do the dolphins have a dominating player? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

do the dolphins have a dominating player?

Juice_56

Practice Squad
Reaction score
you have players like corey jenkins who if they are in the game they change the way the whole game is played, they are smart, athletic, agile, emotional, they are dominating. the same thing can be said about players like ray lewis and terrel owens. do the dolphins even have a player like that. this player USED to be seau. but i dont know if we even have a player like this. it could be ricky but im not sure. and it cant be one of our dts. sure both of them are strong but we get no pass rush out of them. surtain does cover well and madison is not near what he used to be. i dont think either of them shutdown an entire side of the field. anythoughts?

:lol: Corey Jenkins???? :lol: If he was that good he would be starting. Our most dominant player IMO, who I think can make a play any time is Jason Taylor.

Juice_56 said:
you have players like corey jenkins who if they are in the game they change the way the whole game is played, they are smart, athletic, agile, emotional, they are dominating. the same thing can be said about players like ray lewis and terrel owens. do the dolphins even have a player like that. this player USED to be seau. but i dont know if we even have a player like this. it could be ricky but im not sure. and it cant be one of our dts. sure both of them are strong but we get no pass rush out of them. surtain does cover well and madison is not near what he used to be. i dont think either of them shutdown an entire side of the field. anythoughts?

Hold on, let me get this straight...you used Corey Jenkins as an example of a dominating player when you could have chosen any Dolphin...would that be because his career 1 tackle or his 0 everything else? He's not ready to start and don't forget he's already 27 years old, and Ray Lewis has an inch and about 25 pounds of pure muscle on him, but I don't know why I would put those 2 in the same sentence. Anyway, if we're talking about dominating players I would say JT and Ricky are the top 2 with Surtain third. JT gets first because he can do it all by himself whereas Ricky needs the line to be decent to get his yards. JT goes through single and double teams, and the most dominating stretch I can remember was when we played the Raiders and he sacked Gannon on the first couple plays then was on his *** the whole game after, now that my friend is domination. Ricky needs no explanation, if you want domination watch the Buffalo and Chicago games from last year, but if the line sucks then he's in trouble...and Surtain can blanket his side of the field and is one of the most big-play corners in the game, remember that stretch last year he picked off a ball in like 4 out of 5 games and his man caught like 2 balls the whole time? He's a ball-hawk and he makes big plays at big times. So for me those are the 3.

I would say no, When the game was on the line the past years, where was the player to make the play to help the dolphins win. Maybe Mare with a couple of FG's . And sure you would have one player step up now and then. But one constient player, no. I would say no domainting player.

Cannonboy said:
I would say no, When the game was on the line the past years, where was the player to make the play to help the dolphins win. Maybe Mare with a couple of FG's . And sure you would have one player step up now and then. But one constient player, no. I would say no domainting player.

He said dominating player, not player who performs in the clutch. How can you say JT is not dominating when the guy has over 30 sacks the past 2 years and numerous other huge plays, he is a top 3 DE and all 3 of those guys are dominating (Strahan Rice). Just like RW is a top 3 back (Tomlinson Holmes) and all three of those guys dominate. Ricky in that last game vs the Pats his first year had damn near 200 yards and 2 TDs, how is that not dominating? (He never had the chance at the end to carry the ball so it's not his fault, but I'd say the whole performance was clutch). Did you see the guy on that day, no one wanted to tackle this guy, he was running over, through, and around people, dominating. How is two back-to-back 200 yd, 2 td games not dominating? How is 1800 yards, 16 TD's and almost 5 yards per carry not absolutely freaking dominating? :shakeno:

Finsflurry said:
Hold on, let me get this straight...you used Corey Jenkins as an example of a dominating player when you could have chosen any Dolphin...would that be because his career 1 tackle or his 0 everything else? He's not ready to start and don't forget he's already 27 years old, and Ray Lewis has an inch and about 25 pounds of pure muscle on him, but I don't know why I would put those 2 in the same sentence. Anyway, if we're talking about dominating players I would say JT and Ricky are the top 2 with Surtain third. JT gets first because he can do it all by himself whereas Ricky needs the line to be decent to get his yards. JT goes through single and double teams, and the most dominating stretch I can remember was when we played the Raiders and he sacked Gannon on the first couple plays then was on his *** the whole game after, now that my friend is domination. Ricky needs no explanation, if you want domination watch the Buffalo and Chicago games from last year, but if the line sucks then he's in trouble...and Surtain can blanket his side of the field and is one of the most big-play corners in the game, remember that stretch last year he picked off a ball in like 4 out of 5 games and his man caught like 2 balls the whole time? He's a ball-hawk and he makes big plays at big times. So for me those are the 3.

I don't see RW being a dominant player because he has to rely on other players to succeed. He is a good player, very good at that, but with a crappy line he can't do what he is capable of, and he cannot dominate like he would like. Just look back to next year, he was getting stuffed many times, If he was dominant, he would have gotten yards regardless of the line being ****tier than Jessica Simpson's IQ.

Finsflurry said:
He said dominating player, not player who performs in the clutch. How can you say JT is not dominating when the guy has over 30 sacks the past 2 years and numerous other huge plays, he is a top 3 DE and all 3 of those guys are dominating (Strahan Rice). Just like RW is a top 3 back (Tomlinson Holmes) and all three of those guys dominate. Ricky in that last game vs the Pats his first year had damn near 200 yards and 2 TDs, how is that not dominating? (He never had the chance at the end to carry the ball so it's not his fault, but I'd say the whole performance was clutch). Did you see the guy on that day, no one wanted to tackle this guy, he was running over, through, and around people, dominating. How is two back-to-back 200 yd, 2 td games not dominating? How is 1800 yards, 16 TD's and almost 5 yards per carry not absolutely freaking dominating? :shakeno:

because this wasnt last season when he didnt even average 4 yd/carry. sure he is a great player, but how can you call him dominating when, left with a ****ty line, he cant do anything himself? the guy above me kinda summed it up pretty good

Sorry primetime you are wrong. Its amazing ricky was able to run for 1300 yards with the line we had last year. Show me a rb who had as bad an o-line(as we did) and a rb who can produce despite the o-lines lack of skill. You cant do much when you get the ball and multiple defenders are in the backfield. I think ricky did a great job with that crappy line. Give him a decent line and he will go nuts (1800 yds). Ricky is a dominate player. Please show me a running back who could done better than ricky with our pathetic o-line last yr. You say a dominate rb could have done better with that line? All the other great rb's have really good o-lines.

Prime Time said:
I don't see RW being a dominant player because he has to rely on other players to succeed. He is a good player, very good at that, but with a crappy line he can't do what he is capable of, and he cannot dominate like he would like. Just look back to next year, he was getting stuffed many times, If he was dominant, he would have gotten yards regardless of the line being ****tier than Jessica Simpson's IQ.

I can call him dominating because last year playing behind the worst o-line in the NFL the guy still had almost 1400 yds...if the line is playing like crap he can still dominate a game. Remember the Buffalo game last year he had like 42 carries for 153 yards, only 3.5 yds a carry but the point is he dominated that game, he ate up the clock, and kept plugging and plugging with 2-3 yard runs behind that putrid o-line and he completely controlled that game. The week before that he had 34 for 125, bad ypc but the point is he controls the flow of the game, lets the defense get extended amounts of rest, and also wears out the other team to the point of exhaustion. He doesn't need a great line to be dominant, just his mere prescence on the field is enough to grab everyone's attention and focus on him. Who is the one guy you know the defense is trying to hold, the one guy everyone wants to stop, its always RW. Behind one of the worst o-lines ever the guy had a better season than any other RB in our history...the guy would be unstoppable with a decent o-line (2002) as you well know, but he is dominate regardless of his line.

:roflmao: I can not stop laughing.

Football being the ultimate team sport and someone says:

“Ricky needs the line to be decent to get his yards.â€Â

And

“I don't see RW being a dominant player because he has to rely on other players to succeed.â€Â

Let's get something clear. With out Ricky this team would be 8-8 at best.
Our D last year did not stop teams from scoring in the 4th QT. Of course our offense could not score either. "IF" Miami had a decent O-line...no! If we had a decent QB that could be accurate and hit a man streaking down the field instead of make the WR stop and wait to get his head taken off.

Now as far as JT, I love this guy, with out Tim Bowens and Larry Chester(and the rest of the guys). JT would be doubled team every passing down. And with his small size he would be injured by the end of the year.

Look football is a sport where you need supporting cast no matter how good you are.

So when talking about a dominate player on a team sport you have to look how that player effects a game. Does that player change the opponents scheme. That being said, there is no one player on the Miami Dolphins that does that more than Ricky Williams.

ThunderCane said:
:roflmao: I can not stop laughing.

Football being the ultimate team sport and someone says:

Ricky needs the line to be decent to get his yards.”

And

I don't see RW being a dominant player because he has to rely on other players to succeed.”

Let's get something clear. With out Ricky this team would be 8-8 at best.
Our D last year did not stop teams from scoring in the 4th QT. Of course our offense could not score either. "IF" Miami had a decent O-line...no! If we had a decent QB that could be accurate and hit a man streaking down the field instead of make the WR stop and wait to get his head taken off.

Now as far as JT, I love this guy, with out Tim Bowens and Larry Chester(and the rest of the guys). JT would be doubled team every passing down. And with his small size he would be injured by the end of the year.

Look football is a sport where you need supporting cast no matter how good you are.

So when talking about a dominate player on a team sport you have to look how that player effects a game. Does that player change the opponents scheme. That being said, there is no one player on the Miami Dolphins that does that more than Ricky Williams.

I agree with you about RW, but on JT the guy does get doubled alot but he still comes up with big plays all the time, I will acknowledge that he was much more dominant in 2002 than last year, but still the guy is a load for any lineman to handle. Watch that Oakland game and tell me that is not one of the most dominant performances you've seen...he makes the whole d-line better, not vice-versa. Chester and Bowens get single-teamed usually on passing downs and on running downs Zach sees the benefit of those 2, not JT.

Prime Time said:
I don't see RW being a dominant player because he has to rely on other players to succeed.

If that's the case, then every WR in the league also falls into that category....because they inherently rely on other players to succeed. Someone has to throw Randy Moss the ball.

Dominating player from the dolphins???? It all depends on how you look at the situation.

At Cornerback Patrick Surtain or Sam Madison being taken out could offset the defensive backs easily. Without those players in our Defensive secondary isnt dominating, so yes both of those players are dominating players.

Sammy Knights hard hitting also makes him a dominating player without him at strong safety that takes away a quarter of our tackles per game. lol.

Zach Thomas use to be a dominating player but hasnt been one in a few years.

Ricky Williams with an Offensive line and Rob Konrad in front of him is one of THE most dominating players in the league today.

David Boston is a pro bowler who has shown in the past he can be a dominating player, if he has a qb to throw him the ball he WILL be a dominating player for the phins this year. And so will Chris Chambers.

Back
Top Bottom