Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins?

It’s not a mistake. That’s the going rate to extend starting qbs
Yes, the Chargers, Eagles and Bengals did make the mistake of handcuffing their entire rosters by over paying for a QB .The Dolphins have several more attractive options than paying a so called "going rate" for Tua.

Yes, the Chargers, Eagles and Bengals did make the mistake of handcuffing their entire rosters by over paying for a QB .The Dolphins have several more attractive options than paying a so called "going rate" for Tua.
What options?

What options?
It's looking like 2024 will be a bridge year for the Dolphins QB position. Here are a few options:

1) Tua plays out the option year of his rookie contract and we all evaluate a year from now.
2) Dolphins now trade Tua for draft picks and the team uses those picks to draft a QB
3) Dolphins now trade Tua and bring in a couple of veterans for a low priced one-year contract. * similar to what Tampa Bay did a year ago by signing Mayfield to a $4 million 1-year contract

It's looking like 2024 will be a bridge year for the Dolphins QB position. Here are a few options:

1) Tua plays out the option year of his rookie contract and we all evaluate a year from now.
2) Dolphins now trade Tua for draft picks and the team uses those picks to draft a QB
3) Dolphins now trade Tua and bring in a couple of veterans for a low priced one-year contract. * similar to what Tampa Bay did a year ago by signing Mayfield to a $4 million 1-year contract
Maybe some of those SHOULD happen, but neither of those is going to happen. Here's what will happen. Grier will give him a huge extension, cutting his cap number this year but making it impossible to deal with in 2-3 years. We will continue to be good, but not great, making the playoffs, but not winning it all. Eventually, Grier and McDaniel will be fired. The new guys running the team will cut Tua, take a huge hit and totally rebuild.

Maybe some of those SHOULD happen, but neither of those is going to happen. Here's what will happen. Grier will give him a huge extension, cutting his cap number this year but making it impossible to deal with in 2-3 years. We will continue to be good, but not great, making the playoffs, but not winning it all. Eventually, Grier and McDaniel will be fired. The new guys running the team will cut Tua, take a huge hit and totally rebuild.
Maybe you and a few others should take a couple of years off from the team.

Maybe you and a few others should take a couple of years off from the team.
No, I've been a fan of this team for over 35 years. I want them to do better. I pray they do better. I hope they do better. They usually don't, but I can't stay away and stop cheering for them to do good. Does being a realist make me less of a fan than the the guy with aqua colored glasses who thinks everything is great?

No, I've been a fan of this team for over 35 years. I want them to do better. I pray they do better. I hope they do better. They usually don't, but I can't stay away and stop cheering for them to do good. Does being a realist make me less of a fan than the the guy with aqua colored glasses who thinks everything is great?
Ahh the aqua glasses ****ing comment.

From the same poster who wanted to blow the whole team up after the KC loss.

Ahh the aqua glasses ****ing comment.

From the same poster who wanted to blow the whole team up after the KC loss.
Yes, I did. In my opinion, this year was the year. We went for it and didn't make it. I've been thinking Tua could become what we needed, but it doesn't appear to me that he can turn it on when the pressure is on. Now, our roster is decimated, we have cap issues, we don't have many picks, our top two edge rushers are injured and we don't know even when they come back, if they will be their old selves and to gain cap space to make this team competitive, we will have to push the cap hits down the road. Have you actually looked at our roster now and how many players are free agents? Again, I seriously hope that I am completely wrong and they win a Super Bowl next year. I will gladly come on here and eat crow. But my opinion (which is the point of this board, right?) is that we are in a bad spot.

Yes, I did. In my opinion, this year was the year. We went for it and didn't make it.
I agree and am grateful for what Mr. Ross and his employees tried to do. He was willing to fire Flores and give the new supposedly innovative guy McD a shot. He was willing to pay Fangio a truck load of money to come in and be a defensive coordinator. He used the 6th pick of the draft on Waddle and brought in Tyreek to set Tua up with the best combination of targets within the NFL, and more.
The 2022, and especially 2023 season was the Dolphins pulling out all the stops to make it to a Superbowl, and I appreciate the effort, but the reality is that the team never even got close to being good enough to reach the goal.
Going forward the smart thing to do is eliminate the over paying, accumulate as many draft picks as possible, and try to build a solid roster of homegrown players. After two seasons of not getting it done with one of the League's most talented rosters McD is now on the hot seat. Considering a more economical roster for 2024 it will be interesting to learn if he can prove himself to be a competent head coach.

therein lies the problem, which makes the point. if they wanted to trade tua now, with one year left on his deal, what do u think they would get for him? in order for someone to want him, needs to be another team lined up to give him 5 and $250mm. you think any other team in the NFL is ready to do that? my guess is no. i do no understand why we are bidding against ourselves in this "negotiation"

Back
Top Bottom