Do You Guys Care?? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do You Guys Care??

dolfan87 said:
Being a former admin of this site, I have watched it grow from a small time fan site, to the major fan base force that it is.

However, of the over 4000 members, do you know how many of you have ponied up the dough to become a premium member?

Want to know the sick part? at least 4 of those are the admins of this site, and one is a freaking Bills fan. A BILLS FAN!!

I think that is the saddest thing I have ever heard. It takes 24 premium members at $84 a year to keep this website on the internet.

I told AJ yesterday that he should just charge every single one of you. Hell at .99 cents per member, per year, he would be flowing in cash!

But of course he said no. So he is going to auction off some of his Dolphins gear to help pay the expenses. Nice huh?

17 more to go, and the Dolphins faithful are proving yet again to need a swift kick in the butt to get it rolling

I am ashamed of those of you who can honestly afford it, because I know of the over 4000 at least 17 of you CAN!

If this post sounds angry, well it is. You use this place every single day, so have some respect, and pony up.

end rant

Gram
Let me make my stance on this clear:

FinHeaven is a great site, and I've thought about becoming a premium member many times because I realize that this site doesn't run on peanuts, but I'm not willing to make that investment at this time.

While we all understand your point, my guess is (and I could be wrong) you won't get many takers, considering the rude way in which you went about it. Who are you to tell us what to do with our money? We have a lack of premium members, and your response is....a rant? :rolleyes: Good luck with that approach in business or with life in general.

This kind of stuff needs to be left to AJ, Muck, TerryTate, and the rest of the staff. They market this site the right way, and communicate with members respectfully.

BLUEPHIN said:
2 kids, mortgage, car insurance, 2 freakin dogs, one mother-in-law and direct - tv(sunday ticket), my wife would have my soul if i kicked in cash like that - sorry boys.
P.S. - dolfan87 , you ever hear the saying - you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar, ...just something to think about.
Exactly. Getting mad and ranting is sure as hell not going to influence us to sign up.

dolfan87 said:
Wow,

First of all yes I have heard that you catch more flies with honey, however that wasn't working. There is a real nice honey post stuck up at the top of this page. Since I am no longer a member of the administration, I don't HAVE to be nice about this at all. I am just one of you guys now.

Second of all, I am talking to those members of this board WHO CAN AFFORD THE $84.

If you can't afford it, then I am not talking to you.

If you want to donate a $1, $5, $10, $25, whatever...then do it soon, cause what really made me upset was hearing that AJ had to put his stuff on e bay. That is crappy, and you all know it.

I have a wife, 4 year old, dog, mortgage, direct T.V., a car to rebuild, and this site is still important enough to me to pay the $84.

Whoever made the "should of had prior planning" B.S. statement, I have this to say; what would you of done?

As this site grew, and grew, and grew, it got to the point where AJ and I were freaking out trying to figure out how to pay for this place. We switched to a cheaper server, and the site promptly crashed every couple days. We tried getting advertisers to step up, with very limited success.

There were two options, shut this place down (which we ALMOST did) or ask for help from the people who use this place everyday.

So don't give me this "prior planning" crap.

Look if you all don't care if Fin Heaven is around, then don't pay. Almost everyone who has replied to this thread seems to rank this place just above the toilet paper they wipe with.

However, if Fin Heaven means anything at all to you, if you would miss this place when it gone, then figure out how much it would mean to you to keep it around, and send it A.J.'s way.

Gram
No one cares about what you have to say if you act like an arrogant jackass about it. We get the point, but you're demanding and not asking, and you have no right to tell us what to do with our money.

Dolfan954 said:
Let me make my stance on this clear:

FinHeaven is a great site, and I've thought about becoming a premium member many times because I realize that this site doesn't run on peanuts, but I'm not willing to make that investment at this time.

While we all understand your point, my guess is (and I could be wrong) you won't get many takers, considering the rude way in which you went about it. Who are you to tell us what to do with our money? We have a lack of premium members, and your response is....a rant? :rolleyes: Good luck with that approach in business or with life in general.

This kind of stuff needs to be left to AJ, Muck, TerryTate, and the rest of the staff. They market this site the right way, and communicate with members respectfully.

We see your point, and understand completely...
You have to understand that Gram was frustrated over what he saw as an unnecessary sacrifice on AJ's part to scrape up money to keep this thing going. Feeling the need to sell off his beloved Dolphins memorabilia on Ebay is something not many of us would do to maintain a website. Sure, I'd sell every last Dolphins item I had, if it came down to that in order to feed my children... but for a website? :hmmm: honestly... how many of us would do that? AJ has been driven to make this site the best, and he's done a damn good job of it, and sacrificed more than most of you know... it's cost him loads of time, money, sweat, and sleep ... for profit? no... for Dol-Fans.
True, you get more flies with honey... but when you put out some honey, and the flies complain because it's not sweet enough... you get frustrated and pick up a fly swatter... OK...bad analogy, we're not ever going to swat anyone..... but you see my point...

Dolfan954 said:
No one cares about what you have to say if you act like an arrogant jackass about it. We get the point, but you're demanding and not asking, and you have no right to tell us what to do with our money.

OK... I think you made your point with the first post...

now who's ranting? :confused:

Dolfan954 said:
arrogant jackass about it. but you're demanding .
How dare you call him demanding :D

You may not also care about this but I don't think Dolfan87 was being a jacka$$ about it.

dolfan87 said:
Being a former admin of this site, I have watched it grow from a small time fan site, to the major fan base force that it is.

However, of the over 4000 members, do you know how many of you have ponied up the dough to become a premium member?

Want to know the sick part? at least 4 of those are the admins of this site, and one is a freaking Bills fan. A BILLS FAN!!

I think that is the saddest thing I have ever heard. It takes 24 premium members at $84 a year to keep this website on the internet.

I told AJ yesterday that he should just charge every single one of you. Hell at .99 cents per member, per year, he would be flowing in cash!

But of course he said no. So he is going to auction off some of his Dolphins gear to help pay the expenses. Nice huh?

17 more to go, and the Dolphins faithful are proving yet again to need a swift kick in the butt to get it rolling

I am ashamed of those of you who can honestly afford it, because I know of the over 4000 at least 17 of you CAN!

If this post sounds angry, well it is. You use this place every single day, so have some respect, and pony up.

end rant

Gram

Well, obviously your rant had the worst kind of effect. Any leader will tell you that rants don't work to effectively motivate people unless their livelihood is on the line. A sympathetic plea may have been more effective. I can relate to many of the posts about too many bills to pay for a free website. I feel like that guy on the TV commercial with new house, new car and riding the lawn tractor who says "somebody help me". To say I'm deep in debt would be a huge understatement. But even though I just found this website, I'm willing to donate 10 bucks. If some people just donated 5 bucks each via paypal, maybe we can keep the website going. I know this website is the first one I check, instead of Miami Herald like I used to.

WharfRat said:
This statement kills me....

what you're saying is YOUR personal things mean more. You'd rather have a closet full of AFO's, and post over 5000 times on this site the one year you've been here, and let the person responsible for allowing you to be here so much to sell HIS personal stuff, in order for you to:
A: Keep YOUR stuff, and get more
B: Continue to post on the site he sold HIS stuff to save, and
C: act as though he's asking for your last freekin dime, and forcing you to pay.

Nobody said you HAVE to pay... nobody said you'll be banned if you don't...

This site grew from a total of FOUR members to over FOUR THOUSAND in just a few short years. I fail to see how that could possibly be the result of poor planning. We're talking about a small staff of volunteers running this site. AJ and Gram (Dolphan87) started this site on their own. AJ a 14 yr old kid in Tampa, and Gram living out in Arizona. Now the staff consists of that same kid in Tampa (a few years older), Muck, also in Tampa, Myself in NJ, and people like TerryTate, P4E, Dolphan39, and others spread out across the country, who donate time, effort an money to this place so Everyone can enjoy it....all 4000 of you. It's not like we have a fiscal budget, or shareholders to "plan" the financial future of the site.

I've said it in the other thread...if you think it's a cinch to run a site like this, keep it stable, manage 4000+ (and growing daily) members, and offer the features that this site has, all out of your own pockets...then I invite you to contact a hosting company, and get the ball rolling. Good Luck. :shakeno:
CO wants to spend money on himself and/or bills...so do I. Is there anything wrong with that?

Did CO ask you how much it would cost to run a website? Is he interested in running a website?

Is that what his post was about?

That's the kind of arrogance and disrespect I'm talking about.

Apparently you feel the need to talk down to the rest of the members here and try to make them feel bad for not donating money. That's beyond absurd. I've never heard of any non profit organization asking for money like this. No one is forcing us, but you and dolfan87 want to make it seem like we're all jerks for not contributing. I realize that it takes a lot to run this site, but you have no right to talk down to any member just because he or she chooses to do something else with his or her money.

I'll give it to you straight. Ultimately, it's AJ's responsibility to make sure the site stays afloat. It's his site. He created it...he's responsible for it's growth and the costs that come along with it. If it flops, then it's simply a failed business venture; however, let me clear that up by saying that I realize this site is more of a public service than a for profit business.

The points you made about how hard it is to run the site are understandable, but just because the costs are much higher doesn't mean we're going to "pony up."

Funny how Muck always handles situations (no matter how severe) with class, and you choose a different route. Just something to ponder...

Dolphinizzle said:
Hate to say it, but I'd have to agree with this post. I'd love to help out this site, but I couldn't afford it. There are more important things in life then a Miami Dolphins forum.

Don't get me wrong here, I love the Phins just as much as the next fan. I enjoy this site, and the information I get, and the fun, in depth conversation from fellow fans around the world. But as much as I enjoy this site, and would love to help out, that price is a little too steep.

I would suggest lowering it, to maybe say $25 dollars a year? I mean come on, you said yourself you only have 7 Premium members. If you significantly lowered the price to support this site, I'm sure you would get many more fans willing to donate.

I'm sure you would get at least 50 fans of 4000, willing to give up 25 dollars annually to help the site. And probably even more than that. So lets do the math.

7premium members x $84.00 = $588.00
50 premium members x $25.00 = $1250.00

That's more than doubling what you are receiving now. It makes sense guys.

Just some food for thought. I'd love to help out, but I really can't afford it at the moment.

We'd like to try and keep Premium Membership somewhat exclusive...that's why the 24-25 member limit was imposed. However, if we saw that 50 people would seriously commit to $25/year... we would certainly consider something along those lines... no guarantees... it would ultimately be up to the Staff and existing Premies... but we'd give it a fair chance.

Dolfan954 said:
CO wants to spend money on himself and/or bills...so do I. Is there anything wrong with that?

Did CO ask you how much it would cost to run a website? Is he interested in running a website?

Apparently you feel the need to talk down to the rest of the members here and try to make them feel bad for not donating money. That's beyond absurd. I've never heard of any non profit organization asking for money like this. No one is forcing us, but you and dolfan87 want to make it seem like we're all jerks for not contributing. I realize that it takes a lot to run this site, but you have no right to talk down to any member just because he or she chooses to do something else with his or her money.

I'll give it to you straight. Ultimately, it's AJ's responsibility to make sure the site stays afloat. It's his site. He created it...he's responsible for it's growth and the costs that come along with it. If it flops, then it's simply a failed business venture; however, let me clear that up by saying that I realize this site is more of a public service than a for profit business.

The points you made about how hard it is to run the site are understandable, but just because the costs are much higher doesn't mean we're going to "pony up."

Funny how Muck always handles situations (no matter how severe) with class, and you choose a different route. Just something to ponder...

I miss the Sunrise Flea market :cry:

In my opinion, this site should have no problem obtaining the funds to break-even through online advertising. He'll you could even make some money if u go about it the right way. Grant it, it will take alot of work to get the right match between the advertisers wants and what you can offer with this site but in time you will be able achieve your goal of breaking even. I realize that you guys have pursued this already but I would try harder, there are advertisers that would love this site its just a matter of cold calling and giving them a fare rate. There should be no reason why this can not be done. I have personal knowledge of sites that get less hits then this and are able to make pretty good profits because the developers agressivley hunted for the advertisers. They are there u just have to find them and present ur case in a profeesional manner.

Hey everyone,

I'm going to try and make this quick, as I have just about 6 minutes before my lunch break is over.

In any case, I just want to say thank you to all those that have donated... any amount! Really, any amount helps out. In addition, don't think that if you don't donate that you're going to be banned or something... as that's totally not the case. We just want to point out that the site isn't making a profit, none at all. Heck, George just put about $200 into the site last week. I constantly put money into the site. However, there comes a time... like so many of you here, that you can't afford to continually put money into the site. While I still will whenever I get the chance, I need help... the site needs help. I constantly work on ways to bring the site more income... like, for example, if you scroll down at the bottom of this page you'll see a search form, if you use that search and happen to click on banners... then you're helping the site out. However, that search form doesn't change the site like huge ads would.

Let me just get straight to it, my last option is to put ads all over the message boards... I simply wouldn't like it. I personally hate ads on message boards, so I don't want to do it for the site's sake. I want to try and keep it as ad free as possible, unless, like the Google search, it doesn't interupt the site... if you know what I mean.

In addition, I don't want to make the boards a "must donate" in order to use them. The last thing I want to be like is the Dolphins Digest, where to even use the site you need to pay some money. You can ask any staff/premium member here, and they'll all tell you that I knock down many ideas that step towards this. I simply don't want it.

I want to see this site grow leaps and bounds, I have so many plans for the site.

Just think of this, and I have to head out. We're planning on having many contests throughout the season, including the football pool and fantasy football. Chances are... you'll be participating. If you win, and you most likely will win something... you'll be getting at least some of your money back. In addition, keep in mind that they have contests just for them... and there's only a few of them. So, you chances go UP when you're a Premium Member.

Anyway, like I said... I have to go. I'll reply back later tonight. But, once again... thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't say enough.

PS: I added a "Donate!" link at the top of the site, so you can easily find it.

Again, thank you!

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

ChambersOwnz84 said:
I see what you're saying, but Wharf made it sound as if we asked if we could come post here for free. It's the internet man, everything and site is free. Take a look at ESPN Insider for example. Go to google and type in, "ESPN Insider Password". Same thing goes for everything else you have to pay for online...it's all free, and with this being a message board you kind've expect it all to be free.

That post sounded a lot like..."if you have over 5000 posts and post a lot, and you're enjoying the site off of someone else's expenses, then you should pay $84 a year" (I know that's not entirely what he meant)

But like I said, if the site was shutting down I'd definately help as much as I can.
I agree. My point exactly. We all understand that it takes $$$ to keep the site running, but the tone of some of the posts on this thread make it seem like we should be ashamed of ourselves or something.

Dolfan954 said:

Again I ask...

Now who's ranting?

as for this being a "business venture" .... I beg to differ. This never has been, nor ever will be something done for profit, as the term "business venture" would imply. Public service? Even PBS has membership drives, and those that don't wish to contribute... simply don't contribute. You don't see them calling the station saying "What? you want how much for that beach tote with your logo? Are you crazy? That's too much, you have some nerve demanding that much money from me" or do they?

BTW - Calling people arrogant, jacka$$es, disrespectful, and implying one has no class, seems to give the same impression of yourself, that you wish to project on us.

CO84 and I had this discussion already, he and I have had such discussions before, and have always come to an understanding. I'm sure he's of the same mind I am... we're not angry with each other, just debating. Calling me (or anyone else) out for having that discussion is a little presumptuous on your part, don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom