W-L (playoffs)

John Rauch........................ 40 28 2 | 2 2
*Weeb Ewbanks....................... 130 129 7 | 4 1
Red Miller......................... 40 22 0 | 2 3
*Don MaCafferty................ 28 17 2 | 4 1
*Ray Malavasi................... 44 41 0 | 3 3
Dave Wannstedt.............. 81 79 0 | 2 3
Forrest Gregg................. 75 85 1 | 2 2
*Mike Ditka..................... 121 95 0 | 6 6
*Sam Wyche.................... 84 107 0 | 3 2
*Barry Switzer................. 40 24 0 | 5 2
Raymond Berry.............. 40 24 0 | 5 2
Bill Calahan.................. 15 17 0 | 2 1

*= SB winner

I'm really glad many of you are not the owner!!! The Fins record has 41 wins the last 4 years. IMO thats pretty good. Wanny and Fiedler have done pretty well, Fiedler is not and never will be Marino, and Wanny will never be Shula, but times have changed, everyone wants millions of dollars in FA, theres a salary cap in place, and a Players Union that makes rules that don't let coaches do some things (see Giants!). If anyone of you who complains about either of them had any skills in those areas, you could be making the $$$$$, but your not and never will. Lets try talking about the reeal issues, like the cheerleaders, that mightt fall into your area of expertise.

inFINSible said:
career totals...................... W-L-T (regular season)/ W-L (playoffs)

John Rauch........................ 40 28 2 | 2 2
*Weeb Ewbanks....................... 130 129 7 | 4 1
Red Miller......................... 40 22 0 | 2 3
*Don MaCafferty................ 28 17 2 | 4 1
*Ray Malavasi................... 44 41 0 | 3 3
Dave Wannstedt.............. 81 79 0 | 2 3
Forrest Gregg................. 75 85 1 | 2 2
*Mike Ditka..................... 121 95 0 | 6 6
*Sam Wyche.................... 84 107 0 | 3 2
*Barry Switzer................. 40 24 0 | 5 2
Raymond Berry.............. 40 24 0 | 5 2
Bill Calahan.................. 15 17 0 | 2 1

*= SB winner
Well, lets take a close look at what you've done here, Ray malavasi NEVER won a superbowl, Don McCafferty won in his first year with the team he inherited from Don Shula. Mike Ditka proved when it was all said and done he was a wacko, not a good head coach, he had that one magical year due in large part to an all time great defense led by Buddy Ryan, by the time he was finished in New Orleans no one would ever touch him again. Sam Wyche also NEVER won a Superbowl, he did have some good years but when his last stint was done in Tampa he also was looked upon as not a great head coach.

Barry Switzer? lol, you must be joking, he walked onto the team Jimmy built with Hershal Walker and grabbed a ring as a spectator, not to many in the know would label Switzer a great NFL head coach.

All of your Superbowl winners have something in common, they all won their championship in their first ten years of head coaching at the NFL level, (Weeb Ewbanks won back to back league championships in 58',59' prior to the beginning of Superbowls)............Wannstedt has ten years in the books and shows no signs of being a man who will lead a team too Superbowl victory, contrary, his philosophy has had his own players criticize it. Again, prior to Wannstedt's arrival the Dolphins went to the playoffs three straight years, he inherited a playoff team that needed a little ofense added in, four years later we've missed the playoffs back to back years, and we still have big questionmarks in our offense, still have the possibility of a mediocre quarterback starting for us.

I respect the blind optimism many of you place in Wannstedt and Jay Fiedler as Dolphin fans who want to see our Fins win, but I think its sadly misplaced in these two individuals who have had plenty of time to prove themselves.......they have been weighed, measured, and been found lacking!

NoOffense said:
Well, lets take a close look at what you've done here, Ray malavasi NEVER won a superbowl, Don McCafferty won in his first year with the team he inherited from Don Shula. Mike Ditka proved when it was all said and done he was a wacko, not a good head coach, he had that one magical year due in large part to an all time great defense led by Buddy Ryan, by the time he was finished in New Orleans no one would ever touch him again. Sam Wyche also NEVER won a Superbowl, he did have some good years but when his last stint was done in Tampa he also was looked upon as not a great head coach.

Barry Switzer? lol, you must be joking, he walked onto the team Jimmy built with Hershal Walker and grabbed a ring as a spectator, not to many in the know would label Switzer a great NFL head coach.

All of your Superbowl winners have something in common, they all won their championship in their first ten years of head coaching at the NFL level, (Weeb Ewbanks won back to back league championships in 58',59' prior to the beginning of Superbowls)............Wannstedt has ten years in the books and shows no signs of being a man who will lead a team too Superbowl victory, contrary, his philosophy has had his own players criticize it. Again, prior to Wannstedt's arrival the Dolphins went to the playoffs three straight years, he inherited a playoff team that needed a little ofense added in, four years later we've missed the playoffs back to back years, and we still have big questionmarks in our offense, still have the possibility of a mediocre quarterback starting for us.

I respect the blind optimism many of you place in Wannstedt and Jay Fiedler as Dolphin fans who want to see our Fins win, but I think its sadly misplaced in these two individuals who have had plenty of time to prove themselves.......they have been weighed, measured, and been found lacking!

Thanks for breaking that down, after many years repeating the same posts over and over again, I'm getting lazy.

So, it is possible to be a bad coach and still make it to a Super Bowl as long as the playing talent is there, correct?

Now, all that's left to solve is whether Wanny the GM was bad enough to sabotage Wanny the coach.

Only then, will we be able to say that he was truly weighed and measured.

It's not blind optimism.

inFINSible said:
Thanks for breaking that down, after many years repeating the same posts over and over again, I'm getting lazy.

So, it is possible to be a bad coach and still make it to a Super Bowl as long as the playing talent is there, correct?

Now, all that's left to solve is whether Wanny the GM was bad enough to sabotage Wanny the coach.

Only then, will we be able to say that he was truly weighed and measured.

It's not blind optimism.

I think Wanny the GM was incompetent. Wanny the coach will get "weighed and measured" by what happens this season. So far Wanny the coach hasn't looked good but that may have been more a product of Wanny the GM.........At least I hope so.

pigskinguy said:
I think Wanny the GM was incompetent. Wanny the coach will get "weighed and measured" by what happens this season. So far Wanny the coach hasn't looked good but that may have been more a product of Wanny the GM.........At least I hope so.
Therein lies the problem.........."Hope", you can waste alot of years hoping if you ignore the facts and fail to use logic and reason.

Wannstedt should have never been hired to take over with total control after his horrendous six years in Chicago, not of a team with the history of the Miami Dolphins and everything it has going for it, this franchise should be able to lure the best of the best.

Shula the GM certainly hampered Shula the coach here, but universally Shula the coach was recognized as getting the most out of the limited talent he had. Wannstedt is not viewed that way, he has underachieved by most peoples assessment.

We have ten years of history to evaluate Wannstedt the coach and its not pretty, I'll say again, Of all the head coaches that have placed a team in the Superbowl, I defy you to name a head coach that didn't get his team there in the first ten years of his head coaching at the NFL level.

Obviously he has been given yet another precious year of Dolphin history to try to get it done, but just how many more do we waste on this guy? Does he get another 5 year pass because he was a bad GM and he's been stripped of that power? The poor judgement in sticking with Jay Fiedler for 4 years and his desire to have him in the mix this year should cast enough doubts on most fans judgement of him.

NoOffense said:
Therein lies the problem.........."Hope", you can waste alot of years hoping if you ignore the facts and fail to use logic and reason.

Wannstedt should have never been hired to take over with total control after his horrendous six years in Chicago, not of a team with the history of the Miami Dolphins and everything it has going for it, this franchise should be able to lure the best of the best.

Shula the GM certainly hampered Shula the coach here, but universally Shula the coach was recognized as getting the most out of the limited talent he had. Wannstedt is not viewed that way, he has underachieved by most peoples assessment.

We have ten years of history to evaluate Wannstedt the coach and its not pretty, I'll say again, Of all the head coaches that have placed a team in the Superbowl, I defy you to name a head coach that didn't get his team there in the first ten years of his head coaching at the NFL level.

Obviously he has been given yet another precious year of Dolphin history to try to get it done, but just how many more do we waste on this guy? Does he get another 5 year pass because he was a bad GM and he's been stripped of that power? The poor judgement in sticking with Jay Fiedler for 4 years and his desire to have him in the mix this year should cast enough doubts on most fans judgement of him.

Wow, hope is the problem huh? Gotta hate that. :rolleyes:

One thing about Wannstedt chicago tenure that everyone of his detractors seems to forget is that he was praised mightily for his players ALWAYS playing hard for him, and that's one thing that seems to have carried over to the Dolphins. The players may screw up and they may be overly aggressive but I have yet to see this team quit on Wannstedt and that is what I'm hanging my "pitiful" hope on.

As far as Fiedler is concerned, had he played a full season either of the last two years, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

BSQX4 said:
Boy oh boy, does anybody else smell the stench of cow manure coming off this thread? Let's see Wannstedt got beat up in a bar in Pittsburgh in the 70s and his brains were so scrambled he forgot to tell Olindo to make the kick that would have whipped New England. That's how stupid some of this stuff sounds. People don't normally say the Dolphins won despite Wannstedt, that lofty slot belongs to our beloved Q.B., Jay Fiedler. The Dolphins won despite Fiedler, sound familiar? Let's talk facts. Wannstedt the G.M. let himself down badly. He failed as a G.M. and that's why he was pulled out of the job. He wasn't good at it. Guys, like it or not Wannstedt is considered a pretty good Football Coach by most people that are in the know. I'm not a Wannstedt lover by any means but he has legitimate credentials such as Super Bowl rings as a coordinator. I think we will all be very happy with the team this year as long as the turmoil is over with. No more stink bombs like the Marino thing, our best player flunking drug tests or anymore reshuffling of the Coaches. Without the pressure of being the G.M. we will see a more relaxed, less overworked Head Coach. Dave only has to wear one hat, Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins. My biggest problem with Wannstedt is his absurd love for Jay Fiedlers' game. Jay needs to hold the clipboard because we have seen how far we can go with him and it's not far enough. ALot is riding on Feeley coming around in time for the real games. As I've said before I have faith in Marc Trestman to have the kid as ready as he's going to be. At some point he's either got it or he doesn't. If he doesn't we're holding some tough cards because we're looking at Fiedler starting again and he doesn't measure up talentwise. Every Q.B. we face is better than him so it's an uphill battle coming out of the locker room. I'm used to Miami having the likes of Griese (Bob) and Marino so it's extra tough to watch a third rate guy like Fiedler with the keys to our offense. Spielman went out and got Feeley. Let's see how smart he is and what we get back for our second rounder. If we didn't have to take a O-Lineman at #1 we could have had Losman. If he turns out to be a star for the Bills how pissed will we all be? Very!! Let's be fair, Dave the G.M. stunk and has been replaced, let's hope some things fall our way such as the O-Line coming together in a big way and A.J. Feeley stepping in and playing great Football for our Dolphins. Man, something has to happen good for this team!!

I'm just wondering what kind of spin we'll read next year if we have the same kind of season again. We won't be able to blame Wanny the GM any longer.

Muck said:
I didn't disagree with it. The Texans were moving up and down the field at will that afternoon. They had just scored 10 on their last two posessions. And Ricky had just countered with a 35-yard TD reception. The team was hyped.

The 2 would have put us up 7. If Wanny goes for 1, he gets mocked because a TD and extra point would put Houston up 22-21. To boot, the "conservative" tag gets thrown at him. So he went for it (for the football reasons).

And you know what happened the very next drive?? Houston drove right down the field from their 18 to our 6....encountering only two 3rd downs before getting inside our 10 while eating up nearly 8 minutes of clock. Fortunately, we held to a FG. But Wanny was right to go for 2 IMO.

It's funny. Wanny gets hammered for not taking chances and going for the throat. Then when he does and the team flounders, he's called an idiot.

Again, when the team starts executing and playing better offensively, Wanny will come off better in the eyes of some. Then again, I'm sure we'll still be winning "in spite" of him according to others.

The biggest knock on Wanny is not making adjustments at halftime when needed. He's content on nursing a slight lead and turning it over to the D. But the other team made their adjustments and that's where he gets into trouble. People can see that he did nothing to adjust and would be more forgiving for trying something.

inFINSible said:

iMO, this is a pretty ridiculous comparison. Wanny the GM/Wanny the HC! WTF?? This is where I think alot of folks get screwed up in yheir defense of Wanny. If Wanny didn't know what he needed, as a GM, then how in the hell can you expect him to coach? I mean, seriously now, if Wanny the coach knows he needs this or that then why didn't he as the GM go out and get it? Face it, Wannstedt is simply a lost ball in tall grass and won't get the job done.

DeDolfan said:
iMO, this is a pretty ridiculous comparison. Wanny the GM/Wanny the HC! WTF?? This is where I think alot of folks get screwed up in yheir defense of Wanny. If Wanny didn't know what he needed, as a GM, then how in the hell can you expect him to coach? I mean, seriously now, if Wanny the coach knows he needs this or that then why didn't he as the GM go out and get it? Face it, Wannstedt is simply a lost ball in tall grass and won't get the job done.
Are you implying that a great scout would be a great coach, or a great coach would be a great scout?

How, did Shula do as GM/Coach?

Back
Top Bottom