Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins?

I have a feeling that should the Dolphins now sign Tua to an extension and the team finishes at 8-9 next season, all the current Tua fanboys here will conveniently forget that they lobbied for his big contract.
I doubt it.....most of us posting here are present whether we are right or wrong......as opposed to those that only show up after a loss or when there is the potential for drama.

No worries, if they sign him and he doesn't live up to it, feel free to call me out for thinking signing him is a good idea.

24 years ago was the last time the Dolphins won a playoff game. Nuff said.
You do realize that it’s a TEAM game and not just a QB game. If it was all about just the QB, the Dolphins would have won multiple Super Bowls with Marino but they ended up winning none because they just never had a complete team while Marino was the QB.

I really don’t care if you like Tua or not. I think the 2023 team was the most exciting team the team the Dolphins
have had in over two decades. Injuries to key players on defense and on the offensive line were the reason they didn’t go further in the playoffs, IMO.

As I previously wrote, 2024 should be a season that the Dolphins utilize a bridge QB or two, and reevaluate a year from now. Other than Tua, for the McD era we've seen only Jacoby Brisset, and Skylar Thompson.
Right newbie, there are so many 'good one's' available. Why do you think we had the likes of Briskett, Fitzpatrick, Dishwater, and Rosen? LOL Your advocating for a rebuild, which is asinine.

Last edited:
Unless Ross is demanding that he be included on the final 53 man roster because he owns the team, his age doesn’t matter at all. Like everyone, he is getting older and while I have no doubt his goal is to win a SB before he
becomes worm food, I think he learned his lesson in the Brady fiasco.

He will let Grier and McDaniel decide who the QB of the Dolphins will be going forward and I have no doubt that QB will be Tua for the next several years.
on this point i disagree. all owners meddle. to varying degrees. even the owners that meddle the least, when it comes to a 5 year and 250mm deal, at the end of day that one does not happen without the owner signing off on it. ross could for example simply say, he is playing out the 5th year option. ross obviously has not done that. sounds like tua is going to get his deal. question again becomes do they really believe in tua that much, or they just view this as the lesser of two evils. if option b, which i do not know to be the case, why would they be willing to settle for option b if that is what is going on?

Ross the very successful real estate developer bought a football franchise and has spent good money making it one of the NFL players most desirable teams. That said, he's hired people who have had their own agenda to put forth that caused little progress on the field. Ross only has so much time left. Many hate Ross for existing because of the blunders, yet he has seemingly 'righted the ship'. Ross didn't know the business aspect of owning a football team. I think he is learning how to win just as the 'football people' he hired are, it takes time. In today's world of instant gratification, there is little appreciation for effort put forth that doesn't achieve success. Many don't see the progress for what it's worth. Grier danced through his combine press conference dodging answers about every free agent but one, our 'boy's' favorite, Tua. I say GTF off Ross' back and enjoy the progress for what it's worth, and look forward to a team that has shown improvement the last few years, and shows signs of continuing the trend, despite all the "bridge jumpers" and "naysayers" here on the forum. Ross can hunt.
well we will see. this is another big decision that will define the next 5 years for us. hopefully ross gets it right. at 5 and 250mm, end of day this is really his call

well we will see. this is another big decision that will define the next 5 years for us. hopefully ross gets it right. at 5 and 250mm, end of day this is really his call
Except it does not have to be that way. There is a reason for rookie contracts to have a 5th year option that the team may exercise, which the Dolphins did for Tua March of 2023.

You do realize that it’s a TEAM game and not just a QB game.
My reply was to the poster who proclaimed that Dolphins management is competent. I question that if 24 years without a playoff victory is evidence of management competence, how bad would the record have to be for him to declare incompetent management, 50 years without a playoff victory? 100 years?

Except it does not have to be that way. There is a reason for rookie contracts to have a 5th year option that the team may exercise, which the Dolphins did for Tua March of 2023.
ohh i agree with that, which is part of the reason for my question. they could just wait and have him play out the 5th year, but they are seemingly going to hand him the big deal now. so why the rush?

ohh i agree with that, which is part of the reason for my question. they could just wait and have him play out the 5th year, but they are seemingly going to hand him the big deal now. so why the rush?
Seems like an example of stupidity to me, lots to lose with nothing of material significance to gain. If anything I expect the best chance of gain comes from playing a guy on his option year so that he remains hungry and motivated.

Hitting a sore spot. Loria was the Expos knight in shining armor to save the team, little did we know he wanted to move it to Florida the whole time he was there.

Now THAT was a bad owner!

Oh yeah for sure! Loria no doubt was a POS.

Seems like an example of stupidity to me, lots to lose with nothing of material significance to gain. If anything I expect the best chance of gain comes from playing a guy on his option year so that he remains hungry and motivated.
yes i agree. i dont want to give you a popsicle headache, but for an analytics driven team, i cannot make the math work. could tua have a year next year that makes him worth more than the 5 and 250mm they are thinking of giving him now? sure. odds of that happening (what % chance)? how much would it increase his market value above what they will give him now? odds he has a worse year, gets hurt again, etc and his market value drops after next year? roll out all the math, expected value, suggests make tua play out the 5th year option. expected value analysis tells me odds are after next year finishes his market value will be a lot less than 5 years and 250mm. I can live with the 10% risk of getting it wrong and tua getting somewhat more expensive. Or think of it this way, at $50mm a year there is much more room for tua to get cheaper than there is for him to get more expensive. He can maybe get $5-$10mm a year more expensive, but he literally could get $43mm a year cheaper. Baker Mayfield just got 1 year, $7mm for this past year. not saying it will get this bad, but you get the point, the salary risk reward is skewed hugely to the downside of $50mm per year

Last edited:

yes i agree. i dont want to give you a popsicle headache, but for an analytics driven team, i cannot make the math work. could tua have a year next year that makes him worth more than the 5 and 250mm they are thinking of giving him now? sure. odds of that happening (what % chance)? how much would it increase his market value above what they will give him now? odds he has a worse year, gets hurt again, etc and his market value drops after next year? roll out all the math, expected value, suggests make tua play out the 5th year option. expected value analysis tells me odds are after next year finishes his market value will be a lot less than 5 years and 250mm. I can live with the 10% risk of getting it wrong and tua getting somewhat more expensive. Or think of it this way, at $50mm a year there is much more room for tua to get cheaper than there is for him to get more expensive. He can maybe get $5-$10mm a year more expensive, but he literally could get $43mm a year cheaper. Baker Mayfield just got 1 year, $7mm for this past year. not saying it will get this bad, but you get the point, the salary risk reward is skewed hugely to the downside of $50mm per year
Look. Tua haters unite.

Back
Top Bottom