do the dolphins have a dominating player? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

do the dolphins have a dominating player?

Juice_56 said:
you have players like corey jenkins who if they are in the game they change the way the whole game is played

The only way Corey Jenkins changes the way the game is played is if he is on the rules committee.

Finsflurry said:
I can call him dominating because last year playing behind the worst o-line in the NFL the guy still had almost 1400 yds
:shakeno:

Travis Henry had more yards, less carries and arguably a worse line last season than Ricky. He also was playing on a cracked fibula and bruised ribs. Ricky was a one year wonder for the Dolphins IMO. He may break 1,200 but I dont think you'll see another 1,800 yd season out of him. He took a pounding last year and almost set the league record for carries in a season. Thats a recipe for early retirement (Jamal Anderson??)

I say your dominant player would have to be Jason Taylor. Without him, Ogunleye doesnt get 16 sacks. He is to the Phins "D" what Bruce was to the Bills "D" back in the day.

SpitOnSurtain80 said:

Travis Henry had more yards, less carries and arguably a worse line last season than Ricky. He also was playing on a cracked fibula and bruised ribs. Ricky was a one year wonder for the Dolphins IMO. He may break 1,200 but I dont think you'll see another 1,800 yd season out of him. He took a pounding last year and almost set the league record for carries in a season. Thats a recipe for early retirement (Jamal Anderson??)

Yeah Henry is much better than Williams...that's why your team is trying to replace him. :shakeno:

Finsflurry said:
Yeah Henry is much better than Williams...that's why your team is trying to replace him. :shakeno:
I dont think anyone will ever know the full reason behind the McGahee pick except Donahoe and the Almighty.

IMO, Donahoe is banking on McGahee becoming a superstar gamebreaker in the mold of Barry Sanders, Priest Holmes, Clinton Portis etc. He had the potential for that before the injury, but time will tell wether or not he can regain it. IMO Travis Henry is a good back, but he's no gamebreaker.

Just my $0.02

SpitOnSurtain80 said:
I dont think anyone will ever know the full reason behind the McGahee pick except Donahoe and the Almighty.
Ah... yes, he's your "Eddie Moore"...

SpitonSurtain, sorry the bills o-line was still better than the dolphins anyway you wanna twist it. To say ricky is a one year wonder is ignorant. You will see ricky run for at least 1600 yds with an improved o-line.

SpitOnSurtain80 said:

So if you had a chance to trade RW for TH straight up, you wouldn't take that deal? You must be crazy to think Henry is a better back than Ricky.
Henry is a good back... But Ricky is a superstar. With an improved line ricky will go for 1600+ easy.

As for a dominant player for Miami. It's Ricky Williams, hands down. Give him an inch and he'll take a mile. Or in this case, give him a hole and he'll take 60 yards. Ricky is the real deal.

Hey spitonsurtain... didn't Ricky run for 200+ yards against your bills, in Buffalo, in the snow? And you're second guessing him.. what a joke! :lol:

PhinFan2006 said:
So goes Ricky, so goes this team...well until the D collapses again down the stretch.

I dont think Ricky is the be all and end all of this team. If a passing threat emerges from Feeley then id say Minor or LH can fill the gap enough so that we can still win.

Juice_56 said:
you have players like corey jenkins who if they are in the game they change the way the whole game is played, they are smart, athletic, agile, emotional, they are dominating. the same thing can be said about players like ray lewis and terrel owens. do the dolphins even have a player like that. this player USED to be seau. but i dont know if we even have a player like this. it could be ricky but im not sure. and it cant be one of our dts. sure both of them are strong but we get no pass rush out of them. surtain does cover well and madison is not near what he used to be. i dont think either of them shutdown an entire side of the field. anythoughts?
Jason Taylor.......any player that requires regular double teaming to prevent disruption of their backfield has to be dominating................

Taylor has the ability to dominate any single LT in the game. Ricky, if given the ball 30-35 times will dominate a game. Surtain can shut down half the field. I also think McMichael, if given the chance would show he can dominate any secondary. He's big, fast, catches most everything in sight, and runs well after the catch. Target him 130 times in a season and I'll bet he'd put up better numbers than that of Gonzo, Shockey, K2, or whoever. One last thing, you watch, 2 maybe 3 years down the road, our O-line will dominate everyone. They're young and talented, they just need time to get on the same page.

The Bills having a crappier OL then the Dolphins last year???? Are you smoking crack? The Bills were consistently able to open holes for Henry last year, and Bledsoe was frequently given enough time to throw. Don't confuse Bledsoe's mysterious inability to remember how to throw the ball with poor blocking. They weren't stellar, but they were certainly serviceable. By comparison, the Dolphin's OL couldn't open a hole in a paper bag last year, and worse still, their pass blocking was almost non-existant. While bledsoe could take a seven step drop before getting sacked last year, Fiedler and Griese were lucky to get a three, and even then they had to move quick.

As to dominating players on our team, there are several: Ricky Williams, Pat Surtain, Jason Taylor, and Chris Chambers come immediately to mind. All of these players have the skill and heart to completely turn the tide of any game. A huge run, timely interception, sack, or huge downfield completion are game changing plays, and all the aforementioned are very capable of doing so, and have on many occassions.

Back
Top Bottom