Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins?

Maybe some of those SHOULD happen, but neither of those is going to happen. Here's what will happen. Grier will give him a huge extension, cutting his cap number this year but making it impossible to deal with in 2-3 years. We will continue to be good, but not great, making the playoffs, but not winning it all. Eventually, Grier and McDaniel will be fired. The new guys running the team will cut Tua, take a huge hit and totally rebuild.
agree. would be worth it if it gets grier fired. not sure mcdaniel needs to get the axe in this scenario though

therein lies the problem, which makes the point. if they wanted to trade tua now, with one year left on his deal, what do u think they would get for him? in order for someone to want him, needs to be another team lined up to give him 5 and $250mm. you think any other team in the NFL is ready to do that? my guess is no.
Agreed, and my guess is that no teams would have an interest in now acquiring Tua. But I guess it would not hurt to now shop the market for him and if a team offered the Dolphins some draft pick (s) or players that would be something for the Dolphins to consider. And if there is no interest from other teams the Dolphins would still have the option of playing him on his 5th year option for the 2024 season.
i do no understand why we are bidding against ourselves in this "negotiation"
Stupidity is the reason.

Agreed, and my guess is that no teams would have an interest in now acquiring Tua. But I guess it would not hurt to now shop the market for him and if a team offered the Dolphins some draft pick (s) or players that would be something for the Dolphins to consider. And if there is no interest from other teams the Dolphins would still have the option of playing him on his 5th year option for the 2024 season.

Stupidity is the reason.
yes. the other reason you do this is to get it through their thick heads that there is no market for tua at 5 and 250mm therefore there is no reason for them to offer tua that either!!! and it also makes the point to tua and his agents too

therein lies the problem, which makes the point. if they wanted to trade tua now, with one year left on his deal, what do u think they would get for him? in order for someone to want him, needs to be another team lined up to give him 5 and $250mm. you think any other team in the NFL is ready to do that? my guess is no. i do no understand why we are bidding against ourselves in this "negotiation"
We could get multiple first round picks for Tua right now.

We could get multiple first round picks for Tua right now.
If that is true the Dolphins should do that trade now. My best guess is that the only way another team would offer the Dolphins a 1st round pick for Tua would be if he agreed beforehand to accept some sort of short term prove it contract, such as 2-years for $30 million.

If that is true the Dolphins should do that trade now. My best guess is that the only way another team would offer the Dolphins a 1st round pick for Tua would be if he agreed beforehand to accept some sort of short term prove it contract, such as 2-years for $30 million.
I think he’s already proven it. He’s a pro bowl qb who led the nfl in passing. What more does he have to prove?

I think he’s already proven it. He’s a pro bowl qb who led the nfl in passing. What more does he have to prove?
My best guess is that the concerns prospective teams would have about Tua include the following, in no particular order:

1) consistently dismal performances against strong NFL opponents
2) 2022 and 2023 2nd half of the season Dolphins collapses
3) relatively weak arm strength
4) not much mobility within the pocket
5) not much of a threat to run
6) rarely extends a broken play
7) physical height
8) inury prone at Alabama and Miami, including concussions

My best guess is that the concerns prospective teams would have about Tua include the following, in no particular order:

1) consistently dismal performances against strong NFL opponents
2) 2022 and 2023 2nd half of the season Dolphins collapses
3) relatively weak arm strength
4) not much mobility within the pocket
5) not much of a threat to run
6) rarely extends a broken play
7) physical height
8) inury prone at Alabama and Miami, including concussions
I guess this will continue to be a civil war amongst dolphans. It’s almost like half of us are watching a completely different sport than the other half. I think of Tua as one of the best qbs in the nfl and you obviously do not. I can’t change your mind. You’re entitled to your opinion. Regardless of what either of us think, he’s getting the big extension so let’s hope we can get a Super Bowl soon.

I guess this will continue to be a civil war amongst dolphans. It’s almost like half of us are watching a completely different sport than the other half. I think of Tua as one of the best qbs in the nfl and you obviously do not. I can’t change your mind. You’re entitled to your opinion. Regardless of what either of us think, he’s getting the big extension so let’s hope we can get a Super Bowl soon.
You asked me the question "what does he have to prove?", so I answered it with a list of likely concerns that NFL teams have regarding Tua.
And other starting quarterbacks within the NFL also have issues and tendencies which are concerning, so Tua is not alone.
My primary criticism is not about Tua, but with over paying for a QB. If I was an NFL team owner I would not have signed Hurts or Herbert or Burrow or about 20 other current NFL starting QB's to long term $35 million plus per year contracts. All factors considered, including League rules for rookie contracts, salary caps and the team aspect of the game, it's just not worth it to overpay for a QB. It makes better sense to play QB's on rookie contracts or sign veteran QB's to 1-year contracts.

You asked me the question "what does he have to prove?", so I answered it with a list of likely concerns that NFL teams have regarding Tua.
And other starting quarterbacks within the NFL also have issues and tendencies which are concerning, so Tua is not alone.
My primary criticism is not about Tua, but with over paying for a QB. If I was an NFL team owner I would not have signed Hurts or Herbert or Burrow or about 20 other current NFL starting QB's to long term $35 million plus per year contracts. All factors considered, including League rules for rookie contracts, salary caps and the team aspect of the game, it's just not worth it to overpay for a QB. It makes better sense to play QB's on rookie contracts or sign veteran QB's to 1-year contracts.
I get your point about paying qbs big money. I thought it was a mistake for Baltimore to sign jackson. But you’re not winning anything signing vet journeymen qbs and most rookie qbs suck. How many qbs won the Super Bowl on a rookie deal in recent memory? If you find a good qb, you pay him market price. You can get out of the deal after 2 years if you want. The price is the price

I get your point about paying qbs big money. I thought it was a mistake for Baltimore to sign jackson. But you’re not winning anything signing vet journeymen qbs and most rookie qbs suck. How many qbs won the Super Bowl on a rookie deal in recent memory? If you find a good qb, you pay him market price. You can get out of the deal after 2 years if you want. The price is the price
Wait to see what Baker Mayfield/Cousins get. I think it will catch some off guard brother.
:ffic:

Back
Top Bottom